• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here you go guys!

The 142, 148, and 2000 are all very stable in SSB mode for CB radios. Not a small deal, as many radios cannot make that claim. The 148 and 2000 schematics are - for practical purposes - nearly the same radio with nearly the same operating specs. The receive in the 148 and 2000 are dual stage receivers, while the 142 is a single stage receiver.

The Madison radio came with different chassis over its production run, as the early chassis used the 858 pll IC chip instead of the 8719 pll found in the later radios. Madison was more of a box style/packaging for the chassis, while the 2000 has always been mfd with the 8719 pll chassis, The Pres Washington was also in the same category as well, as its history was also made with either the 858 or 8719 chassis . . .
I thought some versions of the 2000 GTL did not come with the mb8719 PLL.

Edit: I had to add PLL at the end of MB8719..

Last edited:
I should have been more clear and said MD 8719 PLL.

The Cobra 2000 GTL is considered by many as the Cadillac of the CB radios. It was first manufactured in Taiwan in 1978, then in The Philippines until 1994. It is unique in a number of ways. The radio has a built in frequency counter and clock. The radio can be set by the clock to turn on at the desired time along with an alarm if desired.
The chassis is an MB 8719, but uses an MB 8734 Phase Lock Loop (PLL) to limit any frequency expansion. The MB 8719 and MB 8734 are interchangeable except pin 10 must not be grounded on the MB 8734. The radio must use an external speaker; no internal speaker is provided.
Found at thislink. They say it has an MB8734 PLL?
I don't doubt you Robb, I have never seen a 2000 GTL before in my hands.
How accurate it the "cb doctor"?http://www.thecbdoctor.net/_mgxroot/page_10782.html
Thanks

-Sam

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.