• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 channel display???

Chevboy0167

Apr 5, 2017
Hello again folks. I have an older Cobra 25LTD classic, 6-'91 made in Philippines, that has main board PC-417AJ. I just recapped it with all Nichicon, new meter, case covers with new speaker and aligned it. My question is, what 2 digit segment does it require for replacement? The original one has 2 burnt segments and the part no. is LDG-202A-04. Does this indicate a common Anode unit? Now, I tried an eBay blue display with part no. 2D-04C-Blue 1611 and it will not display properly. Does the C mean common Cathode? All the reading I found so far indicates all the 25s have com. cathode but maybe these older units use the com. Anode.... All replies welcome, thank you.

I have seen the adds that say only work in the 29s and not the 25s. I just can't wonder that the older units use that type. My next course of action is try com. anode, they are cheap and easy to replace with little loss if failure occurs. I tried for hrs looking up the LDG-202A with no results. I hate guess work. Heck.... I even found information and a replacement display for my avatar radio..... Uniden Trucker. Never thought that would happen!

yep, the cobra 25, the 66, the 68, and whatever president, teaberry, and realistic chassis that used that board before about 2014 used a common cathode display.

i've never really been sure why they chose to do that.
LC

I Changed the channel display on a PC66 and found it to be the same as the display they use for the cobra 29 ltd. The 25 is different though. I also was told if you put the display for the 29 in backwards it will light on a 25 ltd but I never tried that. b
But my PC66 used the same display as the cobra 29 LTD.

Leepfrog, I just tried a com. cathode EKL blue display and did not work. Next step is to try a com. anode. But I may try to flip this cathode one I got just to see what happens... only thing is the period digit behind each main digit will be visible towards the top. Not a big deal in my book though as long as It don't light up!

Low Boy, looks like I may be trying a 29 display also just to clear the air on this particular year and main board. Only reason why I choose blue is cuz I got new blue cases on this 25 and the meter light was already a blue LED when I got it. Personally I like the old red and may try an amber in another 25 or 29 I got. The factory green just doesn't do it for me in an older rig.

I had the same problem as you with a old PC66. I then ended up trying a display out of a Cobra 29 and it worked. I actually like the red. Blue looks good but always seems a bit too bright.

I don't know what to say guys, I haven't done a pc-66 or 25 with a common anode segment, they have always been common cathode from what I have seen, but that is not to say Uniden didn't use a different part for a while on the 66XL, the best way to know if you are not sure, is to use a D.M.M. on diode check mode and determine if the old LED is common cathode or common anode.

I've found I can even use common cathode segments on a TRC-427 (kind-of-a pre-runner to the 25 GTL) that dates back to late 70's early 80's. I agree, the blue LED's can be a bit rough on the eyes.
Cobra 25 Blue Display., Postby Rick »(DefPom) Friday 11th Jan 2008, 21:58

The number of the common cathode 7 Segment display is 4023BA. Try the links below,
http://www.roberts-etronics45.com/led424234.html

I get my ones from www.jtronix.com but they may not sale to the public.

Use a 2K2 dropper resistor or the the display will only last a short while.
Rick.

Last edited:
I do have a newer 25 here, (front mic), and may take a look at the part no. to see if I can find spec sheet to see if they switched styles. Just ordered blue for 29 com. anode to give it a go. I will keep y'all updated on my findings. Happy Holidays!

guy's I see every one says check the led but if you do not know just how the feed works you are out of luck doing this. the 2 bottom center legs of the led is the main feed for each leg of the led. if you put just under 3 volts on the 2 bottom center legs then touch each individual other legs with gound that one led will light up if it is good.
this is for the common anode version. just reverse this method to test the legs of a common cathode led.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.