• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I did it.....Heil Microphone part II

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Enough thinking, researching, studying, and procrastinating.....

I just ordered a Heil Goldline GM-5, with the full range broadcast element, and the HC-5 element, the CC-1-K4 cable, a foot switch, and a flange mount so I can mount my goose neck to the shelf and position the mic wherever I want it....

Got it all from Cheapham.com, so it shouldn't take long to get here...(assuming everything is in stock)....

I'll let you all know how it works out......

SR385.....
Chris, once I get it hooked up I'll look for you on 80 meters, for a full audio critique....;)

I have also done it but, did it awhile ago and glad I did. However I have added some other goodies. Here are some pics. This setup is hooked to my IC756PRO and my HR2600 via my EQplus
PR20.jpg

EQplus.jpg

you can keep those crappy heil mikes

I talk to a guy on 80 meters that doesn't like Heil mic's either, this guy is a real aduio head, runs an Apex mic through an EQ processor into his rig. He sounds fantastic on the air, but I'm not looking to get that involved with the sound on a 20 year old budget grade Kenwood TS-130S, besides with my current set up, I just don't have the shelf space for a bunch of audio equipment.
I dissagree to the point that I do not believe Heil makes a crappy mic, I have no doubt there's something that could be better, but his products certainly aren't crap. When it comes to things like this, it has a lot to do with personal taste, some guys may prefer the sound of a Shure, others an Apex, or Sennhiser, I happen to like the sound of Heil.....chocolate & vannila.....

Just got an early morning e-mail indicating that my order is going out in today's mail, so I'll probably see it on Monday, no later than Tuesday.
If this GM-5 makes half the improvement to my old K'wood the Hand-mic made with my Icom 2 meter rig.....I'll be plenty happy with it.....

Reason i said they are crap...
is simply they are..

Reason i say that..
I had to of their mikes go bad on me
one within a week and 2ed within 3 weeks

Thereby
They are Crap

To their defense.
They offered to replace them both.

Why replace Crap with more Crap..

I know my 706 MKIIG and IC7000 rigs use their mike elements
But it is Icom who sets the standard that heil must adhere to

I never said they didnt sound "ok"
just said...They are crap

Reason i said they are crap...
is simply they are..

Reason i say that..
I had to of their mikes go bad on me
one within a week and 2ed within 3 weeks

Thereby
They are Crap

To their defense.
They offered to replace them both.

Why replace Crap with more Crap..

I know my 706 MKIIG and IC7000 rigs use their mike elements
But it is Icom who sets the standard that heil must adhere to

I never said they didnt sound "ok"
just said...They are crap
Me thinks someone has serious rf crap in thier shack.

Congrats on the purchase WX2MIG! (y) I think you will be happy with the GM-5. I use the GM-4 on my IC-7000 running through an ART Studio V3 preamp and everyone tells me it sounds fantastic. When I compared the sound of the HC-5 element versus the full range broadcast element they sounded (to me) very close with the full range having a bit more bottom end - so I went with the HC-4 so I'd have something a bit 'narrower' for DX. I use an iCM on my 756 Pro II and it also produces some outstanding audio. Have fun!

Congrats on the purchase WX2MIG! (y) I think you will be happy with the GM-5. I use the GM-4 on my IC-7000 running through an ART Studio V3 preamp and everyone tells me it sounds fantastic. When I compared the sound of the HC-5 element versus the full range broadcast element they sounded (to me) very close with the full range having a bit more bottom end - so I went with the HC-4 so I'd have something a bit 'narrower' for DX. I use an iCM on my 756 Pro II and it also produces some outstanding audio. Have fun!

Thanks for the positive comments WRO220, I also have the Heil Handi-mic HM-ic on my IC-2200H, and it has made a big improvement to my audio, just this evening I was talking to a friend on a local 2 meter repeater who did not know about me getting this mic, about half way through the QSO he asked me if I got a new radio because I sounded a whole lot different. I asked him if I sounded better or worse than before, and he replied..."much better"
Then I told him about the Heil mic I put on my rig......;)

Before making my decision on the GM-4 or GM-5 I listened to samples of them, since I'm not much of a DX hound....(I take them when they come my way, but I don't hunt for them)....I didn't see much of a need for the HC-4 element. Besides I really didn't like the way it sounded, I know it serves a purpose for those who pursue DX, but that's not what I was looking for.

I would have gone with the PR-781, but Heil doesn't offer a pre made cable for the old 4 pin Kenwoods, and I figured that just might be too much microphone for an old rig like this.
When I hit the lottery and get an FT-950, maybe I'll treat it to a Pro-40.......:D

As requested by Moleculo.....

take a pic of the setup when you get it all put together :)

The new Heil GM-5 arrived, it's installed, and an audio report obtained from a couple of ham's on 3.814.0 Mhz.
The report so far is the HC-5 element sounds better, and punches through the noise common to the 80 meter band during day light hours. The wide range broadcast element sounded good as well, but did not have the extra punch, so for now I'll go with the HC-5 when on 80 Meters, and I'll have to see what feedback I get between the two elements on 40 and 20 meters when they open up a little better.....

And now ladies and gentlemen....the photo's you all been waiting for.......
HeilGM5001.jpg

HeilGM5002.jpg

HeilGM5003.jpg

Wow! That is a nice setup!!

Thank you, it's fairly low budget compared to many others, but it's all working good.....

Got a few more audio reports this evening on 80 meters, with the day time noise level down to a low roar, it seems most of the guys I talked to liked the sound of the broadcast element over the HC-5. I guess during the day or when the noise level is up and killing my signal, or when working a DX station I'll use the HC-5, when conditions are good, and I'm doing the round table rag chew I'll go with the broadcast element.....

Darn it MIG! I would have sold you my GM-5 so I can try out the PR781. Of course you would have also had to buy the shock mount that goes with it since that won't work on the PR781. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.