• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EBAY SELLERS

I think I cooked the Midland's goose. When I first plugged up(seller attached cug plug)the radio it didn't work on account of a blown fuse. I put in a 10 amp fuse. I took for granted that the cig plug adapter was wired right. It wasn't. The radio made a weird sound and the fuse holder put off an orange light show. I hope that all I have to replace is the IN4004.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 5
wire it up correctly and remove the diode for now and see if it powers up

I'll try it.

Update: D16 was letting voltage flow both ways. I didn't have access to my soldering iron so I used my pocket knife to break D16 in two. At first the radio didn't come on but now it does.
Since I have the covers off I'll adjust VR2 for good modulation.
Thanks Camaro1!

Last edited:
I didn't know which way to turn VR2 but I think I got it right. I'll hook it up to a modulation meter and a dummy load later.
I did get a good radio report from a local

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
Standard ebay response describing a CB radio .. I plugged it in and all lights lit up unable to test further no antenna. I hope you didn't pay much for the radios you listed they are not hot sellers and those radios you listed usually go unsold.

I also like the one's that state "in good working order" but with no ant, no pwr cable , and no mike.:confused: Can't give away am sets here in Aus.

Here's vid of a 1001Z with a RF Limited 2018 Xtreme echo mic. My 2018 makes my Uniden 505's audio sound loud and it looks like it will make my 1001Z loud too. Just wish I knew how to tune it.
Midland 1001z CB radio review - YouTube

http://ke7tbb.m.webs.com/site/mobil...4bf522&fw_sig_social=1&fb_sig_network=fw#1233

Just for the record,whoever first bought this radio got it off of Amazon,hooked up the cig adapter plug backwards,blew the fuse and let it sit for two years until it was Ebay sold to me.
I guess it will work alright without the protection diode as long as I don't hook it up backwards.

Last edited:
Well I adjusted VR2 for max modulation. It's nowhere near what my Galaxy does. With the stock mic it does 70% modulation when I say,"Aaaaaah" and 100% when I whistle. With my 2018 Xtreme it does 100% with a loud echo and a little over 100% on whistle. It seems that something is limiting the modulation. If this where a SSB radio the audio would be suited for it. The radio dead keys 3 1/2 watts and does 9 1/2 watts PEP while saying,'Aaaaauuuuddiiioo'. It will swing to 18 watts if I whistle

Note: normal talking yields 20% modulation. Higher tone speech yields more modulation
The louder you talk the more modulation you can pump through radio.
A power mic is definantly in order for this radio unless you know how to tune this radio

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
RV2 Modulation pot
If you look just above VR2 you'll see where I broke D16 in two in order to get the radio working again after I blew it up with a 10 amp fuse because the 2 amp fuse was blown before I found out that the seller attached a cig adapter plug backwards(reverse polarity)to the power wire on this "NEW" radio.

The link I posted has a mod to replace the final with a 2SC1969. Anybody know what that would do for this radio?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Now this is a NIB never been used at all radio. The power cord is as it was when originally packaged. Got that new circuit board burn in smell not a scratch no not one. Everything that came with radio is packaged right. One of the things that attracted me into buying this radio is that it has a monitor for listening to transmissions while I'm outside the vehicle just like on my TRC-428. Only downside to this radio like the 428 is that there is no modulation adjustment pot. I had three choices. 1. Cut the limiter,2. Cut limiter and install a VR pot,3. Leave stock
Thirty-two year old brand new radio! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Well I adjusted VR2 for max modulation. It's nowhere near what my Galaxy does. With the stock mic it does 70% modulation when I say,"Aaaaaah" and 100% when I whistle. With my 2018 Xtreme it does 100% with a loud echo and a little over 100% on whistle. It seems that something is limiting the modulation. If this where a SSB radio the audio would be suited for it. The radio dead keys 3 1/2 watts and does 9 1/2 watts PEP while saying,'Aaaaauuuuddiiioo'. It will swing to 18 watts if I whistle

Note: normal talking yields 20% modulation. Higher tone speech yields more modulation
The louder you talk the more modulation you can pump through radio.
A power mic is definantly in order for this radio unless you know how to tune this radio

Update: my brother helped me reset the modulation control pot. There seems to be a sweet spot. At one end there's very little change then all of a sudden there's this monster audio coming out from the radio. Continue to turn it even further thinking that if that is good there must be more available and the audio deteriorates. It's one of those weird adjustment things that totally different than a Galaxy's pot adjustment.

The TRC-421A checked out okay though just a little under powered compared to the 422A. The Midland has some good forward swing with the 2018 mic. The Sears well,it belongs to my brother. No snipping D501 for him.

Score:2 for 2. Two brand new 32 year old radios still in the box and never been used. Two radios passed off as new but not!
All four of then work. They just need tuned and descent mics assigned to them.

Last edited:
You should get a volume discount.

I already talked with him and got a ballpark figure. Just wish I knew as much as he does and had the test equipment

I finally have an opportunity to have my old stuff tuned right. The 428 I had a CB/Ham kind of person tune it up 25 yrs ago. I hate meters that walk backwards when I modulate.
The 422A&421A will be strutting. I'm already getting the local CB'ers interested in having their rigs professionally tuned and aligned. They hear my DTB tuned rigs.
I almost had the 1001Z tuned right on the modulation but something keeps hamstringing the modulation. I have to eat my 2018 with the Midland.
The Realistics have their usual resistors keeping the modulation somewhere around 70%.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.