• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

if you had $xxxxx to spend, what would you get?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
ok so wired turn of events, but it looks like I have some cash coming my way... I have a few bills to pay off and other things and a house to pay off... but I need to figure out what equipment I will be buying...

The thing is I ran the numbers and after paying everything off, house included I will still have a crap ton of cash left over... so... yeah.

So here are the rules, can be new or used gear (if used estimate on the high-average end)

I will give a budget as to what I can afford to spend, then what I would like to do with that budget

$2,000 budget

- HF/6/2/440 rig, or rigs - used in the shack
- tuner for HF bands - MANUAL, used in the shack
- maybe a nice 10, 6, or 2m rig for the mobile
- maybe a cheap rotor ?

$5000 budget

- same as above
- amp for the HF bands
-feed line upgrades, running mainly RG8x now
- some all mod, all band rig for the mobile

$7500 budget

-same as above
- not sure what else I might need... I would say at this price I would want separate rigs for whatever I am working
- autotuner for the mobile
- bunch of hamstick like antennas? for the mobile

$10,000 budget

- get creative... I have no 'eff'ing clue what goes on at this point

Last edited:

FX: Glad things are looking UP!....
Speaking of UP!....
Before you blow your wad on a group of mid-priced gear....
I would think I would be looking for a nice New/Used 30/40/50 ft crank-up or fold over tower system(y)....
Or Roof-Top tower for the shed and a few push-up Poles in the corners of the lot
Your first thoughts, I would think should be a nice Tri-bander...
Maybe a 6 meter and 2 meter beam for the top...
Then a couple of side arms with pulleys to pull-up some dipoles/a doublet...etc...
Then see what's left over $$ wise and purchase a nice new/used rig... Then maybe a Tuner and amp to go with it....
All the nice gear in the world won't do you any good unless you can get your sig past the fence...:headbang
GL
All the Best(y)
BJ
http://glenmartin.com/products/40-m-13-tower
they're located in MO.

http://www.texastowers.com/towers.htm?cat=193&tower_height=244

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
BJ said it all,

Only thing to add is maybe look for a property you can purchase, that way you can start your antenna farm and not have to worry about landlord or having to take it down.

FX: Glad things are looking UP!....
Speaking of UP!....
Before you blow your wad on a group of mid-priced gear....
I would think I would be looking for a nice New/Used 30/40/50 ft crank-up or fold over tower system(y)....
Or Roof-Top tower for the shed and a few push-up Poles in the corners of the lot
Your first thoughts, I would think should be a nice Tri-bander...
Maybe a 6 meter and 2 meter beam for the top...
Then a couple of side arms with pulleys to pull-up some dipoles/a doublet...etc...
Then see what's left over $$ wise and purchase a nice new/used rig... Then maybe a Tuner and amp to go with it....
All the nice gear in the world won't do you any good unless you can get your sig past the fence...:headbang
GL
All the Best(y)
BJ
40′ M-13 Radio Tower Package | GlenMartin
they're located in MO.

Texas Towers

Good news is I own the property I am on now... well I guess at the moment the bank owns the property. The bad news is this is still a few months off, so I still have to sell my current gear in order to survive until I get my money

as for antennas and towers... not a bad idea, but I like to build things when I can, I own a push up pole, but I would like a few towers

If I had $10k to spend I would get;

$3000 SteppIR DB18 yagi, covers 40 - 6M with no gaps. Products | Steppir, Inc – Antennas for Amateur Radio and Industry

$2800 Flex-5000 transceiver FLEX-5000A
I have one of these and it is the best rig I have ever owned. And yeah, I am a Flex fanboy. I love this thing!

$2600 US TOWER TX-455 freestanding crankup tower. Ham Radio Outlet | US TOWER TX-455 | 55FT 3SECT 12-1/2 TOP 18SQFT

$255 Directive Systems 5 element 6m yagi 9.1 dBd gain. Untitled Document
I have the 4 element version and it is well built.

This is fun. I love spending other peoples money!

Zack
N8FNR

Reactions: 1 person
Is $10K your max budget, or can you go higher? :)

10k is my max in theory, so long as I don't go over board on the new (to me) truck trailer and gas sipping put-put mobile... :D

It could even be higher, all I know is they are playing ball, and my lawyer is one heck of a catcher

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.