• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Attic Dipole

CCB0703

Jan 24, 2015
Just wondering if anyone has had good results with a dipole in the attic. I have an omnidirectional Penatrator on a pole out in the back yard but was thinking about experimenting with a horizontal in the attic for a little DX. Any thoughts?

It probably won't be all that directional since it is in an attic near lots of stuff and not that far off the ground. When I was first married 25 years ago I had a couple dipoles for 15m and 20m and a three element wire beam for 10m in the attic of the apartment we rented. It was the top half of an old huge Victorian era house and had lots of room. The attic antennas worked well but there is no real substitute for outdoof antennas. Since you already have one outdoor antenna why not put the dipole outdoors? It will work MUCH better there.

Reactions: tuner
I think I may try it. My attic doesn't have any thing init. It is actually just a walking space above the second story. No duct work or wiring. Thinking maybe hanging a foot below the peak. Got the stuff so no real money.

It won't be a problem to the extent it won't work but you may get some interference caused by the wiring picking up the RF and that supposed direction pattern may end up being pretty much nonexistent . An indoor antenna is a compromise at best and will never perform as good as the same antenna would if it was outdoors.

I've got my dipole waiting to go up. In the garage, I can pull in stations but I haven't keyed. It's 8 ft from the garage floor with far too many wires and metal objects nearby.

It would be worth a try. It's cheap and easy.

Update: I just checked swr and it's 2:1. As I said, I have quite a bit of metal nearby. You should have better luck.
Around 12 feet in the air, I have 1.5:1 on 27.385.

I understand that you want the dipole in the attic, I've heard of guys just laying them on the shingles. Also, I have an i max 2000 on a 27 foot telescoped mast. It is guyed at about 25 feet with Dacron rope. I have my dipole in a inverted v with a pulley and rope to raise it up and down if needed. My dipole is at about 24 feet to the apex. it blends well with the black Dacron and works great from 80 meters right up to 10 meters. Just another Idea for ya :) Also just a short while ago there were pics of some attic dipoles on the home page as well, although you may have already seen them.

My dipole is at about 24 feet to the apex. it blends well with the black Dacron and works great from 80 meters right up to 10 meters.

How long is the dipole from end to end? If it is not very long I guarantee you only think it works great on 80m. :) The OP is talking about just a dipole for CB.

I have a doublet installed which a lot of people call a dipole but since it is non-resonant and fed with ladder line it is called a doublet. It is about 120 feet end to end and is in an inverted V fashion with the apex at 65 feet. It does work fairly well even on 80m but I can't wait to get my yagis up in the summer.

I have a full wave loop in the attic. It is roughly 12' x 6' with one of the long sides near the apex of the attic along the ridge line and hanging at a diagonal angle following the 6/12 pitch or the roof. It is fed on one of the bottom corners. It does surprisingly well although not as well as te outdoor loops I've had. It does better than the doublet that is four feet above the ridge line outside (probably because I did a lousy job with the doublet??). I rarely use it as it is there only should bad weather take out my other outdoor antennas. There is a lot of materials in my attic - attic fan, ducting, wiring, stored things, etc. I have made both local and DX contacts with it.
it was a fun project and is an out of sight out of mind project I just don't often think about although it is connected to my antenna switch.

Have fun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.