• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99v2

Another point: They are now saying that the new 99 is using the same board as the 94 & 98 .... but it can't be exactly the same. FM has been added to the 99 yet the 94 & 98 don't have it.

Still would have liked 6 digits on the counter though.

hams got away without any-digit frequency counters for almost 70 years, cbers have had 'em for just over 30. & i STILL don't get what they need them for....'am i on freq to you'...'you're off about 38 hz dude'....'can't be, had this radio to yaesu in '95, they said it was good'...'nah man, gotta be you, everybody says i'm dead on'.....dead on WHAT???? & that's from guys not even using channelized radios, forget about THOSE guys. all it takes is guys like me whose ears prefer to hear audio just a hair to the high side, even IF everybody's radio was EXACTLY the same-mathematically & physically impossible-it would STILL throw everybody off.
how 'bout galaxy leave out the freq counter & build a BRAND NEW design radio that is.....good.

Reactions: 2 people
Another point: They are now saying that the new 99 is using the same board as the 94 & 98 .... but it can't be exactly the same. FM has been added to the 99 yet the 94 & 98 don't have it.

Lol,

I ordered one of these yesterday. It's supposed to be here Monday. I hope they didn't find some 30 year NOS boards to put in it, like the pseudo Jackson.

Reactions: 1 person
I just bought a 99V2 for the wife's mini van from Bob'e Cb. (y)

You are one SMART PERSON. You bought the radio from a good shop that does great tech work. So when your walking the dog and dragging the pups everyone else that bought one from Crapper Electronics will still be asking," so how do you convert this thing now?".

I wanted to give Bob some business, but his website is not mobile format friendly, so, he snoozed out. I ordered mine bone stock from an eBay seller.

I wanted to give Bob some business, but his website is not mobile format friendly, so, he snoozed out. I ordered mine bone stock from an eBay seller.

I called and spoke with them as I stay away from just website purchases when I can ... they were very friendly and helpful to the questions I asked prior to placing the order.

I agree with you on their website ...

Popped the top this morning and moved the jumper wire. Plugged it in and confirmed the channel conversion. Low power is 1.5 watts DK with 8 watts PEP. High power is 11 watts DK and 24 watts PEP. Little doggy with stock output. My meter is a Daiwa 801HP3.

Audio reports from 2 locals were positive with stock mic. Soon as I get motivated, I'm gonna wire up a Superstar pistol grip mic for it. This might take a few days...

SSB stability seems to be very stable. It seemed stable from powering on and during a 20 minute QSO with an old ham buddy of my dad. I watched the counter for another 30 minutes or so, no drift noted even after central air kicked on.

I like it so far. The stock output and AMC levels are good enough for me. I'll likely have a buddy of mine check alignment for me since he has all the gear. Do I think it's worth the $317.89 I paid? No, but it's only money.

In keeping with my tradition of always finding something to bitch about... The meter face, has a small blob of epoxy or something similar stuck right in the middle. Yes, it bugs me. I'll see if Galaxy will just send a new meter.

I'm very happy with SSB stability.

how is the clarifier set up, course is open and fine is locked or both locked?? hows the receive?

Last edited:
Course is open, fine is locked. Haven't had any opportunity to compare the receiver yet, but so far, it's quiet and appears to be sensitive enough.

The course clarifier does not have a detent, which is good.

Last edited:
Popped the top this morning and moved the jumper wire. Plugged it in and confirmed the channel conversion. Low power is 1.5 watts DK with 8 watts PEP. High power is 11 watts DK and 24 watts PEP. Little doggy with stock output. My meter is a Daiwa 801HP3.

Audio reports from 2 locals were positive with stock mic. Soon as I get motivated, I'm gonna wire up a Superstar pistol grip mic for it. This might take a few days...

SSB stability seems to be very stable. It seemed stable from powering on and during a 20 minute QSO with an old ham buddy of my dad. I watched the counter for another 30 minutes or so, no drift noted even after central air kicked on.

I like it so far. The stock output and AMC levels are good enough for me. I'll likely have a buddy of mine check alignment for me since he has all the gear. Do I think it's worth the $317.89 I paid? No, but it's only money.

In keeping with my tradition of always finding something to bitch about... The meter face, has a small blob of epoxy or something similar stuck right in the middle. Yes, it bugs me. I'll see if Galaxy will just send a new meter.

I'm very happy with SSB stability.

Sounds pretty good, and after your friend does a simple tune and check the alignment it will wake up a little. I saw your post on the clarifier, very good, the best of both worlds.

Sounds like I bought my wife a good radio.
Maybe I'll get out of the dog house after all (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.