• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

base anntena

dave69

Sep 19, 2009
aphla v58 (used to be wilson now under the maco name) vs imax 2000 whats better? personaly i think v58 is best,anyone know anything different?

maco
new penatrator 500
then theres sirio which i have .2 above are probaly slightly better
I10k very well built with a high price tag
i wouldnt even consider those splatter sticks anymore

Reactions: 1 person
For me is Only the Interceptor I-10K
Works Excellent..and the Strongest antenna likely built
( it re wrote the book on antenna survival )

You can keep the Imax 2000 (still have one stored away somewhere)

if i had to chose among the 2 you requested.. Would be the V58

I've helped a couple friends who went the other way and replaced their V58 with an Imax and got about an S-unit better performance from the Imax but also got more noise. One of the V58s was only a month old. Just do the new Penetrator 500 and be done with it for the next 30 years.

Reactions: 2 people
i have the imax 2000 and the maco V5000 both at 42' currently and find no knock your socks off difference between TX & RX maybe just a slight edge on the RX to the V5000 maco. but of the two i like the Imax better because it's much more wide banded then the maco. on my Imax swr's stay below 1.5 from 26.7950 thru 28.5250. maco v5000 has no where near the band width swr's are pretty good thru the regular 40 up to about 27.5100.

i have the imax 2000 and the maco V5000 both at 42' currently and find no knock your socks off difference between TX & RX maybe just a slight edge on the RX to the V5000 maco. but of the two i like the Imax better because it's much more wide banded then the maco. on my Imax swr's stay below 1.5 from 26.7950 thru 28.5250. maco v5000 has no where near the band width swr's are pretty good thru the regular 40 up to about 27.5100.

My Imax was even wider, like 1.5:1 at 24Mhz-29.5Mhz but not until after I put 3/4 wave radials on it made with guy wire and insulators.

I've helped a couple friends who went the other way and replaced their V58 with an Imax and got about an S-unit better performance from the Imax but also got more noise. One of the V58s was only a month old. Just do the new Penetrator 500 and be done with it for the next 30 years.

thats what ive seen also between my retired imax and my sirio.

The Imax 2000 is basically a hollow fiberglass tube with braided copper wire running through the center. Some sort of matching coil at the bottom. they work ok.

shoot, iv had an imaz 2000 for the past 5 years and iv never had a problem with it. my SWR's have always stayed around or below 1.5.1. way better than that A99 i had. although it worked good for me considering ima poor redneck, i still consider the imax to be better on my end. id like to get my hands on a set of maco 4 element beams. but i doubt i ever will considering the fact that they discontinued them. what puzzles me is why would they discontinue an antenna that everyone says works so well? owell. their loss i guess

Southerntrucker, the Imax is a good antenna, like a Chevy Impaler is a good car.
But it's not a Cadillac.:blush:
Any 4 element Yagi should work well and if it's made well it should last the years.
Why not try a Sirio 4 element?

I probally would if I lived out in the country somewhere. But unfourntly I live in town and where I'm located at I wouldn't have any room for a set of beams. :( that's why I gotta stick with a ground plane for now. Which really sucks.

I probally would if I lived out in the country somewhere. But unfourntly I live in town and where I'm located at I wouldn't have any room for a set of beams. :( that's why I gotta stick with a ground plane for now. Which really sucks.

You could consider getting a Penetrator and adding a gamma match to one of the radials then put it on a light duty TV rotator.
I helped a friend do that to his. We removed the opposite radial, then carefully bent the other 2 back 30 degrees and up close to the radial hub using sand and a pipe bender.
That made it into a 3 x 120 degree radials 5/8 with a gamma driven single horizontal element.
It might not hammer like a 4 element but at least he has a horizontal dipole up nice and high and uses it all the time.
He has it on a series of coax switches which let him select vertical, horizontal, or both with a flat swr because he switches in a pair of 7' 75ohm 1/4 wave coax transformers when he wants both polarizations running together for DX.
That requires four 2-position coax switches and a SO-239 T connector, or, two 2-position switches, a T connector and a 3-position switch.

iv herd of them antennas but iv never seen one. online or in person. and if i remember right. i dont think anybody that talkes on our local channel down here run one either. but i do kno that one of the locals run a se of moonraker 4's. (i think thats how you spell it) and they are nice and talk and receive amazingly! i asked him where i could find a set back when i lived in a place that i had room to have a set, and he said they where discontinued. :'( i was pretty sad when he told me that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.