• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hy gain clr-2

Hy-gain

Not a bad little antenna, I would not run any more than 300 watts threw it.Got a buddy that had one up,did a pretty decent job till he ran the low side of a jb 2000 threw it.Back up the tower I went to change antenna's.I probably just should have taken the 2000 away from him!! :D

Reactions: 1 person
I run a CLR-2 for the base and it works good @ 20'. I don't run power so can't speak to the handling capability and not sure how noisy it is compared with an Imax, but compared to my Ground mounted Hustler 4BTV the noise floor is similar. It is quite broad banded for SSB work. I run on 10/11m no tuner needed, however I do have to run a tuner when I work FM repeaters.

Using an ohm meter, check the coax connector, it should read close to zero ohms (direct short). If no reading, the matching disk is open and will not work properly and requires repair/fabrication. I have heard the Penatrator matching stub can be fabricated to work with the CLR-2 but haven't had the need to seek out instructions.

Good luck...

Reactions: 2 people
Not a good antenna if you run high power.. The radio shack versions were even worse as they used a printed board with the coil etched on it..

Add about 3 feet to the radiator and a penetrator500 match to the base instead of the coil and you got a penetrator500 with one less radial.

Questions about the CLR2 Manual

The CLR2 was my first base station antenna, but I never recorded its dimensions. I still have part of the base element, mounting bracket, and 2 insulators, but I've lost or cut some of the other tubing for this antenna. I've checked out the manual and I have some questions, mainly how long is this antenna overall from feed point to tip?

So, I'm curious if anyone can help me with good dimensions...so I can model this one?

All the "M" elements in the manual above M1 look to show both the overall length and exposed length. So, the exposed overall length can be figured out easily if I could figure out how long the base section M1 and the top hat elements are.

If anyone knows:
What is the length of the bottom section M1, the base element?
What is the overall length of this antenna from the feed point to the tip?
What is the actual radius length and diameter of the top hat wire elements?

Comment:
Check out the right-hand antenna image on page 2. Give us your opinion if that image and the words to describe how and where the antenna radiates from...makes sense to you? Or was this mirror image idea...just CBBS from those days, with HyGain trying to sell an idea that this antenna was collinear and something special? http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/hygain/model_473/graphics/hy-gain_473_clr-2.pdf

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.