• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 959- clipping the limiter and spreading the copper coils

Thats very nice of you Psycho to turn down your mic gain a little if someone complains as long as they are nice about it. Guess your not in an area where truckers running 500+ watts are traveling within a mile of your station, during the 7am to 8pm area here forget about using anything on 11 meters, then the regulars come on SSB and we can have a QSO for awhile after the 8 to 9pm and later range. In reality if the clipper circuit is still in tact and your running power it won't bleed much at all it's those blasting modulation guys that cause most of the problems here. On SSB our goal really is for clean medium volume modulation it's an entirely different story on AM no doubt but it's CB radio and we have to deal with all kinds, it's nice to have people speak English which is about half the time here also. I need to get a CD that teaches spanish so I can understand these asses during the day.

I live within 10 miles of an interstate and just about all truckers run line of sight radios. It is real hard to get a radio/amp to work good in a Semi. I-75 is sometimes pretty active around the exits with truck stops but other than that nothing.
I remember a couple of years ago a trucker was bragging about his Texas Star 500 but his radio sounded as flat as a pancake. Couple of months prior, I helped a friend setup a Gray 150 and a Grant XL in his extended cab 96 F150........he pulled up to within 1/10 of a mile from him and cut his lips off! Truckers aren't a problem mostly because they just don't have much and most rarely even use the radio anymore.
Since the housing crash I don't hear hispanic dump truck drivers anymore and when Mexican skip is in I turn the radio off.

GALAXY 959- clipping the limiter and spreading the copper coils

Hi all
I have galaxy 959 with 1969 final in it. This thing has been peaked and tuned but i see what the SB shop did to it.
They clipped the limiter by removing d63 and spreading the little copper coils.
So now I just wonna know, if ,clipping the limiter and spreading the little copper coils on galaxy 959 the way they did is any good or not.
Please let me know
Thanks all

TOTALLY WRONG!! NEVER and I repeat.. NEVER clip the limiter! also, spreading colis.. same deal. You got ripped!

Your radio can be peaked out easily by turning the trimmers and set up right. Galaxy made these radios to be easily peaked without butchery!

All you will get is complaints you are overmodulated, and you will bleed over extensively. (A good quality radio tuned properly, will NOT bleed over, contrary to what one reply said)

Th modulation limiter is there for a reason. My DX949 is set up properly (by myself) which involves no hack jobs, does not bleed over, and has great modulation.

Bring it back and have the hack job reversed! Of course, asking for a fullrefund!
Most important, it has excellent, clear sound reproduction.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1