• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

if you had $xxxxx to spend, what would you get?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
ok so wired turn of events, but it looks like I have some cash coming my way... I have a few bills to pay off and other things and a house to pay off... but I need to figure out what equipment I will be buying...

The thing is I ran the numbers and after paying everything off, house included I will still have a crap ton of cash left over... so... yeah.

So here are the rules, can be new or used gear (if used estimate on the high-average end)

I will give a budget as to what I can afford to spend, then what I would like to do with that budget

$2,000 budget

- HF/6/2/440 rig, or rigs - used in the shack
- tuner for HF bands - MANUAL, used in the shack
- maybe a nice 10, 6, or 2m rig for the mobile
- maybe a cheap rotor ?

$5000 budget

- same as above
- amp for the HF bands
-feed line upgrades, running mainly RG8x now
- some all mod, all band rig for the mobile

$7500 budget

-same as above
- not sure what else I might need... I would say at this price I would want separate rigs for whatever I am working
- autotuner for the mobile
- bunch of hamstick like antennas? for the mobile

$10,000 budget

- get creative... I have no 'eff'ing clue what goes on at this point

Last edited:

FX: Glad things are looking UP!....
Speaking of UP!....
Before you blow your wad on a group of mid-priced gear....
I would think I would be looking for a nice New/Used 30/40/50 ft crank-up or fold over tower system(y)....
Or Roof-Top tower for the shed and a few push-up Poles in the corners of the lot
Your first thoughts, I would think should be a nice Tri-bander...
Maybe a 6 meter and 2 meter beam for the top...
Then a couple of side arms with pulleys to pull-up some dipoles/a doublet...etc...
Then see what's left over $$ wise and purchase a nice new/used rig... Then maybe a Tuner and amp to go with it....
All the nice gear in the world won't do you any good unless you can get your sig past the fence...:headbang
GL
All the Best(y)
BJ
http://glenmartin.com/products/40-m-13-tower
they're located in MO.

http://www.texastowers.com/towers.htm?cat=193&tower_height=244

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
BJ said it all,

Only thing to add is maybe look for a property you can purchase, that way you can start your antenna farm and not have to worry about landlord or having to take it down.

FX: Glad things are looking UP!....
Speaking of UP!....
Before you blow your wad on a group of mid-priced gear....
I would think I would be looking for a nice New/Used 30/40/50 ft crank-up or fold over tower system(y)....
Or Roof-Top tower for the shed and a few push-up Poles in the corners of the lot
Your first thoughts, I would think should be a nice Tri-bander...
Maybe a 6 meter and 2 meter beam for the top...
Then a couple of side arms with pulleys to pull-up some dipoles/a doublet...etc...
Then see what's left over $$ wise and purchase a nice new/used rig... Then maybe a Tuner and amp to go with it....
All the nice gear in the world won't do you any good unless you can get your sig past the fence...:headbang
GL
All the Best(y)
BJ
40′ M-13 Radio Tower Package | GlenMartin
they're located in MO.

Texas Towers

Good news is I own the property I am on now... well I guess at the moment the bank owns the property. The bad news is this is still a few months off, so I still have to sell my current gear in order to survive until I get my money

as for antennas and towers... not a bad idea, but I like to build things when I can, I own a push up pole, but I would like a few towers

If I had $10k to spend I would get;

$3000 SteppIR DB18 yagi, covers 40 - 6M with no gaps. Products | Steppir, Inc – Antennas for Amateur Radio and Industry

$2800 Flex-5000 transceiver FLEX-5000A
I have one of these and it is the best rig I have ever owned. And yeah, I am a Flex fanboy. I love this thing!

$2600 US TOWER TX-455 freestanding crankup tower. Ham Radio Outlet | US TOWER TX-455 | 55FT 3SECT 12-1/2 TOP 18SQFT

$255 Directive Systems 5 element 6m yagi 9.1 dBd gain. Untitled Document
I have the 4 element version and it is well built.

This is fun. I love spending other peoples money!

Zack
N8FNR

Reactions: 1 person
Is $10K your max budget, or can you go higher? :)

10k is my max in theory, so long as I don't go over board on the new (to me) truck trailer and gas sipping put-put mobile... :D

It could even be higher, all I know is they are playing ball, and my lawyer is one heck of a catcher

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned