• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help squeal in my talkback

trailrider

Jul 22, 2012
the radio... uniden pc 78. had the final changed talkback added had super mod installed. good sounding strong radio. now this work was done using the stock uniden mic. this morning the stock mic died. so i stopped at a truck stop and bought a cobra ca73 dynamic mic to work untill i got home tonight. the problem is with the cobra mic is that i have to turn the mic gain way down or i get a squeal in my talkback. obvoiously this mic is not going to work with this radio. since i'm going to have to either get my uniden mic repaired or buy a new mic' what are some suggestions??? I thought about buying a workman dm 452' but i don't know if the power mic will work with the super mod in the radio.

Oh come on really??? Your talkback is too loud. that's why new radio's have a variable or volume control on the talkback.

You have two options. 1) run a road king 56 mic. 2) have the talkback modded to quiet it down. There, that's it.

What shop did your work? You might try running an external speaker and mount it way far away from you when you talk.

that is the reason i put a switch in line with the resistor on talkback so as to be able to shut it off. get a rk 56, or turn mike gain down some. putting a power mike on will just make squeal worse. 73s midnight special

Oh come on really??? Your talkback is too loud. that's why new radio's have a variable or volume control on the talkback.

You have two options. 1) run a road king 56 mic. 2) have the talkback modded to quiet it down. There, that's it.

What shop did your work? You might try running an external speaker and mount it way far away from you when you talk.

no the talkback is not too loud. the problem is since i put a different mic on the radio i'm now getting feedback or squeal in my talkback. unless i turn the mic gain way down from where it used to be set. for some reason this mic dosen't seem to agree with this radio. as to who did the work?? after 33 years of trucking and so many radios' i've lost count of when i bought the radios and who worked on them or where in the country it was done.

I have allmode talk-back on my Magnum S45HP It will squeal with certain mics and if the volume is to high or to close, I say in order to have talk back you need a on-off switch first and volume control second,

The road king RK-56 aint cheap but you have to talk directly into it but you won't pick up any other noise at all. And then no squeal. My reports are (That mic is verry verry clear ) nobody hears the back round noise unless my dog barks, But the TV and other people in the room are not herd. You may also like the Ranger SRA-198 cheaper and they are great mikes ( also now shipping with the General Lee ) A friend has one and he listens to country music in his radio shack some times loud and you can olny hear it faintly in the backround sometimes if he is adjusting something and not talking. Another nice MIc. SRA-198

Seriously .. Just turn the talk back off, or disable it.
I have heard this complaint a 1000 times and for the life of me I do not understand why someone wants to listen to themselves on the radio.
You can set the Echo and when you have it set, just turn it off.
Problem solved.

Jeff

Reactions: Grizz420 and n0zna
the radio... uniden pc 78. had the final changed talkback added had super mod installed. good sounding strong radio. now this work was done using the stock uniden mic. this morning the stock mic died. so i stopped at a truck stop and bought a cobra ca73 dynamic mic to work untill i got home tonight. the problem is with the cobra mic is that i have to turn the mic gain way down or i get a squeal in my talkback. obvoiously this mic is not going to work with this radio. since i'm going to have to either get my uniden mic repaired or buy a new mic' what are some suggestions??? I thought about buying a workman dm 452' but i don't know if the power mic will work with the super mod in the radio.
I dont know why anyone would want talkback...just a waist of a good swith or knob...same with roger beeps...

thanks for the replys. now for those you don't seem to understand why i had talkback put in it's simple. i know when i'm transmitting. even if my meter quits i can still here myself' so i know i am. I don't intend to be one of those people going break 19 for a radio check. and in this case it was the talkback feature that let me know that this mic is not working the same as the mic that was on this radio before it quit working. and echo??? good gracious' if mother nature had wanted us to have echo' she would have issued it to us at birth. ya;ll have a great sunday.

I guess I am going to put talkback in all my radios too......just in case the meter on the front of the radio and my wattmeter both fail.

To each their own. If you like your talkback, then by all means go for it. Many people don't like echo either, but there are plenty that do. Just do what makes you happy.
But some mics are more prone to feedback than others. Cobra mics aren't known to be of the highest quality. Personally, I am not a fan of power mics. I do like certain omnidirectional mics but they are of high quality, but they are a bit more expensive. But there is no substitute for a good noise canceling mic. I have several Astatic 636Ls and I think they sound great for around $30-$40. I have a Turner RK 56 that also sounds great and will even make you a little punchier than the 636L. It has some cord issues though and can run anywhere between $40-$60. Unfortunately the squeal is feedback being picked up by your mic. The only way to get rid of it has already been stated. Buy a better mic, turn down the talkback, disable the talkback, or mount an external speaker away from the mic.

No talkback!! But if I hold the yellow wire or place to fingers on c155 it works loud and clear, what's the deal with that? Thanks for any help

Where to start with this???? So is the 2SC1969+NPC mod and strapped/volted final? LOL.....Get your pet rock out of the attic and your bell bottoms too! LOL

The only way it could get any worse is to install a fet in the final and then do the NPC mod! LOL

To add insult to injury you have added talk back to this monster of funhouse modifications!

Man, I can guaranty your radio is a splatter box POS! Your modulation is dirtier than the bathrooms at a Greyhound Bus Station in a major city!

99% of the talkback mods by themselves cause issues. That is why radio's that come from the OEM with talkback normally have their own separate audio chain just for talkback today on modern radio's that is separate from the rx/tx audio chain. Put the right final back in it. Undo the talkback. You would have to really have to be full of your self and love the sound of your own voice to pay good money to add such a worthless mod to a radio!

Since this is an AM only radio if you have a really good tech do the super swing and the modulation is staying bellow 120% and the knucklehead added a beefed up 54Mhz trap filtering you can keep that I guess. If the filtering is good though you and your Tech and I use that term loosely will be disappointed since you will not have a lot of fake meter swinging harmonics anymore. Play with cap values in the audio chain to get the bottom and top end improved just a little bit. Add a SL41 mic and a 1,2,3 transistor amp.

What you have right now is not a radio it is just a noise toys.

If it killed the stock mic it sounds like power is being shunted up to the dynamic element which will either lock it up giving you fairly low performance and modulation or it will just kill the mic element.

What type of stupid mod gives you a radio that has to have the mic gain turned down to nothing practically!!! There is not a single radio out of the box that will behave that way all of them can be used with the mic gain full tilt. Even if you put power mic on it with the mic gain turned up it will still work properly. It is only when people butcher them that you end up with this sort of idiotic performance. It is as stupid as a car that you could only use 1/4 throttle or 1/4 of the brake travel without the car malfunctioning!

I am not a fan of NPC/Super Swing. That said if you keep the carrier suppressed and filter out all the garbage before it gets out of the radio it can be ok on an AM only radio.

Reactions: dozerman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.