• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FatBoy 1x4 input "dead key"?

I just wanted to point out that the 2SC2879 does make a good driver in many cases. The comment about the 2SC2290 "taking off faster" is not truly accurate. If you look at the gain figures for both transistors you'll see the 2SC2879 is kind of special. Unlike most transistors, the more power output they are rated for, the less gain the transistor has. Not the case when comparing the 2SC2290 against the 2SC2879. The 2SC2879 actually has more gain then the 2SC2290 and will produce more power for a given level of drive. The 2SC2879 will also produce less IMD at a higher power output. Granted, if driven hard the 2SC2879 will overdrive four finals but the output of a 2SC2290 would get dirty just as fast if you over drive it.

Reactions: ShadowDelaware
I just wanted to point out that the 2SC2879 does make a good driver in many cases. The comment about the 2SC2290 "taking off faster" is not truly accurate. If you look at the gain figures for both transistors you'll see the 2SC2879 is kind of special. Unlike most transistors, the more power output they are rated for, the less gain the transistor has. Not the case when comparing the 2SC2290 against the 2SC2879. The 2SC2879 actually has more gain then the 2SC2290 and will produce more power for a given level of drive. The 2SC2879 will also produce less IMD at a higher power output. Granted, if driven hard the 2SC2879 will overdrive four finals but the output of a 2SC2290 would get dirty just as fast if you over drive it.
BUT WHEN CHOOSING A DRIVE TRANSISTOR FOR A 1X4 CONFIGURATION THE 2SC2290 TOSHIBA IS THE LOGICAL CHOICE FOR THE GIVEN OUTPUT WITHOUT HAVING TO RESORT TO OVER PAD THE INPUT OF THE DRIVER TO LOWER IT'S RATE OF GAIN.

BUT WHEN CHOOSING A DRIVE TRANSISTOR FOR A 1X4 CONFIGURATION THE 2SC2290 TOSHIBA IS THE LOGICAL CHOICE FOR THE GIVEN OUTPUT WITHOUT HAVING TO RESORT TO OVER PAD THE INPUT OF THE DRIVER TO LOWER IT'S RATE OF GAIN.

I do agree with this but at the same time I would not be disappointed to see a 2SC2879 in the drive stage. Just watch the drive level. Besides there are plenty of other shortcomings with these amps other then the driver used. I've only used the 2290 as a driver into four finals and would step up to a 2879 when using at least 6 finals in a 3 port configuration.

I have a fatboy 2290and driver four 2879 love it I also have a one 2879lol driving six 2879 and the 7one pill box is a high drive wonder if booths 1 x 4 is

I have a fatboy 2290and driver four 2879 love it I also have a one 2879lol driving six 2879 and the 7one pill box is a high drive wonder if booths 1 x 4 is

As a general rule any amplifier with a driver stage is not a high drive. That said there are some special use custom built amplifiers that defy this logic. An example would be say a 2x2 keydown amplifier. I guess that why they blow finals all the time though.

What the heck is a 7 one pill box??????

We've been running this 1x4 with a dead key of between 100 and 150 watts and then leaving it swing to whatever it does (don't really have a choice on that)...the Dosy meter is loose, so it reads anywhere between 650 and 800 watts, depending on the day (read: voltage pushed by alternator varies with ambient temperatures).

I get good reports, the radio is not clipped nor does it have a swing kit. It was tuned by DTB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.