• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best base antenna coax

Ok, I thought mixing was not good, also some say that you only need enough to hook one piece of another aka radio to amp to tuner to meter to antenna? Some say 3' some 6' some 9' in increments of 3'? What's real vs myth.

If you do the math theirs no general solution each band is its own legnth, now what's proper legnth when comes to multiple bands 17/15/12/10 or 75/80 or 40/30/20? Or any combo their of or Broad band solution 12-10m or 17-15m ect ect for jumpers to keep total legnth at propert freq measurements?

Take CB well use 27Mhz comes to 9.1111112' for quarter wave using 492/freq now using height @52' for wave length using 468/27( 17.3333333 ) or is it 492/f which then would be 18.2222222

Last edited:
Ok, I thought mixing was not good, also some say that you only need enough to hook one piece of another aka radio to amp to tuner to meter to antenna? Some say 3' some 6' some 9' in increments of 3'? What's real vs myth.

If you do the math theirs no general solution each band is its own legnth, now what's proper legnth when comes to multiple bands 17/15/12/10 or 75/80 or 40/30/20? Or any combo their of or Broad band solution 12-10m or 17-15m ect ect for jumpers to keep total legnth at propert freq measurements?

Take CB well use 27Mhz comes to 9.1111112' for quarter wave using 492/freq now using height @52' for wave length using 468/27( 17.3333333 ) or is it 492/f which then would be 18.2222222

For connecting a radio to a single antenna the proper length is whatever you need to reach. Certain issues can be hidden with certain lengths of coax and length does matter if if you're trying to set up phased antennas.

If you are seeing more than a minor SWR change with different coax lengths you have some other issues to work out. The subject of coax length in CB radio is full of myths and truth.

Actually run lmr400 and main is rg8x...

Back in 70's use to run radio shack top of line RG8/U never had swr probs was just wondering. Now I use 9' jumpers think maybe too long should have done 3' but that's here or there now... Thought of cutting in half and making 4.5' jumpers but unsure if that's a good idea or not.

see post 33 linky

Sorry, I didn't know I needed to elaborate. There's always a a situation that something other than 50 ohm coax works better but that's a different topic. We're talking about CB radios with a 50 ohm output and CB antennas with a matching device that is intended to present a 50 ohm load. Under these circumstances you need to be using 50 ohm coax and may use any 50 ohm coax for jumpers. Be sure to refer to the coax specs and consider the loss and power rating of the cable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.