• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

any no this amp body?

i can get 3 boxes of 70,s radios stuff tomorrow for 150 bucks,it includes a few radios..1 a midland 835b,and few different meters,,1 meter has 2-3 inch windows for watts and swr,s from realistic.is older better like id like to think with this meter?
theres a amp in there in fairly good shape that works and its a abc electronics 250 plus..he said all the tubes lite up and is a 7 out of 10 scale cond.
a older man passed away and his brother is telling me all this stuff has been stored in a cb room for yrs and in pretty good shape..
not sure how big the boxes are but he said there was a lot of stuff in there from when his brother talked 11 meter in the 70,s and 80,s.

i looked up the amp and wouldnt think i could go wrong starting my small old school collection lol..
it has 1-6kv6 tube
1-6bq6 tube
and 3-6jg6 tubes.. or i can buyn this amp for 50 bucks he said..i think i may go look at the stuff in the am..

the guy with the amp about the thread i posted said it has 6je6c tubes and 6lq6 tubes in it..said he was going into it with 100 watts to get close to 1kw of power out..
just from what ive read here learned me to think this is not possible.

correct?

the guy with the amp about the thread i posted said it has 6je6c tubes and 6lq6 tubes in it..said he was going into it with 100 watts to get close to 1kw of power out..
just from what ive read here learned me to think this is not possible.

correct?

You are learning, young Padowan. No way in hell would that thing take 100w input. Try it and watch things go 'boom'

From looking at the photos I'd guess that the output would be closer to the 350 -500 w range, if the tubes are strong and it was well built.

Homebrew stuff is always a crapshoot. Was the builder competent or some hack with a soldering iron? It's not always easy to tell.

Reactions: 1 person
same reason anyone "wants one lol" so i can possibly talk to the ones i hear 3000 miles away when times are right..
But they are illegal. I am not going to tell you what to do but you would be way better off spending the money you have for the amp on a better antenna and mounting. I ran 11 meters for 20 years and only owned one amp, a 75 watt Sonar Br-21, and that was at the end of my 11 useage. I have been a ham since '90 and have never owned or needed an amp. The antenna is everything!!

Reactions: 2 people
im trying to tell the guy in the nicest way that the amp has less tubes than the 250 im gonna go get tomorrow for 50 bucks..he still insist i can come test it no problem but im gonna stay away lol..

when i become a ham maybe i can afford the good radio to not need a amp.
theres actually a ton of good ham radios in my area for sale at great prices and i could go get one now,but not my thing at the moment.
can i get a ham radio and listen in and not talk and be legal till i get a ham ticket?

theres nothing wrong with my avanti astro plane antenna once again imo until i want to move up,or down in the radio world..there proven for many yrs and some folks have said they wish they still had theres,so they must be ok antennas.i like old original things the way they are and respect them,,im talking on here arent i lol..and i have much respect.

amps may be illegal but there like numbchucks,knives longer than legal and many other things,and anyone who wants them can go buy them ,then there illegal,and most always never enforced by the law.not in fla cracker land anyhow all my 47 yrs..

amps should be legal imo..they been around longer than prob most fellas on this forum..and they argue on them everyday since the 70,s or before and it hasnt stopped them yet..ive been in scale houses all thru texas and up to michigan and been searched a many times and only a couple times have they said,you no them amplifiers are illegal! i just say they shouldnt sell them then,and have never got in any trouble knock on wood..useually was always a 2-500 watt amp also..im honest and obey the law,except for the fact amps are illegal..whoohooo:pop:

oh crap,,is this like a open container law?OMG,,when my legal permited cannon is in my pocket and always is,and i am in possesion of the amp also will i go down much harder because of the combo of them both?
kinda like having my gun and some perscription medicine? thats a big no no and i no that law..maybe they will just tell me if i shoot the amp they will let me slide lol..

im not trying to cause trouble really guys..just trying to get back into radios,all because i finally got dads ole tram i have memories of..i should just go get the nitro 300 from him but im not,im gonna go tomorrow and get a couple different ones to play with.and hopefully the varmit xl450 and hopefully its putting out the 95 percent is was checked out at..

and hopefully some of these great knowledgable guys on here will continue to help me with adjustments and all..

so why do so many hams get amps them?? they sure buy them up fast when there available,like the ameritron 1kw i can go get also..but i dont really need all that..but to me its sure a cool amp with lots of talk power..heck i could maybe join the superbowl lol.

just wanna have a lil fun..maybe when im tired of it all i will get a ham radio and antenna set up and change it up a bit..but then i wont be able to hear the restaurant menu up in maine to know what there eating for lunch right:headbang

amps are illegal ,but i can legally carry this that holds 22 mini slugs in my car,fully loaded,with my 30 rnd pistol on my side and a few extra mags..and hopefully that law never changes. whats that say about the people in charge of this world they would ban a poor lil amp.
what a great world we live in (y)

Attachments

• ksg 012.JPG
    ksg 012.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 7
amps are illegal ,but i can legally carry this that holds 22 mini slugs in my car,fully loaded,with my 30 rnd pistol on my side and a few extra mags..and hopefully that law never changes. whats that say about the people in charge of this world they would ban a poor lil amp.
what a great world we live in (y)

