• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buying An Astroplane

Though the design is still somewhat of a mystery to me, I have a feeling you will see an overall loss in performance in comparison to the 5/8 -.64, not only because of the AP design's inherent handicap of loss of overall height above mast, but because when I tried one out (many decades ago) I also tested it with the top height equivalent to my Penetrator and it had less overall performance, especially on distant signals.

I presume the AP has a higher TOA than a 5/8 -.64.

I will be interested in your findings.:p

I figure to experience exactly what you've said. I have never had one and thought I'd see what it is all about. The price seemed right.

If I get this thing going I doubt I'll tear it up for aluminum. Someone will need a decent antenna to get on the air with it. There's plenty of other aluminum if I need it badly enough.

Though the design is still somewhat of a mystery to me, I have a feeling you will see an overall loss in performance in comparison to the 5/8 -.64, not only because of the AP design's inherent handicap of loss of overall height above mast, but because when I tried one out (many decades ago) I also tested it with the top height equivalent to my Penetrator and it had less overall performance, especially on distant signals.

I presume the AP has a higher TOA than a 5/8 -.64.

I will be interested in your findings.:p

007, summer before last I did several comparison trials using my Top One antenna, among others that are posted in my album. They were staged at various heights where I then recorded RX signals from a group of radio buddies around the Houston area. I didn't plan too well, so I didn't end up really being able to make good cross comparisons for test to test.

I thought I was making all the tests pretty equal, but when I finished and recapped everything I could see I missed the mark. I also compared the antennas side by side, a practice where many operators object. So, the reports that I posted will have to be considered in this light.

007, my results differ from your results using your modified P500.

I found in every case except one while comparing my Top One to several other antennas, where the tips were at the same height, that the shorter antenna will always show...an equal or better signal at the distances noted in my reports.

I didn't notice anything particular during testing, but on recapping my results it suggested that the antenna with the highest feed point in the test almost always showed the better RX signal. There were a few exceptions, but signals from a majority of local points out to maybe 60 miles were mostly stronger on the Top One in similar situations. I tested at various miles, but I can't argue about long range vs close range. If you want to look at that however, my reports do show approximate miles between stations.

I also have a recap report that shows the Top One performing quite well with its tip as much as 10' feet below the tip of my I-10K, for example, where I tried to get the current maxima's at equal heights and I have a test with my Top One setup with a full 1/4 wave radiator on top instead of the shorter top hat configuration.

I will mention that I'm limited to what I can do regarding height, because I can only test within a range above ground of about 40'. With 23' - 27' foot antennas this gets the bottom of the longer antennas below a 1/2 wavelength when trying to keep the tips equal heights. Then the houses in this area that are a minimum of about 18' at the peaks can interfere and I find that can be important to understand and consider when testing. I find getting any part of an antenna below the peaks of my house for sure, and maybe even neighbor's homes seemed to me to show determinately effects on the signals I saw using the antenna below 18' feet or the peaks of the roofs.

Avanti raises this issue and refer to it as "shadow," in their ad work or the AstroPlane Patent. I therefore consider the old CBBS stories about the AP's only benefit being "...it works real good only when installed low to the ground, suggesting that it's crappy when raised up higher" ...is just plain CBBullS.

I consider the AP to be a very effectively fed center fed 1/2 wave antenna that does show a little skewing in the pattern, similar to the skew noticed in 1/2 wave j-poles favoring one side.

If the Top One antenna is assembled well with all connections nice and secure, whether threaded or compression, then IMO the antenna is relatively free of common mode currents. I believe this is due to the very high voltage in the bottom hoop that creates a high impedance field around the antenna mast and coax which is known to help minimize CMC below like a choke. However, it any of the parts of this antenna are the least bit loose, you will likely see RFI and TVI problems.

Take special note, I discovered this problem by accident having bad TVI with my Top One: this can be a problem that isn't always easily noticed with some of the threaded connections by the way. One area of note in this case is a hub with a threaded stud in the end of an element is loose and can turn, or the hub that holds the top hat radials in the Top One. These hub parts are compression fixed in the tubing and can be loose. This problem may not show up on a continuity test. When I fixed the problems on my Top One the TVI went away. If you notice these fittings are loose, you will see problems if not fixed even if the antenna works normally otherwise.

I don't think the original Avanti will have this issue, because the tubing is all compression fit in the hub I think. Except maybe for the radial section that fits at the feed point. That one, I'm not sure about how it fits. I do know that Avanti gives a installation warning somewhere regarding this area however. They warn to be careful when inserting the radial into the insulator at the feed point. The warning is, that you can break a ring clip inside and the antenna won't work. Such info is in the original AstroPlane manual by Avanti.

