• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 959- clipping the limiter and spreading the copper coils

hakles

Jun 12, 2011
GALAXY 959- clipping the limiter and spreading the copper coils

Hi all
I have galaxy 959 with 1969 final in it. This thing has been peaked and tuned but i see what the SB shop did to it.
They clipped the limiter by removing d63 and spreading the little copper coils.
So now I just wonna know, if ,clipping the limiter and spreading the little copper coils on galaxy 959 the way they did is any good or not.
Please let me know
Thanks all

Nope.

Definite replace/fix the limiter.

As far as the coils go I have heard many myths. Some say dont do it some say do. Some say if there is a core inside coil just remove that. Some say it dont do anything. So i dunno what to you should do about that.

Good Luck!

I have galaxy 959 with 1969 final in it. This thing has been peaked and tuned but i see what the SB shop did to it.
They clipped the limiter by removing d63 and spreading the little copper coils.
So now I just wonna know, if ,clipping the limiter and spreading the little copper coils on galaxy 959 the way they did is any good or not.
Please let me know
Thanks all
Butcher mod. Only dumbass could do that. Never visit them again.
Mike

Butcher mod. Only dumbass could do that. Never visit them again.
Mike
completely agree!!!! definately replace limiter. the coils ive also heard dont touch do
touch so i cant honestly say.but me i dont mess with mine. again this is just me
maybe im right maybe not. but replace limiter

I guess the "Purists" are out in force again. A Galaxy 959 with a clipped limiter will sound fine as long as the dead key is not set too high or low.
Spreading the TVI coils is always a bad idea.
I remember the days of buying a Cobra 148 GTL clipping the limiter and having the best sounding mobile around. Back in the 70s and 80s you bought a radio clipped the limiter and set the key to 3 watts.......DONE. Now CBers are so anal retentive...at least the ones on internet forums appear to be.
I have been a Cber for 32 years and have always had one of the loudest and best sounding radios in the area......clipped limiter and all.
Of course some export radios sound horrible with clipped limiters, but some sound great.
I know I will get hate mail for this but people ask questions for knowledge and they need to hear both sides.....it's CB radio for crying out loud.

I guess the "Purists" are out in force again. A Galaxy 959 with a clipped limiter will sound fine as long as the dead key is not set too high or low.
Spreading the TVI coils is always a bad idea.
I remember the days of buying a Cobra 148 GTL clipping the limiter and having the best sounding mobile around. Back in the 70s and 80s you bought a radio clipped the limiter and set the key to 3 watts.......DONE. Now CBers are so anal retentive...at least the ones on internet forums appear to be.
I have been a Cber for 32 years and have always had one of the loudest and best sounding radios in the area......clipped limiter and all.
Of course some export radios sound horrible with clipped limiters, but some sound great.
I know I will get hate mail for this but people ask questions for knowledge and they need to hear both sides.....it's CB radio for crying out loud.
Don't think its fair to call it 'anal retentive'. But I can understand where you are coming from. Things are changing from that day. Technology is even creeping into CB's too. Things never seem to stand still; do they?

What I wrote about spreading the 54mhz coils and the modulation limiter were true. CBers need to know what it is that these so-called 'mods' do. Don't they? Can you think of any better place to discover, learn, and discuss these things? Sure, being a Ham had something to do with what I wrote. If this is what you are referring to - anyway. Doesn't make what was said any less true.

CB's and CBers can have it better. What once was considered 'the way to do it' has been been explored and de-bunked. I'm not the first to say it either. After all; I am a Ham and a CBer. I can see how the Ham is more than a little upset about those who run stations with linears that are putting out crap signals because their 'modified' radios are starting the 'crap cycle'. Making interference where none rally needs to be - if one understands what can be done. But I can see it from the CBer side as well; we want to make a bodacious signal that can really cut through and sound distinct too.

