• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best audio amp ssb

Pretty much anything class ab and not over driven. An amp does not determine audio quality however the design and operation of it does determine distortion and splatter.

Just remember you put CRAP in your going to get CRAP out and it doesnt matter how good of a amp it is...find a good Messenger if you can.. stay away from the Palomar elite models.. But if you can find a older palomar it will state class a/b on it That would be a good one.. And I guess most Texas Stars are ok.. again keep it CLEAN... Ticks people off when you are cranked 150% modulation D104 full bore on SSB splattering 20kc's either way

since you asked this in the cb section ....... a AB biased and filtered messenger , cobra and a select few palomars are the cleanest cb amps IMO .
10-4 on the dirty in dirty out .

What?

No one likes a 100lb+, 220VAC, 1,500+ watts, $1000+ used, idle all day long running @600+ watts, fire-breathing Henry amp?!?

OK; a Texas Star 350HD set up and ran properly will also do nicely.

And yes, I think Henry's are the best amp out there - hands down.
A local Ham I know has and uses one.

Last edited:
i guess we all have to decide what best is . to me a part of being best is being cost effective . real ham amps are certainly better and can do thousands and thousand of clean watts . on CB it seems to be like using Dom Pérignon to wash down a big mac . but im a cheap bass turd :love:

if you can find a skipper300 in nice shape with the four 8950 or 6kd6 tubes its is a good clean sounding amp on ssb if you tune it with audio and you can get about 500wpep

Im sure there are better but I get some good reports when running my heathkit sb200. I know its class b. I just run it at 500 pep driving it with a texas star 350 set at 100 watts pep behind a grant xl and sadelta echo master plus . More than enough to make it across the big pond right now for sure.

Im sure there are better but I get some good reports when running my heathkit sb200. I know its class b. I just run it at 500 pep driving it with a texas star 350 set at 100 watts pep behind a grant xl and sadelta echo master plus . More than enough to make it across the big pond right now for sure.

The SB200 is a nice table top mid level performing amp.

On the bench it takes mine 85 watts of drive to reach full output.

I usually turn my rig down to 50watts PEP when I use the amp, I get 400 + PEP watts output on 10 meters, as I go down the bands of course the output is more.

It still has the Centron tubes in it, full output, if this amp does not get over driven and is maintained it will last a long time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.