• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help on next CB-10 Meter Radio purchase

Brush Buster

Feb 18, 2009
Northern Minnesota
I currently use a Cobra 29 LTD Classic hooked to dual Firestick antennas. It works alright but I want something with a little more distance and power.

The models in my price range I have been looking at are

NorthStar 650BFM 10 Meter Radio (Recommended by Al at Sparky's)
Connex 3300 HP
General Lee

Next on the list is a good after market microphone. I was looking at the New

Stryker Noise Canceling Microphone or the Turner Road King

I'm thinking of running a single antenna on my semi. What have you had the best results with? Thinking of something like the Wilson 2000 or the K TR 40.

I also will be installing new coax cable. The dual coax cables in the unit now are probably factory and old.

I'm new to this and want a clean and clear sounding system. As someone posted; CB stands for constantly buying :D

Thanks
Bob...

do you think youll actually use the sideband channels or the extra 10 meter channels ? neither of those radios will do much more than a 29 will do range wise . has your 29 been tuned and aligned buy a good tech ? going to a single antenna will help . a wilson trucker or dual coil 10k are supposed to be great performers on semis . just make sure the shaft of the antenna is long enough to get the coil above the roof line of the truck . a 2pill (2x2879) amp will be the biggest bang for the buck amp wise and wont tax the trucks electrical system .

I think Booty Monster has good advice. If you're just looking at going to an export to get more power out of it, there are better/cheaper ways to accomplish that. Are you relatively happy with the Cobra 29, or are there other reasons that you want the export?

i agree with bootymonster, the 29 is a great radio when properly setup, i run one in my semi with a gator stick 8 coil on 10 inch shaft, i am also firing a small 2 pill and a 10 pill when i want to run DX or OWN CH19

i would buy a connex 43 hp and add power mic .I have two of them and very well pleases .I also got a stryker440hp and very please with it also. but i love my connex 43(y)

ya id keep the 29 unless ya want to play with ssb.if not id keep the
29.get either a 10kdual coilsw or a wilson 2000sw.if ya go to a single antenna
youll need a single run of 18 ft. of coax.id get the skythumper mic .and a
texas star 250hdv this will make a nice setup and no mods to your electrical
system required

For more power: buy something more than a General Lee (only one worth it from your list IMO), the few extra RMS watts arent worth it. Go with the Stryker 490 or Connex 4600 Turbo if you really want to notice the difference. Other than that, get the Cobra 29 tuned right, they are still one of the best talkers, tried and true. The Stryker is roughly $320, that $320 will get you a real nice amp for the Cobra 29. anything up to a 2sc2290/2 x 2sc2879 pretty much

Predator 10k dual coil short whip for single antenna

I like the 29 but would like a little more range. I think a new antenna and new coax would be a big improvement. Today I was picking up conversation in the 4 mile range. My dual antennas (3 foot truck stop specials) are shorter than the van trailer I pull and I'm sure that has a big directional affect.

I'm new to the CB world and have been doing a lot of reading, I don't understand what 2 pill & 4 pill mean. I think I read somewhere that if you add an amp you need to change something in the CB first.

The CB has not been tuned. I'm sure that would help as well. I have read that the manufactures tune them at about 80% to stay within government guidelines. I will have to ask if there is someone in the Duluth-Superior area who is good at tuning CB'S.

I think the Cobra 29 is a good base to build on. Would a power microphone help and which ones give the best results? I know everyone has their favorite equipment but which amp works well with the setup I have..

Thanks
Bob...

If you are happy with your 29 keep it get it tuned for an amp. Get a predator 10k good coax (don't worry about the length as long as it will reach your antenna thats all you need). A good power mic is the astatic d104 hand held. I would start out with the antenna coax and power mic see how that works then you can get setup for an amp if that is what you want to do. From the way you state your setup now your antennas and coax seem to be your biggest problem. I drive a 2007 pete and have seen the factory coax and
I wouldn't run that to listen to Howard Stern.lol any way I hope this helpsjust ask if you have any more questions

Brush Buster,
Up to some ridiculous point, if you can't hear'em, it doesn't matter how much power you're using, you still ain't gonna hear'em. So what's the point, you know?
I think the single biggest improvement you could make is to change antennas. There are a huge number of them around, almost any 'style' you'd want. A very rough rule of thumb is that the longer the better. That 'longer is better' thingy isn't exactly as simple as it might seem since they are a lot harder to find a good mounting place for. Especially on something as 'tall' as a semi. Finding a 'happy medium' is good. It still has to fit under bridges.
A single antenna is as good as multiple antennas, if not 'better' in most cases. The only benefit to multiple antennas is that they become directional. Which really isn't 'bad', -if- you can control the direction they put a signal, just not too likely.
Then there's the $$$ part of it. Big prices doesn't mean big performance. That part is up to you. Does a $6 gallon of diesel get you any further than a 15 cent gallon of diesel? (Hmm, not exactly the best comparison in the world, huh? Oh well.)
I'm doing my best not to recommend any particular antenna. There's more 'opinion' than fact about all of them, and there's not a huge amount of difference in any of them of the same basic style/size. It boils down to what's the most practical for you. Want some of that 'brag factor'? Knock your self out! Or just lie about it...
- 'Doc

Where is the best place to purchase the 10K and astatic mic?
personally i wouldnt use or recommend a power mic for any
big rig.but if your sold on getting one then look at the rflimited xtreame
it has noice cancelling capabilites.plus turbo echeo.just about everyone has this mic
clays cb has the 10k and probaly the mike aswell

Thanks for your help and ideas. I ordered the following items
NORTHSTAR 650 BFM 10 meter
k40 Antenna
K40 Coax 18'
New heavy duty antenna bracket which I will ground
Astatic microphone

I hope I made the right decision. I will know next week. I forgot to order a SWR power meter to tune the antenna. How touchy are antennas to tune? How do you tune a whip antenna with a SWR meter?

After I receive and install the new unit I will send my Cobra 29 in to Sparkys to be tuned. I will install the Cobra in my Ram 2500 pickup. I will have to make another post and ask for info on mounting ideas (where others have mounted their CB'S). I have no idea how the new magnetic antennas work (Wilson's) or other antenna mounting ideas for my pickup.

Thanks
Bob...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.