• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Convince me to keep my HR2600

I have a Doc tuned HR2600 and its a great radio !I use it on 10 meters Ham and 11meters .The radio's a keeper.Don't let people tell you to buy a junk Ranger radio you will regret it. 8)

Reactions: puckett
I prefer a 2510 over the 2600 chipswitched.
I like a bone stock ( I mean no audio or rf mods) 2510 without the chipswitch or any other mods.
I have a chipswitched 2600 right now that I have been using.... it had an upgraded final in it but I ended up taking it out an putting it back to stock configuration.
I never use any of the additional freqs that you get with a chipswitch so its useless to me.
I use these radios as a base and they run really clean with enough power and audio when they are stock.

Like I said, I have a 2600 chipswitched now on my base....I like the 2510 way better.
I don't need all the extra features that chipswitch ads to these radios and I find them to be useless for me.

If it was a 2510 I would say keep it.... but the 2600 chipswitched doesn't do it for me. If you chipswitched it yourself an its modded (or unmodded) the way you want then keep it.
But they just don't do much for me... a stock 2510 does everything I need and it does it clean enough for a base.

The way Doc explained it to me was that he could put a 2510 chip in it for $60 and I would get 11 meters and his tune. That is what he told me and how I understand it. The extra features of the chipswitch are useless to me as well. This is going to sit as a base station.

Well, I've always been partial to the 2510 over the 2600. If you do end up selling it, you can always look around for a Ranger AR3500. A simple mod makes it cover quite a spread (24.85-30mHz). Plus you get 30w AM, 120w SSB and 150w CW. With some modding and peaking, you can achieve 100w AM! Modulation is hot on this rig! They typically sell for the same price as most 2510s do. The Ranger is everything a 2510 is and more.

ar3500fnt_trans.0.jpg

ajw2685 said:
The way Doc explained it to me was that he could put a 2510 chip in it for $60 and I would get 11 meters and his tune. That is what he told me and how I understand it. The extra features of the chipswitch are useless to me as well. This is going to sit as a base station.

With a chipswitch you get options where the radio can run "like" a 2510 or 2600. Theres alot of settings like that with chipswitch. Personally, I find them all a pain in the a$$. I just like a clean radio where I can adjust the freqs and go where I need to..... the lowest freq I need is maybey 26.600 and the highest about 29.00 even though there nothing up on 10 meter around here. No 10 meter action or repeaters around here so all the"offset" functions aren't needed.
Theres just too much that a chipswitch 2600 can do and I only need about 2% of those functions.
Chipswitch is just not for me... but I guess with a 2600.. your kinda stuck with it. I've never heard of using a 2510 chip in a 2600 to make it function like a 2510.... they are very different boards.... if its possible I would certainly do it.
Let me know if you get this done and how it works. I got a few 2510's and 2600 at home kickin around.

bushwacker said:
ajw2685 said:

With a chipswitch you get options where the radio can run "like" a 2510 or 2600. Theres alot of settings like that with chipswitch. Personally, I find them all a pain in the a$$. I just like a clean radio where I can adjust the freqs and go where I need to..... the lowest freq I need is maybey 26.600 and the highest about 29.00 even though there nothing up on 10 meter around here. No 10 meter action or repeaters around here so all the"offset" functions aren't needed.
Theres just too much that a chipswitch 2600 can do and I only need about 2% of those functions.
Chipswitch is just not for me... but I guess with a 2600.. your kinda stuck with it. I've never heard of using a 2510 chip in a 2600 to make it function like a 2510.... they are very different boards.... if its possible I would certainly do it.
Let me know if you get this done and how it works. I got a few 2510's and 2600 at home kickin around.

I called and talked to some lady at Doc's and that is how she explained it to me. If that is not the case, it WILL be for sale. I am not putting $150 into the radio just to get 11 meters. I thought I could handle $50-$60, not $150 for a full chipswitch. :? Sounds like I need to make another phone call. :(

Yes, the CPU from a HR 2510 (UC1201) will work in a HR 2600(UC1251)... I would use a socket, that way if anyone in the future wants to chipswitch it or go back to the stock chip they can. You will lose the offsets for ten meter FM, but Doc or RogerBird can both do the conversion...I have installed CPU`s in all three of these radios. You must be careful, the pin spacing is very tight on the CPU, and the Traces are very small. It is easy to lift a trace if too much heat is applied, or bridge a connection when re-installing the chip/socket.
The other thing to be aware of is that some of the holes are "thru plated" this means the there is a very small copper sleave that is in the hole that some of the pins go through on the board. This connects the trace to both the top and bottom side of the board, and if you do not apply the correct amount of heat,or apply it long enough you can pull the sleave out with the pin, breaking the connection. Both Doc and RogerBird are very aware of this and have the proper skill, and Equpment to do the job.
If you want to really understand how to change the chip, Go HERE__CLICK HERE__
and read the instructions for installing the ChipSwitch, this applies to the stock chips as well.
You can click the Links at the top of the page for more info on the ChipSwitch, and its features

A review of the Chipswitch can be forund here
cbworldinformer.com/cb_world_960801.htm

Jeff

later 2510's & all 2600's used the 'non-modifiable' IC in an attempt to satisfy the FCC during one of their last big 'manufacturer sweeps' at trying to deter CB use of those types of radios. the 2600 was geared more towards hams then cbers by the addition of offset function, etc. fortunately, it was otherwise the same, and the 1201 chip could be taken from 'deceased' 2510's & then put into 2600's to get them on 11 meters. the 1201 gets you down to 26 mhz, so cb is covered. the development of the chipswitch, which in reality makes the 2510 & 2600 BETTER for amateur use then cb use, and gets you down to 12 meters, produced a market for any removed 1201's, again to convert non-1201 radios to cb use.
so, correct, a chipswitched 2510/2600/lincoln is totally unneccessary for a radio being used on cb & freeband only. i've seen used 1201's on auction for $25-30-but, are they any good after being unsoldered? if i wasn't comfortable doing it myself, i suppose $50-60 for doc to take a 1201 he's already removed & put it into a 2600/1251-2510 is a good deal since he has to check that the chip functions. a chipswitch & socket can be had for around $65. the easiest way to get the old chip out is by cutting the legs off of it-which i will not hesitate to do with 1251's-then desoldering with a very small, fine-tipped iron, like 20 watts or so. removing a 1201....well it depends on the mood i'm in, some i've cut, some i've unsoldered.

Roger Dodger said:
Well, I've always been partial to the 2510 over the 2600. If you do end up selling it, you can always look around for a Ranger AR3500. A simple mod makes it cover quite a spread (24.85-30mHz). Plus you get 30w AM, 120w SSB and 150w CW. With some modding and peaking, you can achieve 100w AM! Modulation is hot on this rig! They typically sell for the same price as most 2510s do. The Ranger is everything a 2510 is and more.

ar3500fnt_trans.0.jpg
i llike that radio.

Roger Dodger said:

ar3500fnt_trans.0.jpg
i llike that radio. thier the best ssb design imho

imho this radio is as close to a hf set like icom ,ect without
actually getting one.local here hadf one sounded great
good clean audio,just like a expensive hf set

Well, I have it all packaged up and ready to be mailed to Doc's. I just have to call him and talk to him. I hope to get it sent out on Wednesday or Thursday this week. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.