• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 200

hi again any help. my 200 keeps getting reports of low audio low modulation. what can i do to make this radio better. thinking of throwing it out the window. but to much$$$$$$ invested already. please help.

If you go to CBtricks.com, you can find out which pot controls the modulation. OR...you can send it to Wizard in Chicago www.wizardbuilt.com and he will set it up for you.

I had him do mine and low audio is NOT a problem keys 5 and swings over 90 on low...keys 30 and swings to 140 on high. He's one of the best around on this radio.
Hope that helps,
Preacherman

Sending bad 200 back to Cobra..

If I am sending the bad radio in for service or replacement, should I unconvert it?

DTB, have you had any experience with the Cobra service center?
They suggested we send it back for repair/replacement.

Roger

I have not had any personal experience, but I've spoken with the gentleman who owns Cobra's Eastern US warranty service center, and I doubt you'd need to worry about unconverting it. As for sending it in for service, unless there is something not working at all, I think you're better off having it modified, or just using a stronger mic on it.

Sending it back

After a short talk with the 800# he agrees that it should be sent back for repair or replacement.
Symtom: Tx on SSB Hi Power only works for 20 Sec. then the radio looses all TX and RX. If you cycle the pwr, it will xmit again, If still in Hi pwr only for 20 sec. It works fine on low power, and on Hi and Low on AM. It will also recover if you switch back to low power and wait 60 sec, It will tx fine again unless you switch back to Hi power.

It does this converted or not.

Roger

Re: Sending it back

Rogerbird1 said:
After a short talk with the 800# he agrees that it should be sent back for repair or replacement.
Symtom: Tx on SSB Hi Power only works for 20 Sec. then the radio looses all TX and RX. If you cycle the pwr, it will xmit again, If still in Hi pwr only for 20 sec. It works fine on low power, and on Hi and Low on AM. It will also recover if you switch back to low power and wait 60 sec, It will tx fine again unless you switch back to Hi power.

It does this converted or not.

Roger

mine does the same exact thing. i had to send it back to get it repaired. hi power ssb did swing up to about 180 then just drops out and nothing happens, cycle power and everything works fine except when you go back to hi ssb.

that would be interesting to know if they undo the mod's and put it back to spec's ??? You might think they would to go along with the law ? Hmmmm

Sent back to TN

I sent it back, they seemed to think it was a major fix, Said they may replace it. I did unconvert it, before sending it back, mainly to verify the prob was still there in 'Normal' conditions, It was.

All they asked for was a note describing the issue and to send it back with all that came with it. Didnt even need a Return Authorization number.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Roger

Well after months of great service mine has finally failed :shock: Now I know what it is to becouse a local had the same problem but earlier. the radio acts fine one day you turn it on and there is RX I key the mic and nothing. Now Im not saying dont buy one becouse its a great radio but the stock drivers dont seem to hold up. :? So off TN it goes. Just wondering if anyone else besides me and my friend have had this problem?

yup on 2 of them for me. after they come back they have 2290's installed. the best advice i can give you is not to push them hard, they do not hold up to higher power levels.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned