• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any suggestions for a small Amp for Magnum S-9

insidepal225007.jpg

doing my best freecell impersonation ........

if youre familiar with whats inside a amp , what you dont recognize will be the 5 pole filter . hahahaha . sorry jack .... couldnt resist ;)

i dont know what all the components are in a amp . but i think its the coil in the bottom right corner .
heres a link explaining low pass filters .
Special Publications | Technical Publication #42

doing my best freecell impersonation ........

if youre familiar with whats inside a amp , what you dont recognize will be the 5 pole filter . hahahaha . sorry jack .... couldnt resist ;)

i dont know what all the components are in a amp . but i think its the coil in the bottom right corner .
heres a link explaining low pass filters .
Special Publications | Technical Publication #42
Reading the info in the link you posted says that for the low pass filter to work properly it should be as close to ground (earth) as possible and in the case of the filtering in the amp this is not accomplished and what I see in the amp anyway is an LC network for tuning purposes and does not filter anything beyond it's rated frequencies.

to increase your signal on someone else's receive meter by 1 S unit; you will have to increase your output by 4x.
I've read that the "S Unit" is most generally 3db, but can be 6db on some radios. And that the doubling of power is equal to 3db which is audibly detectable to the human ear.

Remember, AB1 describes the bias of the transistors, not the output filtering of the amp.
I don't think AB1 biasing has anything to do with a transistor does it? A tube can be AB1 or AB2 but a transistor can only be AB AFAIK.

so a Texas star 350V would work great behind a S9 ?
Yes it will work fine.. Turn the dead key down to less than 3 watts and turn the variable wide open on the Texas Star and it will work fine..

That comes from YEARS worth of real world testing, not some BS info from an opinion..

amp for S-9

If you run a magnum S-9 into a 2 pill amp for a while you will fry the amp. The minimum is a 4 pill and the dx500 has to be the amp of choice. Many radios of the S-9 type produce a short duration spike of full power at key down. You will not see it on swr meter as too quick but it is visible on a scope. Turning the radio down doesn't seem to help.
Magnum them selves put something out when the radios first came out saying that a 4 pill amp was the minimum to to run with the S-9.
If you use the dial watt feature for long the potentiometer soon burns out and gets erratic. Best try to control the power from the radio and don't buy the dial a watt version.

rgds,
Dave

Why don't you tell us what your maximum swing is with the top gun off, and the dk at 2 watts. I run an s9 into a class c 1x4 with great results. My s9 at 1 watt dk only swings to around 10 though. All I'm saying is not all radios are cranked wide open. Heck my Galaxy 99v only swings to 8 watts at a dk of a watt. I get a nice 200 birds out my little 2 pill with the 99v.

couldnt have said it any better than loosecannon did .
a TNT 600 or 1500 could be something you may want to consider . but please dont put a class C box behind a S-9 .

I think the TNT amp with 4 x 2290s would be best. Where did you get the picture of my Senior Prom date's mother?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.