But you have no constitutional right to bear an amplifier. :D

The Astroplane is a darn good antenna and mounted high enough will perform well. I jwas just pointing out that 99% of the time when band conditions are good an amp is not needed.

w9cll i learned a lil about ham radios today lol..i met a guy today and got the 3 boxes of about 16-17 nice old cb radio stuff,,more than i wanted but all was in great shape so i guess now im a minor collector lol..
while talking i asked about ham radio that he was into..
he told me how he had a yaegi"spelled wrong pob" 3 beam element and a kenwood radio with only 100 watts and talked to new zealand ,europe and brazil and 2=3 other countrys every morning and he led me to understand a lot more about the ham..etc etc.
so im gonna be hooked soon im sure since there everywhere for sale in my area .
is this gonna make me a cb/ham geek lol..had a great time talking with him for sure,and a good deal i think..
so will just put the pics in here and start a new thread on the amp so you guys can help me adjust it and pray;)
heres what i got today'

siltronix model 90 vfo
it goes with this 90 percent cond midland 13-898b w/alarm clock lsb/usb and will just put it on a shelf i dont have yet lol.radio in exc cond.

abc electronics 250 plus amp
radio shack micronta big power meter/swr 10/100/100 no scratches on the meter faces at all.

rs=trc502 40 ch digital cb with mic,looks new
rs digital swr power meter with seperate box to mount remotly for coax,looks new.

true tone 40 ch cb looks fair,on the shelf i guess lol

cpi "communications power inc"range plus receive box great shape with range from -25 db to plus 13db
and another cpi receive box with just a switch and gain control knob.
both made in usa.

audiovox ps4 4 amp power supply..
i listen to my pres grant on a 2 amp supply but dont talk,,the 4 amp has to be a lil better but not sure if i can talk with 4 amps??

uniden solara marine radio looks kinda new in the bag.mic cord has discolor tho from storage i guess.

johnson massenger 2 cb radio looks ok for age but have no clue about it except it is kinda heavy lol.with mic.

set of digital audiovox re chargable walkie talkies,good for the woods.

pride,tf-1000 time/frequency counter..hope this works!

a old practice clicker for morse code,,the guy said it was for prcticing,,looks like a regular old clicker dad had to me just no wires on it.

astatic d104 lollipop mic..it has a spot for a 9 volt battery in botton and a switch..i ASSUME this is for a power modulater?
and maybe the switch is so i can use it w/out the battery? no clue but i could use it but not with the power modulation if it cant be turned off?

and a box of cordless home phones that need batterys..i may keep them since there 900mhz as they seemd to work better than todays 2-3 ghz phones i keep buying for some reason..

all that was 150 bucks..he said the amp turned on and all tubes worked so this is my first project tonight ,maybe? the tubes look to push in from the side,not sure if thats good or not id think straight up woulda been better .
this darn abc 250 amp is def very heavy for a 250.

then my buddy had some of his garbage lol,at my door steps when i got home with the other junk.
he brought me a cobra2000 gtl thats dirty but could clean up to be fair or lil better..i plugged it in and didnt turn on.all the switches seem to work good so i guess i will have parts or fix it maybe?
the antenna jack has been arched and another spot on back looks like it was electriclly arched..prob junk now?

a messenger m500 amp with ssb lo/med/hi and pre amp,,he said it worked but thinks it popped a pill is why he got it a while back from his buddy lol
prob hooked it to the cobra 2000gtl and screwed them both up lol.

and a old panasonic"looks like 70,s 40 ch cb..no use for it either but on a shelf lol.
my wifes gonna freak when she sees all this junk,,as my mancave is full of ther junk lol..
heres the pics of what i got. sorry such a long post.

Attachments

• radio stuff 001.JPG
    radio stuff 001.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 6
  • radio stuff 002.JPG
    radio stuff 002.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 7
  • radio stuff 005.JPG
    radio stuff 005.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 6
  • radio stuff 007.JPG
    radio stuff 007.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 6
  • radio stuff 009.JPG
    radio stuff 009.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 6
  • radio stuff 012.JPG
    radio stuff 012.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 6
  • radio stuff 013.JPG
    radio stuff 013.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 6
  • radio stuff 016.JPG
    radio stuff 016.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 6
w9cll i learned a lil about ham radios today lol..i met a guy today and got the 3 boxes of about 16-17 nice old cb radio stuff,,more than i wanted but all was in great shape so i guess now im a minor collector lol..
while talking i asked about ham radio that he was into..
he told me how he had a yaegi"spelled wrong pob" 3 beam element and a kenwood radio with only 100 watts and talked to new zealand ,europe and brazil and 2=3 other countrys every morning and he led me to understand a lot more about the ham..etc etc.
so im gonna be hooked soon im sure since there everywhere for sale in my area .
is this gonna make me a cb/ham geek lol..had a great time talking with him for sure,and a good deal i think..
so will just put the pics in here and start a new thread on the amp so you guys can help me adjust it and pray;)
Great that you got to talk to a ham. All I was trying to point out is 99% of the time you don't need an amp. Most people when they get into CB feel they need an amp because this is what they hear on the air or read online, I know this because I was there years ago. The one important thing I learned when I became a ham was it had very little to do with power and everything to do with the antenna.

Very nice haul there!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.