• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best audio amp ssb

what would be the difference between a ham or cb amp ?

About 3 - 400 dollars, and about a 1000% reduction in the chances of the FCC caving your door in and waltzing off with your gear, not to mention the inevitable fine that will follow in court, take it from someone who's been there;)

cb amps for the most part are shite, dirty, sound rough as fuck and pollute half the spectrum, but if you can live with that batter in, if not, invest your money in a good quality ham amp that will last years, will be far less likely to drag your ass into court and although initially more expensive, may save you a fortune in the long run.

I listen to those guys running those palomar etc mobile amps as base amps....I can always tell when they have them set on full output.....no headroom...all mugged up....I tell them to turn it down to half power and it clears their audio right up. :)

whats known as one of the best amps for audio quality ssb ?

This is pretty much a wide open question with several answers depending on what you want to spend.

Answer A: The quality of the tune on your radio has the biggest effect. If your radio was hacked and clipped it will sound crappy no matter what amp you run.

Answer B: For cb use when you combine a properly tuned radio with a class AB amplifier and don't overdrive it you will sound great.

Answer C: If money is no concern then get a big ham tube amp thats built to actual standards, some rack gear, and a nice heil desk mic. You will then sound like an FM broadcasting station.

I run a FL2100b and it seems to only be doing 300 watts on sideband. When I tune it, the watts are around 500 or more. I use a Dosy meter, kinda hoping the meter is not reading PEP accurately.

or a alpha 77sx if you can find one. they do about 5kw but youl have to get a i10k antenna to handle the power

251588.jpg

I run a FL2100b and it seems to only be doing 300 watts on sideband. When I tune it, the watts are around 500 or more. I use a Dosy meter, kinda hoping the meter is not reading PEP accurately.

Not being a true pep meter could be your problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.