• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax Plug Problem

OK ,I completely disassembled EVERYTHING.. Tried the reversal of the grommets, No change , lock-nut to cab roof interior without grommet or washers, No change, Checked all the coax & ends, checks out ok.....ONLY NOW i have severe engine noise coming into the radio!...I have the radio ground to the frame of the vehicle, and have bonded with Flat braid from cab to frame, bonded the hood to the frame. Is it possible i have a ground loop? by grounding everything to the frame? I've tried to do Everything right BEFORE i hooked power to this set-up. I have 4ga. Welding wire feeding this unit with 30 amp fuses.

As in the swr reading is still bad? And for the ground noise, what radio is it and do you have it grounded to a bolt that goes to the frame like under the dash one of the steering post bolts or a seat post bolt? You may need a noise filter in line or make sure that your grounds are a short as possible and that they go to the areas I listed above. If the swr reading is still bad, check that solder job on the center pin. If any of that solder is touching outside of the insulator it is going to show a short. And make sure to sand down the bottom side of your roof where the metal but attaches as this is your grounding point for the hard mount, take some fine grit sandpaper and make sure to get to bare metal. Good luck and hope some of this helps

I've yet to begin checking swr until i get the proper connection to the General Lee radio. I have a wilson mag mount i connected and the radio works great. so i now know that it's in that antenna somewhere....Brand new freakin antenna and i have issues!...grrrrr. It's got that N-PL mount, it even looks like junk! where the N connects to the bottom of the antenna theres no real pin like a 259. it's flat and the pin is on the antenna side., that makes the connection, or lack thereof... So, I have just ordered the Breedlove Mount, Shoulda done it 4 mos. ago! A Big Thanks to charlie brown, he installed his sirio with a Breedlove & it works Great! Thanks Charlie! it seems every time I try to save a buck, in the end it cost twice what it would have!...

Last edited:
should have a SO-239 mount,, are you sure you have the correct base/mount,,, it should look like a so239 coax connector sticking out of the base,, and the sirio antenna screws down onto that like a pl259 to a so-239 coax connection

base should have a connector on it that looks like this mag mount base:

Attachments

• 9-sirio-mag145pl.jpg
    9-sirio-mag145pl.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
heya camaro..This mount is for the sirio megawatt..the antenna side is a standard so-239 but the base end inside the cab is an "n" type, I ordered the coax especially for this mount, which works with this antenna...and has the pl-259 end that screws to the radio..I have some Amphenol connectors and some 8/u coax for my breedlove mount. I'm also going to shorten my ground from the radio to the frame. I do have rf issues.

Problem solved

The antenna lead i recieved from the UK was defective..The end didn't connect Properly to the Center antenna base..Weird setup anyways..I Ordered a puck from Breedlove Mounts..(Excellant Product Line"). I Pucked it, and Added 12' of LMR- 400. She works Sweet now!!,. This is my Sirio Megawatt 4000. Thanks for all the Help! 73's.

Attachments

• 000_0002_(10).JPG
    000_0002_(10).JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 10
  • sirio lead.jpg
    sirio lead.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like a problem in the mounting. No idea what that problem might be though. I'd go over the mounting instructions again and pay attention to any diagrams/pictures included.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

The antenna lead i recieved from the UK was defective..The end didn't connect Properly to the Center antenna base..Weird setup anyways..I Ordered a puck from Breedlove Mounts..(Excellant Product Line"). I Pucked it, and Added 12' of LMR- 400. She works Sweet now!!,. This is my Sirio Megawatt 4000. Thanks for all the Help! 73's.

i like that puck. its hardly even noticeable really. which model is it???

Puck Mount

Thats the DE-239 sold by breedlove mounts. Just a Basic 3" pl-275 into a Threaded Puck Mount . The sirio simply screws down onto it. and the coax in the vehicle screws to it. Very Practical. easy to install mount. I also had some " Under the Waterline" Marine Industrial Caulk that I sealed around the base for additional moisture protection.(y)

Reactions: 1 person
Just ordered one of the megawatt 4000 to try myself, I like the design better than the performer from the photos I have seen and it appears the whip is fatter, hotrod can til confirm that the whip is fatter than the performer whip that is very skinny at the top. Pencil lead skinny for about 4 inches. I am hoping the megawatt has a different whip, it looked like it did in the photos I looked at but it's hard to tell on a cel phone. I ordered one from DNJ anyway, had an accident with my performer 5000 , hit a low (10-12ft high) main power line at about. 35-40, needless to say the antenna broke the magnet mount so-239 connection, yes my mag mount held that good lol, and the antenna went off the truck and the bottom section is now warped and will not tighten down at the very bottom small 4 screws. It's got a bad side to side rock going on. I ordered a new mag mount already, but had to leave town. It will be there when I get home, for now I am running an old school wilson 5000 mag mount with times microwave lmr240. It's okay, but the sirio that I customized knocked the pants off of the Wilson's hands down IMO, way better rx and tx for sure!! Height makes a difference as well the size of the magnet and the fact I have 2 of the 6" pl145 magnets on the underside of my van along with 6 5" magnets. Sheet metal is thin and boy it helps a bunch having them. Anyway sweet mount, wish I could talk the boss into picking my roof lol. Not likely, so I gotta improvise!! God bless and again sweet setup, you inspired me to buy the antenna after seeing it.

Just ordered one of the megawatt 4000 to try myself, I like the design better than the performer from the photos I have seen and it appears the whip is fatter, hotrod can til confirm that the whip is fatter than the performer whip that is very skinny at the top. Pencil lead skinny for about 4 inches. I am hoping the megawatt has a different whip, it looked like it did in the photos I looked at but it's hard to tell on a cel phone. I ordered one from DNJ anyway, had an accident with my performer 5000 , hit a low (10-12ft high) main power line at about. 35-40, needless to say the antenna broke the magnet mount so-239 connection, yes my mag mount held that good lol, and the antenna went off the truck and the bottom section is now warped and will not tighten down at the very bottom small 4 screws. It's got a bad side to side rock going on. I ordered a new mag mount already, but had to leave town. It will be there when I get home, for now I am running an old school wilson 5000 mag mount with times microwave lmr240. It's okay, but the sirio that I customized knocked the pants off of the Wilson's hands down IMO, way better rx and tx for sure!! Height makes a difference as well the size of the magnet and the fact I have 2 of the 6" pl145 magnets on the underside of my van along with 6 5" magnets. Sheet metal is thin and boy it helps a bunch having them. Anyway sweet mount, wish I could talk the boss into picking my roof lol. Not likely, so I gotta improvise!! God bless and again sweet setup, you inspired me to buy the antenna after seeing it.

i might be wrong but i think the 4000 series have a thinner whip much like a wilson
which is good cause if ya hit those low wires again the whip will give better
and probaly wont give away like the 5000 did.

Cool I got my mount fixed now with my modded 5000 performer, loose parts inside, nothing was bent. All is good now, took the wilson off and put the performer back up and staring dx'ing again lol. Gotta love it when things work out, I will have an extra antenna now, guess I need to order a breed love puck now and put it to the side until the boss gives on the hard mount. Then I will do as you and run some lmr400. Thanks for the reply and god bless.

Cool I got my mount fixed now with my modded 5000 performer, loose parts inside, nothing was bent. All is good now, took the wilson off and put the performer back up and staring dx'ing again lol. Gotta love it when things work out, I will have an extra antenna now, guess I need to order a breed love puck now and put it to the side until the boss gives on the hard mount. Then I will do as you and run some lmr400. Thanks for the reply and god bless.

you gonna get a 4000 or not???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.