• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ideas on putting together a CB work bench.

Hey Loose,

Thank you for all the info!

I studied on that VICTOR-VC3165 for a few days by watching and reading the reviews. From what I seen most complained about how long it took to warm up then how long it took to get the reading to mellow out before getting a good reading from it. Three different video's showed the unit being off a little.

The scope I bought was cheap to get my feet wet with.
Researching data on scopes I seen a few saying that learning to use one made many newbies pushing it to the side to never be used again as it was to much confusion to learn. This was my biggest fear that kept me from spending money on a upper end ones. I am sure in time if I can get the hang of it that I will invest in a better one.

I am waiting for the scope to arrive before buying all the 60 Mhz probes for it as the seller of this scope is very fishy and it has not shipped yet. Reading his feedback I found this same unit being sold last month with the buyer posting positive feedback on it but yet the same scope and listing was put back on auction 30 days later. I questioned the seller about this and his reply was the buyer never paid for it so he put it back up for auction. Funny the buyer posted positive feedback? Very fishy!

Some of the other stuff you listed I have on hand. I will post a on hand list in a new post.

Thanks again for your info.

I'd agree with all of that, except for the counter. I had bought one of these ~$100 cheapie counter before made by some fly-by-night company that vaporizes in a couple of years or less.

A solid built counter is very important. And yes, the Fluke may well need to be calibrated. But this can be done with a Ham operator using 10mhz WWV and zero beat it. Doubt that the cheapie counter can even hold a calibration; I know the Fluke can . . .

Still have offer on the table for the Fluke. He is showing certified paper that it has been calibrated. We shall see if he will take my offer.

http://worldwidedx.com/gallery/albums/tallman.447/
I bought this one for a song($40.00) off of eBay and I took it to get calibrated. They did not have to adjust it all. If you let them warm up and stabilize they can be pretty good. It is accurate down to .09 ppm. Verified by the calibration lab.

Hey Tallman,

Nice looking counter but I can not make out the name and model. Pic is to blurry.

The equipment I have on hand so far is:

Two volt meters, one digital and one analog

Mark II B watt meter

Kentron inline frequency counter

SWR / Field strength meter with a cap inline making a RF probe out of it

Two dummy loads, one 100 watt and one 1000 watt

Weller soldering iron

Home brew made signal tracer for receive

Tenma Test Equipment Semiconductor Tester Model 72-965

Lots of plastic alignment tools

Forgot to add my Astron RS-50A power supply.

Attachments

• 1008160846.jpg
    1008160846.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 5
I'd agree with all of that, except for the counter. I had bought one of these ~$100 cheapie counter before made by some fly-by-night company that vaporizes in a couple of years or less.

A solid built counter is very important. And yes, the Fluke may well need to be calibrated. But this can be done with a Ham operator using 10mhz WWV and zero beat it. Doubt that the cheapie counter can even hold a calibration; I know the Fluke can . . .

Just wanted to let you know the seller accepted my offer on the Fluke 1900A Multi-Counter.

Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: Tallman
I don't have a test bench, as I'm not really a tech by any stretch of the word. But there are some good videos of techs on YouTube that might help you some, and I've found most of these guys respond to questions. A great one to look at is Mr. Carlson's Lab. Man, that guy has one heck of a setup! There's also a fella that runs on here that has some good equipment and good videos that goes by The Radio Shop.

Brett

OPTOelectronics 8010-s 10 Hz - 600 MHz. If you hit eBay check out this vendor. http://www.ebay.com/sch/tryc2/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Be careful when buying from them though. I have bought some items that required repair before they were usable.
If they say they do not have the means to test, they don't know what it is and have no idea how to test.

Thanks for the info. I had an item on my watch list from this guy. He sure has a lot of stuff for sale on there.

I don't have a test bench, as I'm not really a tech by any stretch of the word. But there are some good videos of techs on YouTube that might help you some, and I've found most of these guys respond to questions. A great one to look at is Mr. Carlson's Lab. Man, that guy has one heck of a setup! There's also a fella that runs on here that has some good equipment and good videos that goes by The Radio Shop.

Brett

Hey Brett,
Nice to meet ya. Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Reactions: 2RT307
Just found this thread and have a related question. I know that they have all kinds of fancy analyzers but, on the more simplistic side, what do you need to perform most RX/TX alignments? I'm sure a good frequency counter, a scope with decent bandwidth, perhaps a vacuum tube volt meter, but what do you need in an RF generator? What kind of features would it need? And, when it comes to RF spectrum analyzers...has anyone ever heard of using one of these SDR dongles as a test instrument?

Thanks!
Bob

Just found this thread and have a related question. I know that they have all kinds of fancy analyzers but, on the more simplistic side, what do you need to perform most RX/TX alignments? I'm sure a good frequency counter, a scope with decent bandwidth, perhaps a vacuum tube volt meter, but what do you need in an RF generator? What kind of features would it need? And, when it comes to RF spectrum analyzers...has anyone ever heard of using one of these SDR dongles as a test instrument?

Thanks!
Bob
People have used SDR for a makeshift spectrum analyzer. Most quality RF signal gens will have a provision for a 1Khz tone @ 30% amplitude, you will need this for RX alignments.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and info.

Sorry to be late answering but Matthew hit us pretty good and we have been with out power for two days now.

Might be another day or two with all the power lines down for so many miles.

Anyway everything is being shipped now and hope by end of next week I will have it all put together.

Thanks again to everyone.
CB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.