• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IM SURE THE RF CHOKES GETTING ANNOYING

If you have an I2K install HM that is about identical to my VSWR readings on the mfj 259B I use the I2K 10 through 15 meters, never tried 17 or 20 on it.

Works good for what it is.

My Choke is about 20" below the feed point, no issues with TVI RFI on the computer speakers or any thing else that I know of, No complaints from the neighbors and I have used Full legal limit through that I2K, no issues

Actually i testing it too on down to 80m lol never got into double digit swrs.

Weird...

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Correct, green is better, dark green is best, yellow is really the minimum you want to be looking at and outside of the red there's nothing happening. Now you'll notice some of them have black lines under parts of the scale. That is where the choking is resistive which is far better than reactive which all of the air wound ones are. If you get reactive chokes wrong it can make matters worse and increase common mode RFI.

Cool. OK now... how.would one achieve that black line frim 10m to 160m or below and upto 6m or it impossible using an air coil and those slipon palamar beads 31mix model BA 8, and how many to achieve it and how many turns on an air coil and how wide 4.25, 7, 8, 11 inches ect...

These beads

http://palomar-engineers.com/baluns-and-ununs/1-1-balun-kits/sleeve-baluns/slip-on-sleeve-baluns

And how far from connector and how far after they stop start the air coil?

My statement implying your chokes leed looked to be to far from the feed point was based purely on my research and the replyes to my op.

The majority of those replyes suggested the leed coming off the choke should be "as close as possible to the antennas feed point". And 2' seemed far from " close as possible" than it could be.

After writing k3dave@msn.com and asking him to advise me on this particular point he promptly answered my question. And his answer was that two feet was an ideal distance from the feed point no mater what band/bands the antenna is built and used for.

I apologize for questioning you chokes install but I hope you undestsnd why I did so. I tryed to add the link to k3dav's web page which a member actually posted within the last month.

Dave hss some interesting information on subjects related to ham and non ham radio subjects. All are interesting and insightful. His adress is-

k3dav@msn.com
I take it rg8x would be same as rg58 or rg213?
I did this based on 4.25" air coil. And about 18"-21" from SO-239 to coil and did 5 Turns. Does this look right? It's rg8x coax till I get a 36' pole and do up the rg9913f7 coax.

View attachment 16125

Last edited:
My statement implying your chokes leed looked to be to far from the feed point was based purely on my research and the replyes to my op.

The majority of those replyes suggested the leed coming off the choke should be "as close as possible to the antennas feed point". And 2' seemed far from " close as possible" than it could be.

After writing k3dave@msn.com and asking him to advise me on this particular point he promptly answered my question. And his answer was that two feet was an ideal distance from the feed point no mater what band/bands the antenna is built and used for.

I apologize for questioning you chokes install but I hope you undestsnd why I did so. I tryed to add the link to k3dav's web page which a member actually posted within the last month.

Dave hss some interesting information on subjects related to ham and non ham radio subjects. All are interesting and insightful. His adress is-

k3dav@msn.com

No need to apologize, I am seeking answers and trying to gain first hand knowledge.
To me any input is welcome
Their's always someone who know it or has been their done that.

The distance from the feedpoint to the choke should depend on the frequency, i.e. the fraction of a wavelength at that frequency represented by the distance. The higher you go in frequency, the shorter the wavelength becomes. While 20" is almost 5% of a wavelength on 11 meters, it's only about 0.6% at 80.

Anyone, however, can experiment and see what difference can be repeatedly made.

Really SO-239 top and bottom if I am understanding this and how many inches or feet from antenna SO-239 to current balun? And any windings needed or just slap that on and x amount of coax to balun is it?

http://www.radioworks.com/clitop.html

The closer to the feed point of the antenna is in most cases the best place to install the choke or balun.

Reason being is to ELIMINATE the shield of the coax from being part of the antenna. TVI, RFI all caused by CMC.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
20150706_164625.jpg

What about this under the antenna via double PL-259 to connect it or how far down would you go and I take it I need NO air coil?

With that you would not need any type of rf choke
install on a short jumper as near to the feed point as you can install it with good mechanical integrity.

Keep in mind that on that I2K you will not be working 160 thru 10 meters so that part is WAY over kill but it is your set up and your dime.

On the other hand you may want to use that sometime in the future on some sort of multi band antenna but coax is the wrong type of transmission line to use for all band work into a non resonant antenna.

With that you would not need any type of rf choke
install on a short jumper as near to the feed point as you can install it with good mechanical integrity.

Keep in mind that on that I2K you will not be working 160 thru 10 meters so that part is WAY over kill but it is your set up and your dime.

On the other hand you may want to use that sometime in the future on some sort of multi band antenna but coax is the wrong type of transmission line to use for all band work into a non resonant antenna.
11436219009260-1952248301.jpg

Defiantly with this can put 5 or 6 bands together fanning out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.