Clipping the AM modulation limiter is equivalent to turning the modulation pot all of the way open. How much is enough? 110%? 130%? What happens after 100% modulation is distortion. You cannot have more than 100% of anything; as this is the nature of percentage. So what is the addition number point to? Distortion. Now; how much distortion would you like to have when you transmit? 10%? 30%? More? I think not. You might get away with 10 to 20% before it gets to sound nasty; but nasty isn't what our goal is. Is it? So; running modulation too high above 100% may sound OK; or it might be just over the top too.

Better still, is to run compression in the mic audio circuit. This solves many of needs of high quality modulation and can still keep it at 100% modulation. This isn't so much a compromise as it is the means to accomplish the same thing by another means. It makes any mic more sensitive as well as boosting the output of the signal. There is always going to be a certain amount of distortion in any radio mic circuit; we really don't need to add more. It is inherent to transistors that are noisy and are being improperly driven in that circuit.

Going the distance to use a quality mic is also being realized day-by-day to the average CBer. The day of the nasty-sounding mics may well be a thing of the past - too.

Clip that AM limiter - and prove that nothing has changed in the mean time . . .

Don't think its fair to call it 'anal retentive'. But I can understand where you are coming from. Things are changing from that day. Technology is even creeping into CB's too. Things never seem to stand still; do they?

What I wrote about spreading the 54mhz coils and the modulation limiter were true. CBers need to know what it is that these so-called 'mods' do. Don't they? Can you think of any better place to discover, learn, and discuss these things? Sure, being a Ham had something to do with what I wrote. If this is what you are referring to - anyway. Doesn't make what was said any less true.

CB's and CBers can have it better. What once was considered 'the way to do it' has been been explored and de-bunked. I'm not the first to say it either. After all; I am a Ham and a CBer. I can see how the Ham is more than a little upset about those who run stations with linears that are putting out crap signals because their 'modified' radios are starting the 'crap cycle'. Making interference where none rally needs to be - if one understands what can be done. But I can see it from the CBer side as well; we want to make a bodacious signal that can really cut through and sound distinct too.

Clipping the AM modulation limiter is equivalent to turning the modulation pot all of the way open. How much is enough? 110%? 130%? What happens after 100% modulation is distortion. You cannot have more than 100% of anything; as this is the nature of percentage. So what is the addition number point to? Distortion. Now; how much distortion would you like to have when you transmit? 10%? 30%? More? I think not. You might get away with 10 to 20% before it gets to sound nasty; but nasty isn't what our goal is. Is it? So; running modulation too high above 100% may sound OK; or it might be just over the top too.

Better still, is to run compression in the mic audio circuit. This solves many of needs of high quality modulation and can still keep it at 100% modulation. This isn't so much a compromise as it is the means to accomplish the same thing by another means. It makes any mic more sensitive as well as boosting the output of the signal. There is always going to be a certain amount of distortion in any radio mic circuit; we really don't need to add more. It is inherent to transistors that are noisy and are being improperly driven in that circuit.

Going the distance to use a quality mic is also being realized day-by-day to the average CBer. The day of the nasty-sounding mics may well be a thing of the past - too.

Clip that AM limiter - and prove that nothing has changed in the mean time . . .

My opinion on tuneups.........If someone doesn't know exactly what they are turning or cutting then find someone who does.
I remember back in the late 1980s there was a base operator asking for a radio check....he would turn something and then ask the listener if it made a difference. If no difference then he would put the coil or pot back to where it was......then go on to the next pot and repeat the process until something changed. By the time he was done the radio would key 1 watt on channel 40 and 4 watts on 1. Of course back then there was no internet, just Sam's photofacts, but you had to buy one for your particular radio. The Sam's books were really not for greenhorns.
It was pretty funny when a local "tech" aligned radios using a freq counter that turned out to be way off......found that out the hard way!

