• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148gtl 1996

Time to look elsewhere then. Hope you get it resolved. Had an old side mic 148 and let a tech that I didn't know look at it and he ended up pretty well swiping it from me. Told me it was not repairable and tried to offer me a newer one he had for sale. The radio was in pieces as if he were using it already for another radio or redoing it for his own sale. Should have know better, but I tool word from another local which was a good guy and eventually he got screwed as well! Lesson learned for sure!
Anyways. Back on topic. I hope you are able to get it resolved kaos513! Keep at it!! Time to follow power out chain from one end to the other. Good luck and be safe!!

Time to look elsewhere then. Hope you get it resolved. Had an old side mic 148 and let a tech that I didn't know look at it and he ended up pretty well swiping it from me. Told me it was not repairable and tried to offer me a newer one he had for sale. The radio was in pieces as if he were using it already for another radio or redoing it for his own sale. Should have know better, but I tool word from another local which was a good guy and eventually he got screwed as well! Lesson learned for sure!
Anyways. Back on topic. I hope you are able to get it resolved kaos513! Keep at it!! Time to follow power out chain from one end to the other. Good luck and be safe!!
i had similar issue as you thats why i do this as a hobby not a buisness lol

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yep, I totally get it! Just not worth it!! Too many parts swappers these days. At any rate, like I said, I hope you find the issue and fix it!! They are nice radios even for their age they still kick butt!!
73 and God Bless!!

Reactions: kaos513
Hello guys I purchased a cobra 148gtl 1996 board:EPT01481Z my volume is all the way up and it sounds very low on ext speaker. thanks
I have read the thread. I don't fully understand the complaint. Is the audio also low on the internal speaker? Can you actually copy qso's on the correct frequency. I have one on the work bench today, my board is EPT014810Z made in Malaysia. Yours is missing the last zero. I can check some voltages if you want but start with the low tech i.e examine the microphone socket and pa switch closely. I have attached the schematic. It is the same as the ranger tr296 and different from the 148gtl schematic at cbtricks. Ranger does not easily give voltages it seems. I have the RCI 2985dx and can't find the voltages.

Attachments

• tr_296gk_dx_sm_sch.pdf
    341.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have read the thread. I don't fully understand the complaint. Is the audio also low on the internal speaker? Can you actually copy qso's on the correct frequency. I have one on the work bench today, my board is EPT014810Z made in Malaysia. Yours is missing the last zero. I can check some voltages if you want but start with the low tech i.e examine the microphone socket and pa switch closely. I have attached the schematic. It is the same as the ranger tr296 and different from the 148gtl schematic at cbtricks. Ranger does not easily give voltages it seems. I have the RCI 2985dx and can't find the voltages.
there is nothing wrong with voltage just very low when i have the volume cranked up,heck i have a 2011 cobra 148gtl its 10 times louder than the 1996 version.

Then, I would first find a loose/bad solder joint(s) by poking around with a stick, pushing on the board, etc. Possibly a bad audio chip or a disc cap/coupling. or other. Must be something in/around the audio chip since it performs the same way/problem in PA mode, so that gives you the area to look into - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Then, I would first find a loose/bad solder joint(s) by poking around with a stick, pushing on the board, etc. Possibly a bad audio chip or a disc cap/coupling. or other. Must be something in/around the audio chip since it performs the same way/problem in PA mode, so that gives you the area to look into - IMO . . .
i reflowed the pll section still have same issue as well.

there is nothing wrong with voltage just very low when i have the volume cranked up,heck i have a 2011 cobra 148gtl its 10 times louder than the 1996 version.
If your low volume refers to when you are having a qso ,its not normal.

Check TA7222AP pin 6 input and compare it with the output at pin 9. If the output is low at pin 9 you have a problem in the rf section probably bad coil. ...RF from a radio in the same room or lightning can destroy them. You should not be able listen comfortably or tolerate full volume blast. If you don't have the tools you will need someone with the correct equipment to make some of the checks.

If your low volume refers to when you are having a qso ,its not normal.

Check TA7222AP pin 6 input and compare it with the output at pin 9. If the output is low at pin 9 you have a problem in the rf section probably bad coil. ...RF from a radio in the same room or lightning can destroy them. You should not be able listen comfortably or tolerate full volume blast. If you don't have the tools you will need someone with the correct equipment to make some of the checks.
will test audio chip and voltage regulator and report back.

I just repaired a superstar 121 radio today with low RX. had to turn the volume up to hear it.
I put it on my repair bench and it worked just fine. called the guy and he said it would lose RX mounted in his truck. so I put a bracket on it and started to tighten the screws and as I tightened them up the RX would slowly drop down as if you were turning the volume down. pulled the covers off and looked close and the solder joints at the audio chip and a few were very skimpy on solder. some even dirty with rosin. cleaned them all up and reflowed the solder and all is well now.. never had one slowly drop the volume down as you would tighten the bracket screws. it was either it worked or it did not. new one on me today.
just thought I would let you know what you could have. radio came in today and already back in his truck.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.