• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX2000 no GPK vs 1/2 wave Silver Rod

3,400 feet must be fantastic as a QTH. tba02 did you mean dB or S points as in "signal bars / meter marker points". Each S Point / bar is a very loose 6dB for information value.

That would be much closer to what I see switching between a mag on the roof of a car and a Silver Rod 1/2 wave at 15 feet high on an ali pole.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Thanks for all the replies!! Okay now I see why you setup your static mobiles gents. At 2-4 s-units of increase, or more, that is well worth the effort I would have to say. With that said, maybe it was the size and height of the vehicle I was using for my mobile setup coupled with a 2 pill amp that helped me out most of the time. But we are talking about a work van that has a 9ft roof, then add a 6.5ft antenna to that. Granted it was only a mag mounted setup, but I did work the world with it before I ever had a base station. I spoke to a member of the forum here, solar radio 351, somewhere in Australia while driving down I-4 at 70mph. Did this a couple of times mobile, and also a couple times while sitting at the water as well. But like I said, the size of tie vehicle I was using might have helped me out a bunch. A Nissan NV 3500 work van is long as heck and tall with the high roof option. Lots of metal to work with and it had a nice long top. My antenna was placed more forward of center due to raised roof rails, so most of my signal went out the back.
At any rate, this was just my own experience and complete setup was as follows:
Sirio performer 5000, PL145 mag mount, replaced coax with Times Micorwave lmr240, used 5 extra magnets on the underside of the roof. One was a PL145 magnet and the other 4 were 5" magnets. This held the antenna in place very well. Best I could do as I couldn't drill. Radios used were magnum 257HP, then the Optima mk3, amp was a Magnaforce 350HD.
Made lots of contacts with both setups, but the optima mk3 was a better radio in the sense of quality and such. The magnum 257hp had great audio, but too many other issues for prolonged mobile use, especially in a work van.
At any rate, again, I see why now you setup a static mobile and you have me curious as to what I could do with a simple setup like an A99 and 20ft of pipe. Anyway. Again, thanks for all the responses and it makes sense now more than ever why you guys setup "static mobile's".
I didn't realize the gain was so large RD, and that alone is worth it if you have the time and materials to go static mobile. Again, thanks to all that replies and the info is being soaked in and may be put to use one day by myself(y):).

Reactions: RadioDaze2.0
@222DBFL

I know someone who uses a IMAX2K clamped to work ladders on his van roof. He does very well. He is 140 miles away from me on the west side of the south UK and an equally enthusiastic hill topper (Call sign 26CT1685 Kevin, a good chap)

His IMAX2 works very well indeed as the van seems to work as a very effective ground plane for this type of antenna. Which is exactly what I mean about the antenna system in the last post. It does not by any means needs to be a Gain master though it has proven itself the best performer in my modus operandi : ) i.e. on poles up a hill. My guess is a Gain master on a van roof would be an ill performer given it is a balanced dipole design.

As mentioned great conditions mean a 1/4 wave whip on a mag mount can and will do well, multiple hops with reduced F2 layer attenuation (i.e. very strong ionospheric charges) and greater expanses of charge in terms of area mean higher angle or a lower intensity of field strength at lower angles can and will still manage F2/Sporadic E DX.

We have all experienced this in practice with surprise DX on next to no power and unremarkable or "cloudwarmer" antennas.

On forums I often see "worked the world" when using a diminutive set ups... to quote someone on air... "I spoke to Australia from the supermarket car park using a 4 foot whip using radio power"

When people say work the world I think distances would be helpful, other wise it can get a little vague. (I am guilty of this myself, I guess we just don't always provide exact details of every contact on any given day and are mainly just happy with having made the contact and maybe other reasons in the case of the unlicensed)

If we were to really qualify the "worked the world" contacts.. it would involve a report along the following lines:

1) RX antenna used
2) Estimated DX conditions on scale of 1-10
3) Power used
4) Local RX noise floor S reading.

Maybe something along the lines if the SWL SINPO measure. Forgive me if there is already some kind structured way of reporting that I am not aware of.

I wish this was qualified whenever I see it in terms of what kind of skip conditions were prevalent so we can gauge what kind of setups might be appropriate under different conditions.