all clipping the limiter/disabling amc vr pot does is allow the
radio to modulate past 100%. if using a n/c mic and mic gain adjusted
right it cvan be ok. but you will splatter many channels.on ssb
usually this is how you get that warrbly sound.and while it looks good
on a dosy/pdc meter put it on a oscope lets see just how clean that signal is
im really interested in that. maxing out the amc vr usually dont make the
radio overmodulate .thats the limiters job if intact.these are my findings
over the last 19- 20 yrs .

in the old days there were radio technicians and there were radio golden screwdriver owners. The screwdriver guys would get lucky once in a while but not all the time then it was time to take the radio to a real radio tech who would chew out the screwdriver guy for messing with the radio, get it correct and charge a fee. Then you know the golden screwdriver guy just had to mess with it again. It was a round and round deal but in the end a good radio tech was a good friend to have no doubt no matter how much he charged. I had a great radio tech who could make all my Johnson sideband radios blow smoke and got channels in the 4740 along with sliding the clairfier, a real tough job in those days. Wish he was still around today

all clipping the limiter/disabling amc vr pot does is allow the
radio to modulate past 100%. if using a n/c mic and mic gain adjusted
right it cvan be ok. but you will splatter many channels.on ssb
usually this is how you get that warrbly sound.and while it looks good
on a dosy/pdc meter put it on a oscope lets see just how clean that signal is
im really interested in that. maxing out the amc vr usually dont make the
radio overmodulate .thats the limiters job if intact.these are my findings
over the last 19- 20 yrs .

Bleeding over a few channels is bad? All good loud radios will bleedover and if I had a radio that didn't bleedover it would be thrown in a dumpster.
Never heard a warbly sounding ssb radio before.....I don't even know what that means.
On a Cobra 148 GTL you cut R131 to disable the AM limiter and you abjust VR11 to adjust the ssb output. Removing TR24 will disable the AM and SSB limiter which you don't want to do because SSB radios sound better when they are loafing. I could care less what it looks like on a scope because if it sounds bad someone will tell me.
The only time one of my radio sounded like crap was when I tried to run a power mic.
I am not one to micromanage my CB radio signal......if it sounds impressive, good enough.
One of the locals has a tube type Browning Eagle radio and his audio is beautiful and loud......he scatters MANY channels.
I have heard many a crappy sounding radio out there but 90% of the time the mic is the problem.....or the echo/reverb. I will have to put my mobile on youtube when I get a chance and post the link.
Different strokes for different folks....some like audio that is meek....some like it blaring loud like me. There isn't much happening around me on the radio anymore so my concern for bleedover is just not happening. If I am interfering with another Cber, I will just cut the mic gain way back on go on.....as long as they are nice when telling me.

in the old days there were radio technicians and there were radio golden screwdriver owners. The screwdriver guys would get lucky once in a while but not all the time then it was time to take the radio to a real radio tech who would chew out the screwdriver guy for messing with the radio, get it correct and charge a fee. Then you know the golden screwdriver guy just had to mess with it again. It was a round and round deal but in the end a good radio tech was a good friend to have no doubt no matter how much he charged. I had a great radio tech who could make all my Johnson sideband radios blow smoke and got channels in the 4740 along with sliding the clairfier, a real tough job in those days. Wish he was still around today

Those Johnson radios were great back in the day!

Thats very nice of you Psycho to turn down your mic gain a little if someone complains as long as they are nice about it. Guess your not in an area where truckers running 500+ watts are traveling within a mile of your station, during the 7am to 8pm area here forget about using anything on 11 meters, then the regulars come on SSB and we can have a QSO for awhile after the 8 to 9pm and later range. In reality if the clipper circuit is still in tact and your running power it won't bleed much at all it's those blasting modulation guys that cause most of the problems here. On SSB our goal really is for clean medium volume modulation it's an entirely different story on AM no doubt but it's CB radio and we have to deal with all kinds, it's nice to have people speak English which is about half the time here also. I need to get a CD that teaches spanish so I can understand these asses during the day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.