If I get this thing going I doubt I'll tear it up for aluminum. Someone will need a decent antenna to get on the air with it. There's plenty of other aluminum if I need it badly enough.

Homer, this antenna does not show a mast support between the radials about half way down. I think you will find that part important to the effective operation of the antenna plus supporting the bottom section from the wind a little. There is an important discussion about what this part does in the Patent.

eddie is right,
the astroplane parallel conductors and hoop form a folded transmissionline, according to avanti the spacing and flare not only effect impedance it effects radiation angle too as does the mast length below the hoop,

at the moment i see the original astroplane as an unusual form of inverted sleeve antenna where you want to encourage currents in the upper 1/4wave and minimise currents in the mast/feedline,

the avanti astroplane patent provides methods of beamtilting your signal either upwards or down below the horizon,
if eddie gets the urge to model the astroplane id like to compare his results
to ezbob:)

007, summer before last I did several comparison...

I consider the AP to be a very effectively fed center fed 1/2 wave antenna that does show a little skewing in the pattern, similar to the skew noticed in 1/2 wave j-poles favoring one side.

Thank you! I believe I see it now.

A 50Ω direct-fed 3/4 wave which is folded so that the lower 1/4 radiates in phase with the 2nd 1/4 wave which creates the bottom half of a 1/2 wave with high current at the 'center' feed point, high voltage at the ring, high current at the center bar and high voltage at the top, requiring a top hat to add the capacitive coupling necessary to complete the otherwise too-short top 1/4 wave.

It is rather ingenious. I believe I have a new found respect for this design, however, where's the counterpoise?

When we put John's Penetrator up where the AP had been he saw improved performance and lost all TVI, including his neighbors TVI, but in swapping he did pick up a difference in height of about 18.75'.

Well, it certainly is more antenna than I had previously imagined it to be. Too bad it loses so much height in comparison to a bottom-fed or a revorutionaly new high technorogy centel-fed 5/8 Sirio Gain Master.

I can see it being a truly great mountaintop antenna...? (y)

Marconi, why can't you erect a 4-5 section push-up mast on the center of your roof and get some increased antenna elevation?

When I get to putting this antenna back together it seems I'll be needing the exact distances the skirt tubes should be. Clearly the tubes on the skirt, as well as the upper vertical, have been racked out of place. There is what appears to be an exaggerated curvature to one of the skirt tubes near the top of it, possibly a result of someone dropping it before I got it. Would modeling this antenna be necessary to give me where it should be put to be lined up correctly? If so, I'd be interested in the modeling results along with Bob85 (I'd want settings for best signal at a distance, I think).

I will get you the info for the missing parts that you need. The down tubes should start out being straight. That is with the bottom loop not attached. The loop and the spreader bar give the down tubes the correct curve. The top element should also be straight. I see yours is somewhat bent.

Attachments

• IMG_2144 (2).jpg
    IMG_2144 (2).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2146 (2).jpg
    IMG_2146 (2).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
Here you go.
The fiberglass rod could be .25" in diameter. This may be able to be picked up at a local hardware store along with a piece of thin stainless.
The sheet stainless pieces should be bent as per the photos, this is to capture the square nut. The two smaller clamps are missing the center hole for the #8 screws. This hole is .1875 (3/16") in diameter. I forgot to draw it in (sorry was in a rush to get this to you). The larger clamp that clamps the fiberglass rod to the mast has 4 large holes. You may not need all 4. Two are for a 1-1/4" mast and two are for a 1-1/2" mast depending on your choice of mast diameter.
You may be able to get the instructions off of CB Tricks web site.
Good Luck, Starduster

Attachments

• IMG_2439 (2).jpg
    IMG_2439 (2).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2440 (2).jpg
    IMG_2440 (2).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2443 (2).jpg
    IMG_2443 (2).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2444 (2).jpg
    IMG_2444 (2).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2445 (2).jpg
    IMG_2445 (2).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 7
Unless they have changed from back in the 70's I wouldn't expect much out of it. They just were not that good.

Terry

You can't expect too much from a 4' foot radiator setup beside an 18' or a 23' foot radiator towering above it, but if you put the tip of that 4' foot AstroPlane even close to the same height...you'll see about the same or better signals. If setup this high the AstroPlane can be effective even against the 28'> tall Vector 4000...it works goooood.

IMO it's just a matter of how high the AP is relative to other taller antennas, and if every nut, bolt, washer, and element is good n' tight.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.