• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 150GTL-DX

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
The other thread was getting pretty long, so it made sense to start another with the practical stuff on it, as it gets worked out.

The power socket is one that a few ham radios use. Same as the old Sears Roadtalkers of 25 or more years ago:
150_Roadtalker_Power.jpg

It really does have a frequency counter (display) socket on the rear. Didn't take any pics to prove it, but a Galaxy FC-390 lights up and works okay.

FCJack.jpg

RV9 sets carrier power on "Low" side. Only goes up to a little over 4 Watts max on "Low" side. Still shows 35 honest PEP at 4 Watts carrier. Drops to around 20 Watts at 1 Watt carrier. The other two are separate AM Limit (AMC) pots, one for high, the other for low side. With Q64 disabled, they do nothing. The large black chip at the lower-right corner below is the echo. he large black glob in the upper-right corner is a 6-Amp reverse-polarity protection diode. Bravo. Now if they had only placed it RIGHT NEXT to where the power wires meet the circuit board.

Q64WideShot.jpg

Here's a view of Q64 from an angle, makes the "unsolder one pin and bend up" suggestion a little clearer.

Q64_Q65.jpg

Eagle-eyed parties will spot a bare jumper wire above and to the left of the trimpots, up against the large black electrolytic cap. The empty holes appear to be for components you would use if this "regulator" circuit were used also as the AM modulator, like Galaxy/RCI/etc. radios use. In this radio, Q65 ONLY sets carrier level, and does NOT deliver any transmit audio. THAT comes from a 20-Watt audio power chip bolted to the side rail on the underside of the main board. And THAT'S what's broke on this radio. Won't have much to say about variable key until I get it working as a stock radio first. Not much point to modifying a broken radio. Too hard to tell if your mod worked when the radio won't in the first place. Don't know how close to the full 55 Watts PEP it will get with the variable until I see it work.

Heck, it might show 60 or more if I had a 100 Watt slug that worked. Blew mine out being sloppy. The 50 Watt slug just pegs on PEP. The 250 is probably reading a bit low, since the lower third of the scale is the least accurate way to read a Bird, or any other kind of analog wattmeter.

Haven't tried hammering the receiver or noise blanker at all, yet.

More later, when I get it to post.

Just a footnote,,,,,,,,, this is the same power connector used for current model Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu VHF radios, VERY COMMON, it is also the same connector used on the magnum delta force.

I'm just saying,,,,,,, :D

Work (play?) continues with the brand-new 150GTL-DX. The replacement audio power chips should arrive tomorrow, so I'll pick up where I left off with variable key.

One thing I neglected to point out in the pic that shows the "Low" side carrier power trimpot, is that the other TWO are for the AM modulation limiter (AMC). One for High power, one for Low power. If you leave the AMC connected, this may NOT be compatible with variable carrier power. More on that once I get to try it.

Thought I'd cover the unique channel selector arrangement. Looks normal enough at a glance, has a Band Selector on the front. Band B gets you USA CB channels 1-40.

C150Band_sw.jpg

But what's REALLY odd is the "+ 10kHz" switch. Doesn't do ANYTHING. At all. Don't need it, though.

Channel 3 looks innocent enough.

C150ch3.jpg

Click it once more to the right, and the RIGHT-HAND DECIMAL POINT lights up. Not as slick as the letter "A" appearing, but check the counter. You're on the RC channel "3A".
C150ch3a.jpg

So uh, just what's the "+ 10" switch there to do? Nothing that I can tell. Yet.

All five "RC" channels appear this exact way, in sequence where they belong.

C150ch7.jpg

C150ch7a.jpg

The REAL fun starts when you get all the way up to channel 40. The "rotary encoder" that is used as a channel selector has a different 'feel' than the RCI/Galaxy radios using a computer in place of a 40-click selector switch. This one goes around one full turn in only 20 clicks. Takes just over two full turns to travel 45 channels.
So, from channel 40 we click one more to the right, and:

C150ch40.jpg

BECOMES

C150ch41.jpg

Note the LEFT-HAND decimal point. This is your clue that you are on the UPPER half of the band.

Keep cranking, and "40" (with the "dot") is channel 85. Crank it one more, and you're back on channel 1. The selector "wraps" around the two sets of 45 per band-switch position.

C150ch85.jpg

In this case, channels 1 through 85 are on band "B". This gives you 90 channels below channel 1, TWO sets of 45 on band "A". Here's where it bottoms out on band "A". Note that the left-decimal is dark, indicating that this is the BOTTOM half of band A.

C150BotOut1.jpg

On band "C", coverage starts at 27.865, and goes about halfway up the 10-meter ham band. Select band "D", and crank the channel knob as far up as it goes. You'll see it stops at "35" on the 2-digit display, which is the legal top of the 10-meter band.

C150TopOut.jpg

Pain in the neck, having it here, and can't talk on it. Well, "won't" would be more like it. It's bad for business to key a radio and talk on it KNOWING that it will sound like S**T about half the time. Not to mention embarrassing.

More later, soon as parts arrive. And customers leave.

Oh, and HEY HAMER! Those two "bumps" you mention are the solder side of two connector pins. They mate with a plug on the opposite side of the PC board. They look more interesting in the pic than in real life.

I haven't seen a 200 yet, but I have one prediction to make about it. The CPU in this 150 that runs the PLL/Channel/Band selector has "150/200GTL" printed on it. Leads me to expect that the 200 will have the same unique frequency-coverage setup as the 150 does.

Maybe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.