• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base amps.

The cost effective solution for a couple hundred watts in the base that are biased, free of self oscillations and much cleaner that any solid state option really hasn't changed much in 40 years. I hate to say it but sweep tubes amps are still the way to go in this power range. Get on eBay and look for something with 2 to 4 sweep tubes. Pick a unit that uses tubes with a 12 pin base so you can still buy inexpensive substitutes like the 6LB6.

I don't mean to outright contradict another forum member but the very last option would be using a bunch of power supply MOSFETs in a base amplifier situation. That's about 10 times worse than using the Toshibas on an unregulated power supply since the transistors themselves contribute significantly to the amplifiers instability.

There is only one application in the world that even considers transistors like the ERF line for RF linear applications and that's CB. The manufacturer of these transistors has never been able to convince a single radio manufacturer outside of this market that the part was anything more than a switching transistor.

Confess what the off the shelf manufacturer part number was before you got them to restamp yours on it. That will be impossible because it's the only area they can make the profit in. Disguising the original 99 cent power supply transistor number and suggesting the same package is good to 70 watts at 30 MHz. To the one market that could ever be tricked into it.

If they were even close to a viable option the ERF line would have worked its way into every manufacturers least expensive 12 volt HF rigs. They could save between $50 and $100 in the final stage just in parts. Every one of the major equipment manufacturers struggles to keep the costs of their entry level rigs low in this competitive market. Let me know when ERF earns the trust of just one or even the chance to be considered.

Reactions: 3 people
I know several guys that run the XForce base amps, and they always have them in for repair. I see them at my local tech's shop, and he tells me the rectifiers always blow, and it's a bad design. (See previous statement by AudioShockwav).

If I had it to do all over again, I'd save my money from the DX500 Texas Star amp and Iota power supplies I bought, and put it towards an Ameritron 811H. Just recently bought an AL-80B, but that's for Ham use when I get General.

Brett

I know several guys that run the XForce base amps, and they always have them in for repair. I see them at my local tech's shop, and he tells me the rectifiers always blow, and it's a bad design. (See previous statement by AudioShockwav).

If I had it to do all over again, I'd save my money from the DX500 Texas Star amp and Iota power supplies I bought, and put it towards an Ameritron 811H. Just recently bought an AL-80B, but that's for Ham use when I get General.

Brett

thats all good. but imho i feel a texas star 500 with a well designed power supply
like astron is a very good setup and for most will be all the power they need.
yes a ameritron amp is VERY nice but i feel its alot more money and the price
difference doesnt justify it, not for 11 meters anyways. jmo

What is a TS 500 and an Astron power supply to run it going to cost you? An AL811 is $750 for 600 CLEAN watts and a decent warranty to boot. It is also useable if and when the operator gets a ham ticket.

Reactions: 3 people
What is a TS 500 and an Astron power supply to run it going to cost you? An AL811 is $750 for 600 CLEAN watts and a decent warranty to boot. It is also useable if and when the operator gets a ham ticket.

Yessir, that was my point. Only you explained it better. :laugh:

Brett

I can tell you what I bought... TS DX500 for about 310 bucks, and two Iota DLS 55 power supplies (ran them together to get the draw needed for full output) for 170 each. So, that's $650 bucks, not counting shipping. Yes, they all worked great together for 11 meters, and I saw 500 watts out and received good reports on my audio both on AM and SSB. Of course if you step down and get a smaller DX350, you can knock 70 bucks off the price.

But for 100 bucks more, could have had the Ameritron. Shipping is free from Ham Radio Outlet. As I mentioned before, if I had it to do all over again...

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
i agree with ya. but not everyone is going to ham or have interest in that.
and if ya dont have your ticket i doubt they,ll sell ya amp too.

HRO could care less if you have a ham ticket and will sell you a transceiver or an amp if you have the money as is the case with pretty much all dealers.In fact a question on QRZ.com came up about that very subject and I contacted a manager in one of the HRO stores and he stated that it is not their business to be the FCC and that they have no problem selling anything to anybody as long as the money is there.

HRO could care less if you have a ham ticket and will sell you a transceiver or an amp if you have the money as is the case with pretty much all dealers.In fact a question on QRZ.com came up about that very subject and I contacted a manager in one of the HRO stores and he stated that it is not their business to be the FCC and that they have no problem selling anything to anybody as long as the money is there.

I bought amateur equipment way before I had my ticket. And you're right, nobody asked. I think one place lets you put your call in a slot when you order, but it's optional. After all, what if Grandma wants to buy Grandson (who just got his ticket) a new transceiver, amp, or whatever... it wouldn't be right to not sell it to her. And I agree, it's not the retailer's job to keep up with what people do with the equipment.

Brett

I bought amateur equipment way before I had my ticket. And you're right, nobody asked. I think one place lets you put your call in a slot when you order, but it's optional. After all, what if Grandma wants to buy Grandson (who just got his ticket) a new transceiver, amp, or whatever... it wouldn't be right to not sell it to her. And I agree, it's not the retailer's job to keep up with what people do with the equipment.

Brett

Exactly. The issue on QRZ.com was from a ham that was bitching at HRO in Portland Oregon for asking for his call sign when he wanted to purchase a mobile antenna. He bitched and said he didn't want to give out that info and went berserk with wild ideas about how HRO would not sell him anything with proof of license etc.He left out a couple details like trying to use a credit card at the time. I emailed the HRO manager at that location. The following is the exchange with certain personal information EDITED out.

