• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EBAY SELLERS

Lil'Yeshua

Nov 22, 2012
Pageland,S.C.
I just wanted to share my first Ebay buying experience.
First I want to say that I've read enough posts on this forum to be very cautious about shopping on EBAY. Presentation,The seller's description,and photos of the item being sold and scrutinizing every little detail of item being offered can either land you a gem or a dud.
I recently won bids on;
1.Realistic hand mic,circa 1980's'new'
2. Realistic TRC-421A CB Radio'new'
3. Realistic TRC-422A CB Radio'new'
4. Sears Roadtalker 40 AM CB Radio'newish'
5. Midland 1001Z CB Radio'new'

After receiving all of these items I purchased I examined each one to see if the Ebay seller I purchased them from was accurate in their description of these items.
Summary: all of these items except for the Sears Roadtalker met and exceeded my expectations.
The Roadtalker was listed as new and untested. I knew from examining the pics and description on Ebay that this seller might not be in the up and up with his items he's selling. On the Roadtalker it has two small cosmetic scratches on the faceplate,a mic clip(not the supplied one)is attached,a cig plug adapter is attached to the power wires. Other than this,the radio looks new,new. I powered it up and everything seems to work. I even got a radio check from a trucker sitting at the truck stop across the highway. The trucker said I sounded a little staticky but good otherwise. Note that with businesses all around,there's about 7 S-Units of static noise produced by these businesses. Another thing I noticed with this new 35 year old transceiver is that the control pots need cleaned. They're scratchy.
Also I bought a new inline swr/fs meter that looks like my Midland. I also am bidding on another new Radio Shack mobile transceiver.

Any tips and advice is welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Well...

I definitely wouldn't want to win a "dude"!
I would communicate with the seller that sold you the shitty Road Talker. Either return it or get a partial refund. Anyways, I usually leave neg feedback on wads like him.

I have many radios that I could clean and carefully repackage to pass off as NIB, but I don't. I hate liars with a passion.

Reactions: coolhandluke
This is a mixed bag of worms for some cause I purchased a DX-959 from what is supposed to be a referable dealer and there was so many things wrong with it and communication was terrible with this dealer.

Since then I have purchased 3 radios from Ebay and 2 of the 3 were excellent radios and reasonable to boot, 1 is a DX-959 which is in great shape and much better then the one I got from the dealer and was only $72 and the other is a DX-99V which is the best of all the radios I have, the third radio which is a 696F SSB Base is a great AM radio, but the sideband receive audio is garbled for some reason and I have yet to figure what is causing it, so for me Ebay purchases have been pretty good.

I find that resistors, caps and other parts are cheaper and available through Ebay sellers where you can't seem to get them in the USA reasonable with free shipping unless you buy thousands of their parts, another thing a person has to watch out for as some charge way to much for shipping an item.

You just have to look at their feedback and see if there any negative feedback in the last six months, at least this has seemed to work for me and keep an eye on the postage.

Ya take a chance either way
7T3's

Well...

I definitely wouldn't want to win a "dude"!
I would communicate with the seller that sold you the shitty Road Talker. Either return it or get a partial refund. Anyways, I usually leave neg feedback on wads like him.

I have many radios that I could clean and carefully repackage to pass off as NIB, but I don't. I hate liars with a passion.
Oops! I meant,"DUD" not dude,dude.
I have communicated with the seller and he apologized for the defects and offered to rectify the problem. But I'm keeping it as it is close to being new and besides,I gave it to my brother who is a radio collector.

The audio is in the 90% range.

Besides,Ebay says to wait 7 days before giving the seller less than a stellar report card.

Last edited:
Reactions: CbRadiosPRONTO
It's your business...

I hold people to task with their descriptions, especially when they claim it's new, bnib, unused, mint, and bought new and never used.

Asshats that lie, need to be exposed. Makes getting turds for the rest of us less likely.

Many of those cheap components are counterfeit. Ya gotta beware.

Yep, just hope those cheap components work as well, counterfeit is ok as long as it works, look at the Rolex's, but that's another story.

I wonder if there is a list of bad components to beware of?

It's your business...

I hold people to task with their descriptions, especially when they claim it's new, bnib, unused, mint, and bought new and never used.

Asshats that lie, need to be exposed. Makes getting turds for the rest of us less likely.

I did email the seller explaining all the little things that says that it's not a new never been touched radio. Someone had the radio hooked up for a short time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 12
$12.49+shipping.
Even had the receipt from 1978. Manufacture date;1977

I'm wondering about the 'DIM' thing on the radio.

I left the seller a less than stellar feedback rating.

Update on Midland 1001Z. I had a closer look at this one and someone attached a cig adapter plug on this one as well. The seller for this radio advertised it as new in box,never been used.
Looks like I got to educate this one what is the difference between new and never been used and one that has been used with an add on cig adapter plug is.

1001Z mods; http://ke7tbb.m.webs.com/site/mobil...4bf522&fw_sig_social=1&fb_sig_network=fw#1233

Last edited:
Standard ebay response describing a CB radio .. I plugged it in and all lights lit up unable to test further no antenna. I hope you didn't pay much for the radios you listed they are not hot sellers and those radios you listed usually go unsold.

I'm into new old stock "vintage" CB radios right now. Particularly the Realistic models. The TRC-421A & the TRC-422A I purchased off Ebay are new in the box. No signs of anyone ever using(used)them. I bought some Johnson Messenger crystals and they're new in the box. Even the boxes they've come in are in mint condition. If you're someone just into resale value then that's your thing. I've considered buying stuff based on resale value and right now that's not what I want. I buy something based on what I want and for sentimental value and what I'd think someone I know would like to have
I think the Ebay should lay down some absolutes if they haven't already on what is new and what is used.

The people who sold me the Midland & Sears sounded a little funky in their description of their wares.

The pic is from the Midland sell. Not the proper response. Doesn't the seller know what they sell? Who does the packaging? Hopefully I'll be refunded.

Note: the cig adapter plug was wired up backwards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Looks like it.
I plugged in the radio but the fuse was blown so used a spare 10 amp fuse and then I realized that the plug was backwards :censored:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.