• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANTRON 99 REDO ?

Just thought I'd shell out my two cents here.
For what it's worth, have you ever considered just going out & replacing that old deteriorated antenna with a newer, better one?

for a buck you can get a new Imax 2000. But if I were you, I'd get a Maco 5/8th wave or an Astroplane.

I of course have a Imax 2000, but I wished I would have bought an aluminum one. I just do not see how one strand of copper wire can outperform a total aluminum antenna with better ground radials.

But if spending that buck doesn't go over too well with ya, then I'd take the advice of recoating it with resin I suppose. I'm just very against trying to get 275,000 miles out of something by redoing it over & over & over again. Follow?

Say, that reminds me now. My caravan has 275,000 on it & after three transmissions & two engine overhauls it is still going strong! :w00t:

But the body is rusting away. :sad:

I suppose there is pros & cons to just about anything.

J

If you don't want to use automotive fiberglass resin, marine-grade urethane spar varnish with the U/V stabilizers can be used instead.

Could somebody help me understand why electrical tape would not hender the performance of this antenna ? It apparently will work , but like a dipole for instints , I realize the wire can be coated so I guess the same would apply to the electric tape working on the 99 ?

The signals still do the same thing ? My way of thinking is that electrical tape works as to keep electricity in and from shorting out elsewhere ...Do you see what IM saying here ? For some reason or other I feel as if I should understand this ? but it avails me ? Go figure. Hmmmm (The tape is the way I want to go for this quicky project)

Electrical tape is only an insulator, doesn't 'contain' any electrical or RF radiation. It would be about like the fiberglass of that antenna, just contributes to mechanical things, has no affect on, is invisible to RF. You could tape up a typical antenna and see no change in how it would behave.
The problem with using electrical tape (or any other kind) is that it just doesn't last very long exposed to weather. The 'plastic' the tape is made from will react with ultraviolet and other emissions from the sun, either get stiff or saggy. The 'goo' that holds it to whatever is a far cry from 'permanent', and will fail. I don't think tape would be your best choice. But, it certainly will 'work' for some unknown length of time. If that's long enough, then that's certainly good enough.
- 'Doc

Reactions: old bear
Electrical tape is only an insulator, doesn't 'contain' any electrical or RF radiation. It would be about like the fiberglass of that antenna, just contributes to mechanical things, has no affect on, is invisible to RF. You could tape up a typical antenna and see no change in how it would behave.
The problem with using electrical tape (or any other kind) is that it just doesn't last very long exposed to weather. The 'plastic' the tape is made from will react with ultraviolet and other emissions from the sun, either get stiff or saggy. The 'goo' that holds it to whatever is a far cry from 'permanent', and will fail. I don't think tape would be your best choice. But, it certainly will 'work' for some unknown length of time. If that's long enough, then that's certainly good enough.
- 'Doc
Thanks Doc , I don't know why I find this slightly interesting to me. Yes the electrical tape is a insulator and would certainly keep things from shorting out if need be but at the same time rf signals can still go through it with ease and not hinder a antenna's performance.

guess that's why radiation is such a power situation to begin with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.