It can be misleading to expect to speak 10,000 miles with a mag mount and radio power each time you go out. Even on the downward slope of the current 11 year cycle on some days "working the world" on a mag mount and 20 watts as in 10,000 miles + may well be possible.

On other days working the world will only be happening 4 element beam to 4 element beam on 15M towers and a 500 Watts forward ERP.

In no way am I making criticism 222DBFL but also think we might create an expectation that is not achievable on many days. I think we should always aim for the best we can achieve.

Given I work omni only by principle I had to ensure the best performance setup I could as part of my interest in the hobby and for my own integrity in talking about my setup and the contacts I am capable of making. I did not want a situation where I thought.... "I wonder if I could have got through to that station if I had X bit of equipment or set up in Y manner."

I have found a lot of myths and people without integrity speak on the matter of radio (not so much on this forum) despite these principles having good understanding in science and that is immensely confusing for many. I neither want to be an expert or an ignoramus. I have enjoyed delving in and finding out fact from fiction in my own way with great help from others who have greater technical knowledge than myself.

I hasten to add that as time moves on it is possible to filter your intake of information and get a grip of who knows what they are talking about technically and extend that into unknown areas with interesting ideas and theories. In the main I now know who talks sense online and that has accelerated my knowledge and understand along with the ARRL antenna book massively even in the last 4 months.

Not everyone wants or needs to do that, that is fine but it does means you have to be discerning about the information that you choose to take on board, when the internet is the main source. As long as it is fun seeking, questioning, discussing and testing and ultimately operating, I find that rewarding and enjoyable.

I can only be an expert on my own setup and exact operating conditions.

Sharing that as we all do, all feeds into helping each other improve and enhance our understanding an radio operations.

It might sound a bit serious and I think you can be serious about a hobby because that helps you get more out of it. Not everyone wants to take it to that level and just wants a chat to the guys 20 miles way and are happy with that.

I have found this forum the best forum on the internet for discussion of radio.

There may be a bit of a less local feel as it is frequented by people both sides of the Atlantic and beyond but that should suit us DX'ers just fine : ) The forum is well named.

P.S. As far as you using an Antron 99 on 20 feet pole it will do as well as the conditions will allow for any 1/2 wave vertical antenna cause they are all essentially the same : ) I reckon you would be hard pressed to find 0.2 dB between them in any given setup in terms of performance alone. They are all a 18 feet bit of wire with a tapped coil stuck in the air, nothing more nothing less. On that basis a 1/2 wave Venom Silver Rod is the cheapest point of entry in the U.K. at least. I can regularly, in good conditions speak 6,000 miles with 150W PEP using one 4 feet from the ground, to another vertical antenna. (South Africa being a clear recent example giving a S9/R5 report)

Always learning and crucially trying to keep it fun and interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
222DBFL.....the height of the tips being the same only matters when the antenna current maximum is highest at that point of the antenna. The tips being the same height doesn't make an antenna perform the same as another on either TX or RX. It is something I wouldn't take into consideration at all unless using a capacity hat. The top 25% of most antennas does very little at all in comparison to the mid and base sections.

The current maximum is the strongest radiating part of the antenna, and thus the most important for determining most of the antennas performance characteristics. The thing that is being missed here is that for most base antennas, where such comparisons are generally made, the tip height directly determines the current maximum height. Because of this, in a vast majority of cases, the tip height can be used as a means of direct comparison for matching the current maximum height. That is on all antennas that have no form of loading (such as a capacity hat) on the top part of the antenna...

The DB

I loaned out the A99 tba02. For now anyway. The one I beefed up with heat shrink. Anyway, might have to get it back LOL!!

And RD I am constantly learning and am just a curious George I suppose. It never hurts. I enjoy reading and gaining all the knowledge I can attain as I would like to think I strive for perfection when I do install work. I've built many commercial cell sites from fhe ground up, and understand that having a total system that works well is the key along with the right conditions to making contacts across the world. And yes I have done that with the mobile. Sure there are spots I haven't managed, but I have talked all over EU, S. Africa, Ukraine, Russia, and some other places as well. No it's not ever country, but all were mobile and were logged contacts. I traveled for work and would be all over the place from Michigan to FL and everywhere in between and this is where my mobile contacts came from. Around 2012- 2013 time frame. Radio setups changed, but power was either 50 watts or about 300 watts pep max ever used.
But like I said, with the gains you show it seems well worth the effort. I'll one day get down by the water and give it a whirl. I'm not going anywhere. DX or not I'll still be on air!!

