• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got the Uniden 980 today!

Got my 980 today. Hooked it up to the Gainmaster and spun the "beepy" dial. Good lord! That beep has gotta go! Made a few SSB DX contacts and one local AM. Got good reports with the stock mic. SSB transmit frequency is pretty much on the money.

I hooked up the dummy load thinking I'd need to peak it up a smidge. Stock output and AM mod and SSB ALC were good enough for me. I just left it be. I'll do the beep fix one of these days. Only thing I noticed in the house was that the Gainmaster is REALLY deaf on the weather bands compared to the Antron and IMAX. I normally have strong signals with 2 weather channels.

I moved the rig to my KIA and was very pleased with the receive section so far. Nice and quiet. I like this little unit. Eventually, I'll order another one for the house. Probably pick up a wireless mic soon.

Darn shame no frequency expansion as of yet.

Mine is sitting in the corner of my radio room waiting for a channel expansion. Nice radio......but needs to be able to motivate north of channel 40.

Anxiously awaiting....

Can't wait to hear more about this radio, It seems to be a great out of the box stock radio. Well maby a little modulation adjustment and if its not to hard to get rid of the Beep. Who has them the cheapest I see them for 143.65 free ship. so far. they should have a box deal for the radio and wireless mic combo package soon.

It really is a good radio if you are into CB, the only downside is that it locked up tighter than Ft. Knox, at least for now. I always had good reports on mine although I am not the biggest CB user.

Can't wait to hear more about this radio, It seems to be a great out of the box stock radio. Well maby a little modulation adjustment and if its not to hard to get rid of the Beep. Who has them the cheapest I see them for 143.65 free ship. so far. they should have a box deal for the radio and wireless mic combo package soon.
Its not hard to get rid of the beep as long as u got good eyes or somethin to help magnify.

Ive done alot of research on this radio, not my cup of tea. For a little bit more money, could of got a better radio, power, features & mod's. Kinda looks like a car stereo, lol.

I think the radio sort of fills the gap, A SSB radio that is stable and sounds good. Great for local talking. the Olny other radios close is the 148 and the Galaxy radios but don't they drift. anybody tried The DX949 or DX979

I have a 979 in my pickup, it is a decent radio. The recieve is not as quiet as the cobra 25 I had in there before. I also get a little engine noise feed back from the external speaker, I think it may be coming from the talkback. It gets good audio reports, but it's off frequency some on sideband. I have too keep the clarifier at "10 O'clock" to tune people in. You do chase frequency for a few minutes until its warmed up. I need to get it tuned and aligned. I would have bought it that way, but my wife bought it for me for Christmas. All in all I like the radio. The talkback and variable power give it a 1 up on the 980 for me, the 980 has a few options that make it nice too. (Ch scan and memory, ect.)

Wireless mic is interesting - not a power mic so not really outstanding audio even with the gain turned all the way up.

That said audio is clear and range is great. Not sure it'll sell for what it was intended for (mobile use) but as a base radio accessory it does the trick.

If it had an earphone jack it'd be perfect.

Hey M42Duster tell us more about the radio, Receive, transmit audio ease of use mobil, display issues while mobil,speaker quality on receive and anything else you wish to share Likes and dislikes too.
Thanks...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was really liking it. I guess I still do, but not in my mobile.

The display is easily washed out during daylight hours. The NB, which at first, I thought was good, actually sucks. I'm getting ignition noise in on SSB, but on AM it pretty much takes it all out.

My local buddies state the stock mic has decent audio, not the greatest, but decent. The receive section is nice and not as noisy like the CRE and Anytone. To bad the NB circuit is so weak.

I dug my old PC122XL out of storage and plan on replacing the 980 with it. I'll eventually send the 980 packing.

Yanked it outta the mobile today, did the beep mod and adjusted the DK for my amp and bumped the AMC just a tad. It is now relegated for shack use.

Happy so far...

I had the Cobra 29 LX and in the mobil no matter what color and contrast or brightness I used I wasnt happy. I have it in the house now also.I was thinking of selling and getting The 980 for in the house. Was also looking at the Galaxy DX959 and DX979 almost the same price SSB variable power etc wonder how bad the drift would be in the house when its warmed up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.