• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 200

DTB Radio said:
I may be incredibly lucky, but every single 200 that I've sold has already had the 2290's installed. In fact, I've only seen a couple 200's that used the other "pills". Not one single customer so far has had that problem.

DTB,
I got mine from you. Should I check it to see what's in it?

I can answer that for you Hardhead. Dave is a very good tech. If he says "every single 200 that I've sold has already had the 2290's installed.", then you can rest assured yours has 2290's.

Got the radio back on Monday 6/19 (5day turn)

Got the radio back on Monday 6/19 (5day turn)

"I sent it back, they seemed to think it was a major fix, Said they may replace it. I did unconvert it, before sending it back, mainly to verify the prob was still there in 'Normal' conditions, It was.

All they asked for was a note describing the issue and to send it back with all that came with it. Didnt even need a Return Authorization number.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Roger"

Works great now, Hi and Low Power. They replaced the driver (Q73) and added a cap mod across Q3 (220pf) [EC44 - Engineering Change?] & Aligned it.
On a note, stated that the Hi power should not be set higher than 100w SSB.

Fast turn around and No Charge!

Roger

Carl said:
yup on 2 of them for me. after they come back they have 2290's installed. the best advice i can give you is not to push them hard, they do not hold up to higher power levels.
Mine has 2290s its just the driver that went out. It was also doing over 100 watts on side band and it was stock except for the conversion.

Hardhead said:
DTB Radio said:
I may be incredibly lucky, but every single 200 that I've sold has already had the 2290's installed. In fact, I've only seen a couple 200's that used the other "pills". Not one single customer so far has had that problem.

DTB,
I got mine from you. Should I check it to see what's in it?

For giggles, go ahead and look. There's always the possibility that I am forgetting one, but I doubt it.

Great information DTB! I've seen posts on other forums where people are referring to the "original finals" as mosfets. If I recall correctly there were in fact the HF50-12F by ASI. This is in fact a bipolar transistor and should perform fairly well. They probably switched to the 2SC2290 because the power output is greater, the 10 meter market is more familiar with that part and with the cost of the HF50-12F being nearly the same as the 2SC2290 switching to it was an easy decision. I believe ASI quoted us around $17 for the HF50-12F transistors last fall and the 2SC2290 is very close to that price as well.

Just so everyone knows there is also a shop out of IN or MI called Key's CB that does warranty repair on the 10 meter radios for Cobra. I've heard very good things about this shop and I understand the turn around time is very quick. I'll post their contact information on Monday.

DTB Radio said:
I agree! (Had one returned because of a bad antenna system. It took out the driver, not the radios fault) I have sold over 50 of them in the last year. I get raving reports. Everyone that has purchased them likes them. I saw a claim in a prior post that their 200 was doing 5>90 on low and 30>140 on high. I have not encountered this. I can squeeze about 125 PEP out of them max on high, but they run very hot. Generally, I will set them at about 30>90 on high. It will hit most highdrive boxes just right. It is in my experience with this radio that it can become easily "overdone." A good peaking and tuning isn't always just "peaking" it to its max. I think that because it is a new radio people are somewhat leary about purchasing it. Even more techs have not had time to play with it. Alot of techs are not capable of messing with it due it being surface mount. I have made the claim on several other threads about the 200. Frankly, I think that it is a comprible radio to the Galaxy 95T. What does the 95T have that the 200 doesn't besides PA and talkback? Talkback is installed with every radio that we send out as well as all the service updates for the radio. For almost HALF of what it costs to run a 95T, I know where I'm putting my money.

if a radio is peeked out too hi, could the driver be getting too hot and shutting it down? maybe thats what mine was doing, she was doing like 150 on am and like 170 on ssb. i wouldnt mind turning it down a bit if she will last, besides i am sure u wont be able to tell the difference.

thedirtmover said:
I can squeeze about 125 PEP out of them max on high, but they run very hot. Generally, I will set them at about 30>90 on high.
After checking my bench meters against the bird I run in my mobil, I found a recalabrating was in order. I am now seeing about 150 to 175 watts PEP. Sheesh, time to retire these meters on the bench and put the bird in there.

I would think this radio (Cobra 200 ) should become very popular with truck drivers if they can get away it. I realize 10 meter converts can be a no no with a lot of companies unless drivers have proof of having a Ham ticket. The talk of the 95Ts has always been a 50/50 conversation with others , I know a few reputable tech's that say (I realize a lot of them have a lot to say) that they are not worth the sky high price tags set upon them and that they are truly not the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to manufacturing. Even though I have "heard" many users of the 95T's as happy campers with there radios. These's Cobra 200s seem to be getting a lot of thumbs up and those same tech's are saying save your money and get one of those that they are truly the better deal between the 2 radios. Outside of a few bugs here and there , IM very impressed with this Cobra 200 !! I hope to have one some day to see for myself. Just good to see that Cobra has now put out a power house of a radio with the works in the draw. To-Shay Cobra .....To-Shay !!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned