• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

budget antenna suggestions

HeloThunder

Nov 15, 2010
With my custom 89xlr on its way in a few days, and with the little one down for a nap. I'm now trying to figure out what antenna is right for me. I haven't asked my landlord if it is okay, but i am almost positive he wont care, as long as it does not look too much like an eyesore.

I'm trying to stay under the $40 range. We have a nice size tree in our backyard and was thinking of a dipole, but i do not have any experience with them. If i do choose dipole, would i be able to rig it up in the tree with no problems? I'm just worried that a dipole could get all tangled up if we get some strong winds. I've seen those "mini" base antennas online, but i do not want to loose out on performance just because i wanted to save $20.

Any ideas or suggestions? ..

well under 40.00 your not gonna get much of anything for a
antenna goto palco.com check these out
workman v58
imax2000
i feel these are the best dollar for dollar.now there are
better antennas out but there in the 200-300 price range
and in theory shouldnt peerform much better than 2 i listed
the 2 i listed range from 60-about90.00 dollars. and will be money
very well spent

well under 40.00 your not gonna get much of anything for a
antenna goto palco.com check these out
workman v58
imax2000
i feel these are the best dollar for dollar.now there are
better antennas out but there in the 200-300 price range
and in theory shouldnt peerform much better than 2 i listed
the 2 i listed range from 60-about90.00 dollars. and will be money
very well spent

I'll ditto that . . .

Have about $10? you can make a 1/2 wave copper dipole.

All you need is two sections of 1/2 copper tubing cut to around 108 inches each.

A few inches of PVC Pipe or other suitable insulator to keep the two sections of copper secured and an inch or so apart

Then you need your coax to connect to the antenna.

When we first started out on CB we used a magnet mount antenna on an awning, but within a week or so built a dipole such as this one.. it worked until we got our first ground plane.

108 inches will end up being slightly long, but you can trim an equal small amount (1/2 inch or so) from each end until you get your SWR to an acceptable level.

Or, just do the same thing with wire instead of tubing. Hoisting the thing into a tree shouldn't be much of a problem. Keeping it straight might be, but hanging a rock on the end of it ought'a help with that (and that assumes you want to hang it vertically). Some nylon cord to do that 'hanging in a tree' with will work just fine. It can also take the place of insulators. It really doesn't get much cheaper than that, and it works.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Or, just do the same thing with wire instead of tubing. Hoisting the thing into a tree shouldn't be much of a problem. Keeping it straight might be, but hanging a rock on the end of it ought'a help with that (and that assumes you want to hang it vertically). Some nylon cord to do that 'hanging in a tree' with will work just fine. It can also take the place of insulators. It really doesn't get much cheaper than that, and it works.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

That is about as cheap as you are going to get, then you got to buy/get the coax.

Jeff

I mentioned the tubing because it's easier to align vertically and the original poster had been worried that the wire would get tangled in the trees during strong winds.

Thanks guys, a lot of useful information there. As far as the copper tubing/wire and the coax, is there some sort of coupler that i can connect them, or is it going to require some soldering?

The easiest way to do it is to separate out the last 3 or so inches of your coax into shield and center connector.

Then you can crimp on a small ring terminal and use a sheet metal screw or a bolt to connect the coax to the tubing.

Put the center lead to the piece of tubing on the top and the shield to the one on the bottom.

Use some good silicone to seal up the connections to prevent water damage. Be sure to put some on the coax as well where you cut the outer jacket off.

Now mount the antenna as high as possible and as far away from other objects as possible. Be sure neither piece of tubing is connected to the mounting arm if you use something metal to mount the antenna.

Have about $10? you can make a 1/2 wave copper dipole.

All you need is two sections of 1/2 copper tubing cut to around 108 inches each.

A few inches of PVC Pipe or other suitable insulator to keep the two sections of copper secured and an inch or so apart

Then you need your coax to connect to the antenna.

When we first started out on CB we used a magnet mount antenna on an awning, but within a week or so built a dipole such as this one.. it worked until we got our first ground plane.

108 inches will end up being slightly long, but you can trim an equal small amount (1/2 inch or so) from each end until you get your SWR to an acceptable level.

Would you say this antenna in a straight vertical, L or an inverted L configuration would be better?

In my opinion, I'd say straight vertical. It will be omni directional and vertical polarized like most CB antennas are, particularly mobiles. The inverted V and L shapes have some directionality, and the V tends to behave most like a horizontal antenna.

If I am in error on any point someone will correct me.

Git 'er dun.

I built mine in straight vertical. You can also change it up just a bit and only use one section of tubing, and cut 4 108" lengths of wire. Attach the wires together and tie them so they slope downwards at a 45 degree angle. Attach the shield to the wire connection.

The result will be a 1/4 wave ground plane. It won't have gain over anything, but it performs well. I had a friend who mounted one of these where the feedpoint was around 10 feet above the ground... so the radials were only around 2 feet or so above the ground. He lived about 20 miles from me as the crow flies and we talked without much difficulty. A few weeks later he bought a 20 foot tower and installed an Antron 99... while his signal went up, it wasn't much of a difference on the meter.

I may try building a dipole with switchable gp legs for directional capability, just by isolating each one from ground I could accomplish this.:whistle:

I've also been looking for a base antenna that isn't very large, most of the ones i have seen are at least 16ft long. If i can find something a little smaller, it'd be perfect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.