• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-950

North Texas Mudduck

Apr 5, 2005
just picked this radio up at the Hamfest in Midland texas today
hooked it up
i receive everything

transmits from 3.500.00 to 3.999.90 and on up to 21.450.00 then nothing will transmit until i
come back to 28.000.00
it only transmits from 28.000.00 up to 29.699.90
then only transmits from 50.000.00 to 54.000.00

What do i need to do to open this up

if it dont transmit it has a red flashing TX light

So it does not transmit on 160m or 12m but does on all the rest? If that is the case then I would say there is nothing to "open up" but rather that the radio has problems that need to be resolved.

This is the frist step:
WRITE DOWN ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS IN THE MENU SYSTEM ON PAPER because all of these settings will be lost after 'CPU Reset'

are these settings from factory or is this from user input

User input settings... Memories, filter widths, power level crap like that. Don't worry about that stuff. Just convert, reset then customize your settings later.

If you've never soldered jumper pads like that you can use a small 15-30 watt fine tip iron. I usually apply a little flux, heat both pads alternately, apply solder to one pad and spread it across with a toothpick. That's usually easiest for a newbie. Just don't scorch the board.

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=3950

BTW, you do this at your own risk.

Some of the mods includes info on accessing the menu to increase power output. I would advise against it.

A friend had a buddy of his buy a brand new 950 around a year ago. He modified it for him. The guy took it home and hooked it up to an old shitty solid state amp. He was getting down for a little bit that evening until it took a dump. Has no output.

Last I heard it was still unfixed.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.