Hey DB222FL,
I remember when the space shuttle would launch from the cape.

I could talk to mobiles at the cape surrounded by those salt water marshes they put a nice signal; up here by Gainesville FL.

That salt water sure makes for a GREAT ground.

Another guy I know at Crescent beach used to park his truck on the beach and watch the sun come up, working DX into EU from his mobile rig. Salt water ground.

On 20 meters early one morning I worked a station in Papa New Guinea, he was using a dipole and a piece of bamboo to hold the dipole up at 20 feet above the sand on the beach.

Salt water sure helps the signal.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Marconi
Yes it does. Mother Natures big ground plane!! I know how well it works as I could out talk guys running almost 4 times the power and they were on base stations. I would sit at the Intercoastal Waterway at the waters edge and man did I make a bunch of contacts that way!! The noise level drops and the signals seems to pick up as soon as you get close to the water. I do miss going there with my old work van. It made dxing a lot easier for me at the time. Anyway. Just my experience.

It might suprise you RD. Although you lose elevation, you have no obstructions in the way and you have one huge RF friendly surface area to work with. Makes dxing fun but at times almost too easy I swear. But anyway, I am going to try your setup type with an A99 and some lmr240 coax. Might be a while, but I will give it a try after I get my antenna back and such. At any rate, again, thank you to all that responded to my questions, and RD keep up the good work man!! And again, thx to everyone that responded to my posts. Have a great day.

Does it start getting directional even with an omni at the coast ? i.e.mainly incoming from direction of the sea ? Or is the improvement all around? I wonder what the science is on that ?

Look for a nice high point local to yourself, I have 4 and each is a little different on the local side but on par with each other on the DX, give or take slight QRM at 1 QTH.

TBO, it helped performance all around best I can always recall. My antenna setup was such that is was more directional toward the rear, but it did have a big improvement overall no matter which way I faced. If the DX was coming from the South, I turned the rear of the truck that way, Ana same with the North. It was really wild at times where I used to go, it would be so quite as far as floor noise went man it was nice. Signals just booming in from all around. The salt water really does a wonderful job!! I'll just say that much. Take it for what it is. I'm no expert by any means, and just like to enjoy talking on the radio and making contacts and friends at the same time per say. I've met a couple forum members and have sat and had dinner with them as well. While traveling. At any rate, like I said, I'll have to try the A99 one day down there with a mobile setup. And see how I fare. Run barefoot 12 watts! Will see!!

One day I will go to the coast purely out of interest and give height a miss for the day and see how I fair.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...2!3m1!1s0x863f59c8c4059259:0xe58b03c9b9eaecc1

Hey guys here are some of my recollections on this issue from my past.

An old radio buddy of mine lived in Houston, but worked for his brother on Galveston Island about 60+ miles away from me. He use to talk to us daily as he went to work, and after a point on this 60 mile journey on I45 South...he began to fade out. When he got on the Galveston Causeway across the bay, he was again able to talk back again, but mostly to South Houston areas only. I am on the near NW side of Houston and we could hear him, but my talking to him being up North of town was made difficult...and maybe that was due to the city skyline between us. When he got on the Island proper he fade away again, even though the Island is surrounded by salt water.

The rest is what I think I saw happen when we get close to a large salt water sea. My buddy found what we use to call, "hot-spots," on his route to work. It was the parking lot of a drive-in grocery store near a salt water Inlet just a short distance from the Galveston Sea Wall and the coast. See this area noted on the map at the location Corner Store. From there he could broadcast back to Houston, among other areas, like he was a local. Over time he has told us he found other such areas on the Island, but for the most part the land on Galveston is not so easy to talk far without these hot spots.

I have also taken the ferry between the Island and the mainland, and I could easily talk from the boat in my truck as I crossed over, but as we got close to the land, on either side, we would again see this advantage over the open water disappear, similar to crossing the Causeway.

My thinking is...just being near the salt water may not always produce the best results. So if you can, move around near the water and check for Hot Spots.

Based on my experiences with Hot Spots and what others tell me...they are often located on man made surfaces.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.