• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL-1200 vs AL-1500

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
i been reading up on both of these amps am very very curious, according to DX Engineering catalog it shows the AL-1200 able to do 2500+ Watts continuos vs AL-1500 says something different and for 30 min or seconds... Questions for those who one these or owned both I understand the AL-1200 is more forgiving that the AL-1500 but over all should they both. Both being power houses, I am seeking max power it can do over rated/legal limit as seen they are capable of and no before I go on it is like someone says it loads at legal which to me sounds better than pushing hard, I like how these do just that and know that they will take it and not worry about going poof lol. Now how true is it power as far as what all say and what's in like DX Engineering catalog on each and how long can they substan legal limit? Between each of these which is accurate on all day legal power vs how long max power and what is max power in them and all for all bands and pro cons on these amps? What I have read wow even seen same similar reviews on the AL-82 as well.

I have not owned either amp (I use the Ameritron AL-800H). The 8877 tube has a reputation for being a serious work horse, so that's the way I would lean. As far as duty cycle, the problem you will need to look at is heat dissipation and how well each performs that job. I can't answer that for you, but you should read the specs and respect the manufacturer's stated limitations.

Have been also looking at which can be be cranked up maxed and all some days they both can go 2500 half hour tone SSB so with that in mind just a shade under legal limit PEP would mean it would loaf along.

The tube in the AL1200 has a higher grid dissipation and therefore is more forgiving if you accidentally use the wrong band, overdrive it, or aren't tuned up correctly / have the band switch in the wrong position.

I knew and understood that part, but according to discriptions you can get more power out longer on the 1200 vs the 1500 but some places shows their is NO difference their totally equal watt for watt upto 2500 for 30 min continuous two tone? This is what looses ME. Though if so then come down to what your conveying 1200 more forgiving and if I read right it's the tube rather than the circuitry or am I getting that wrong?

Stop worrying about any differences between the two amps when running the crap out of them at their absolute max limits. Both amps are capable of exceeding max legal limit on the amateur bands and if you are considering which one to buy based on what you can squeeze out of it while running more than legal power then you may get some resistance from some folks since we don't really take kindly to operators running amps flat out and then some on the amateur bands and making the splatter problem like it is on CB. A tube with a high grid dissipation rating is highly preferred. I am currently working on a design for a home brew amp using a tube that has a grid dissipation of 225 watts. Since my exciter is only 100 watts it will be virtually impossible to destroy the grid. I REALLY like that safety margin.

Reactions: Crusher
Stop worrying about any differences between the two amps when running the crap out of them at their absolute max limits. Both amps are capable of exceeding max legal limit on the amateur bands and if you are considering which one to buy based on what you can squeeze out of it while running more than legal power then you may get some resistance from some folks since we don't really take kindly to operators running amps flat out and then some on the amateur bands and making the splatter problem like it is on CB. A tube with a high grid dissipation rating is highly preferred. I am currently working on a design for a home brew amp using a tube that has a grid dissipation of 225 watts. Since my exciter is only 100 watts it will be virtually impossible to destroy the grid. I REALLY like that safety margin.

No wondering if you can go that high which one would load better at legal limit.

load better? Not sure what you mean by load BETTER. They will both tune and load about the same. Loading is related to power output, and load impedance of the antenna. Either should do the same. I would pick the one with the more rugged tube as I have already stated.

Reactions: Crusher
Which is the more rugged and why is it more rugged vs other? Sorry just trying to understand this and that is all.

Which is the more rugged and why is it more rugged vs other? Sorry just trying to understand this and that is all.

As has already been stated the AL-1200 uses the more rugged 3CX1200a7 tube. It has a grid dissipation of 50 watts. The AL1500 uses the 3CX1500/8877 tube which has a grid dissipation of 25 watts. The leading cause of blown tubes in amateur amplifiers seems to be exceeding the grid dissipation. The higher the dissipation the more rugged the tube. Both tubes will easily provide full legal output power and neither amp is built more rugged than the other except for the tube.

Are you going to use this on the amateur bands? If this is a CB amp a mono band 3cx3000 will cost a little more but is capable of alot more power, and it is a very rugged tube.

Are you going to use this on the amateur bands? If this is a CB amp a mono band 3cx3000 will cost a little more but is capable of alot more power, and it is a very rugged tube.

Heavy Metal is looking at a commercially made amp for amateur band use...........eventually.

The 3CX3000A7 will produce several kilowatts without breaking a sweat however it needs up to 400 watts of drive to do it. 100 watts will make around 1500 watts easy and the tube should last a lifetime. That is the tube I am designing an all band amp around. I mean when i get the time that is. :confused:

As has already been stated the AL-1200 uses the more rugged 3CX1200a7 tube. It has a grid dissipation of 50 watts. The AL1500 uses the 3CX1500/8877 tube which has a grid dissipation of 25 watts. The leading cause of blown tubes in amateur amplifiers seems to be exceeding the grid dissipation. The higher the dissipation the more rugged the tube. Both tubes will easily provide full legal output power and neither amp is built more rugged than the other except for the tube.

What I can gather and see other than and correct me if I miss something but, the 1500 and 1200 are almost identical except for the tubes if not mistaken.

Heavy Metal is looking at a commercially made amp for amateur band use...........eventually.

The 3CX3000A7 will produce several kilowatts without breaking a sweat however it needs up to 400 watts of drive to do it. 100 watts will make around 1500 watts easy and the tube should last a lifetime. That is the tube I am designing an all band amp around. I mean when i get the time that is. :confused:

WOW so 200 would make 3000 but that's WAY over limit. I'm seeking that but in fact that it loads at legal limit so never have to push it or worry about over doing it. And that will ALMOST out last me lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned