• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Front Stakehole Antenna - what will give a decent SWR?

That front 'stake hole' will probably work just fine for you. Sure there's a possibility that the antenna might touch the cab, but it's not very likely. If you're worried about it, slip a tennis ball on the antenna so it will act as a 'bumper'. If you ever stop fast enough to cause that antenna to hit the cab of the truck, you'll have more important things to contend with than that antenna!
Getting a good SWR is part of what tuning that antenna is all about. The most common way of doing that is by adjusting the antenna's length. It's mounting position does have an affect, but that's not much of a biggy, all things considered. Maybe the simplest way of going about it is to start a little 'long' and shortening it till the SWR is acceptable.
- 'Doc

(If the 'other half' thinks you're crazy because of that antenna, just remind her that you put up with her, so she should know you're crazy to start with. And if you're silly enough to tell her that you might think about having yourself committed!)

I have had issues with SWR and proximity to metal objects. Many years ago, I put an AR10 Ringo Ranger onto a mast that was side-mounted on a 9 foot iron roof vent pipe 9 (apartment building). The only thing that lowered the SWR was getting all of the antenna above the top of the pipe. I figured that the cab presented enough metal to the antenna to cause a similar problem, but apparently from many of the responses - it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm still deciding on the antenna type to try first. The Firestik seems like a good compromise size-wise, but it's not broadbanded enough to cover 10 and 11. The super coily antennas just are too ugly for me to put on my truck - but they do seem like the sweet spot for broadbandedness and length.

The other half definitely knew I was crazy from day one, but the depth of my pathology seems to increase over the years.

JD

All the antennas you mentioned have maximum radiation right near the base. The picture shows the max radiation point right next to the cab.

The azimuthal pattern will likely not be omnidirectional and it's likely a significant amount of power will be wasted. All this can be happening even with a low vswr. Low vswr is not a performance indicator.

It would probably be a good test to find a parking lot and switch back and fourth between the old NMO stick and the new stuff. Remove the antenna not in use so as not to let it infulence the test.

A slow 360 turn in the lot while checking someone in the distance could be telling. Just don't tell them exactly what you are testing. Use condition one, condition two....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.