-----Original Message----- From: Garth (EDIT) Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:51 AM To: portland@hamradio.com Subject: Store sales policy Hello. I am inquiring about your store's policy of selling amateur radio equipment to persons that do not have a valid amateur radio license. I fully support the policy of not selling things like HF or VHF transceivers to unlicensed persons however an acquaintance of mine claims he attempted to purchase a Larsen 2/70 dual band antenna from your Portland store and the sales person would not sell him ANYTHING without first being provided with a valid amateur radio license.He claims that not one but TWO sales persons told him this. I find this to be strange as it precludes the possibility of someone from even purchasing a scanner, antenna, books, accessories, or anything else unless they have a license. This also precludes the possibility of a spouse making a purchase on their behalf as a gift etc.Since I know that the store in Salem New Hampshire does not have this policy I am unclear as to if it is a misunderstanding or not. Since I have a few friends in the Portland area that are planning to visit me later this fall I would like to know for sure what the store policy is as I may have them pick up a couple items for me and neither of them are licensed amateurs. Thank you for your time. Garth (EDIT) (EDIT), Nova Scotia Canada

And the reply:

Good morning Garth, I have worked at the Portland store for going on fourteen years and have never had an employee refuse to sell equipment because of a non license issue, perhaps if you could provide me with a name of the person that was wanting to purchase and the sales person that refused I could make sure this type of behavior doesn't happen again. Selling equipment to non licensed persons isn't a policy at all, we will sell to anyone with an interest in walking through the door. I / we are not the FCC police it is not our place to tell anyone how or where to use the equipment they bye!! By all means have your friends come in and talk with me I will be more than happy to sell them whatever you need! Feel free to call me at anytime!! Thank you!

Leon S. Hummel W7AD Manager Ham Radio Outlet Portland 11705 SW Pacific HWY Suite Z Tigard Oregon 97080 Portland@Hamradio.com (503) 598-0555 (800)-756-4267 Fax (503)684-0469

And a follow up later that day:

Garth, As a follow up I talked with a couple of my sales associates, one of them did remember a customer coming in yesterday to purchase a Larsen antenna and was going to use a credit card, when asked about for a call sign he was told he didn't have to give one that he has done this before and when told we need some information with the use of a credit card the customer replied forget it commented he's going to contact our corporate office and walked out! If this is the case then yes we at least need a name, address, and phone number for the name that is on the credit card for protection from C/C fraud.

Has anyone evaluated or have any feed back or information other wise on the new xforce tube amps, that have recently been added to the line up at xforce amps?

Base Station Units

I see standard cookie cutter construction used in all of them regardless of the tubes used. I doubt X-Force has anything to do with them since they have never demonstrated any ability in the past to build a tube amp and the construction looks exactly like Wizards work in X-Force clothes. They all have the same basic lack of features whether you're buying the GI6B of the 3CX10,000. Only the biggest models have a plate current meter. None have a grid current meter and most only have a high voltage meter.

For 6 or 7 thousand dollars I want to see more than a fuse and a resistor protecting my $2000 3 X 10 tube. Splurge a little and drop $20 on the Ameritron after market grid protection board. Impress me and drop $150 on "The Triode Board" making the amp almost bullet proof. Use the warm-up timer on externally heated cathodes because the average person doesn't comprehend tubes like the GS-35B take 3 minuets to warm up.

You don't use a PI input circuit to drive a pair of GS-35B tubes at 25 ohms because the tube side of the circuit needs no extra loading by C2. You think they would figure this out every time they install C2 only to find it tunes completely open or unmeshed. The last GS-35B amp I seen that looked identical to these had no HV plate blocking choke and had the tube biased up in nearly class A operation because the bias voltage was too low.

Since these are mono band amps it would be real easy for the builder to add a second inductor after the tank to form a PI-L output network with vastly improved harmonic rejection while simultaneously lowering the value of loading capacitor required. There are obviously many areas that could be improved upon however, they still run much cleaner than any transistor amps sold on the site.

Garth, As a follow up I talked with a couple of my sales associates, one of them did remember a customer coming in yesterday to purchase a Larsen antenna and was going to use a credit card, when asked about for a call sign he was told he didn't have to give one that he has done this before and when told we need some information with the use of a credit card the customer replied forget it commented he's going to contact our corporate office and walked out! If this is the case then yes we at least need a name, address, and phone number for the name that is on the credit card for protection from C/C fraud.

I see 2 problems here.

Both Visa and Master Card prohibit a vendor from requiring a phone number, address, or other personal information as a condition of sale, it is a condition that the vendor agrees to if they want to accept the card. If they follow the correct procedure including checking signatures and they get an authorization, both MC and Visa guarantee payment so there is no legitimate need to require it. It's also illegal to try to do it in about 10 states although I don't think Oregon is one of them (nor is NH).

The 2nd is that while they'll sell most stuff without requiring proof of license it is HRO's quoted policy to only sell 12/10m capable amps or upgrade kits to enable 12/10m after verifying you do have a valid license. So, it sounds to me that this manager needs a refresher on what things are allowed and what things may be required.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.