• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IOTA - Whats the Scoop?

i went thru that recently .7 pounds of noise soon as it was switched on .
couldnt hear .big bummer .it was a 100 amp switching supply.had to sell it.
2hicqxk.gif

This thread is about Iotas.The 100 amp supply you had,was it made by Iota? My Kenwood 440 is powered from one of my Iotas,no noise.Maybe the Iota is filtered better? Do all switching supplies generate noise? Does anybody know?

Same here, I have my ts-430 powered solely from a dls-55 and I have a battery pack with a dls-75 and I see no difference in the floor noise with them on or off.

no it was not a iota.....good to know the iotas dont throw noise .but some switching supplies do .so just keep that in mind when buying one.

mine was a audio authority .stay clear of those.

t5sales is the largest single supplier of the Iota supplies on ebay.

I've not heard any complaints about the Iota supplies, and I think they would make a great supply.

I'm just cautious of these particular supplies because they don't have a factory warrranty are are marked down quite a bit from standard retail.

Every once is a while, one can get a good deal, but quite often when things seem too good to be true, they usually are for one reason or another.

The guy has a great rating and I don't think he is out to scam anyone, nor do I think he steals or anything like that.

I'll ask him before I buy and see what he has to say. Maybe Iota does make that many *extra* supplies to let them go through 2nd rate markets...

In my original post, I wrote:

Maybe those on eBay, if they are switching supply's (I'm not familiar with the Iota brand), are customer returns. Switching supply's often create RF "hash" which can be quite annoying in a quiet receiver.

To which this comment was posted:

Listen mackmobile43, I'm afraid you are the one who is WRONG.

I stand by my original statement -- made from personal experience -- that “Switching supply's often create RF "hash" which can be quite annoying in a quiet receiver.”

Notice I qualified my observation with the word “often" not "always."

Duh

-

Last edited:
Don't know about these Iota supplies, but I run my entire shack off of one Samlex SEC-1223 switching power supply, and I do not get any noise from it.
I often have a lower noise level on 80 meters than many other stations report at the same time, and that's off a random wire antenna.
My 2 meter, and VHF Marine radios are dead quiet.
Could be Samlex supplies are filtered better than some of the others.....

Don't know about these Iota supplies, but I run my entire shack off of one Samlex SEC-1223 switching power supply, and I do not get any noise from it.

Sounds like you lucked out, 'MIG. I don't have any experience with Iota, either, but a number of switching power supplies I've tried create a nasty noise that's present on a few different bands. Some good, some bad, I guess...

switching supply technology has come a long way in the past few years.

Think about this, almost all of modern test instrumentation uses switchers. Spectrum analyzers come to mind...

IOTA supplies?

Stackable/ adjustable/ high percentage output/ pretty good quality level.......

I use 3 55s in series.......set @ 16.2 volts.

I've had them for 3 years in my shack. Not a whimper and almost never hear the fan(s) come on.

Works for me......bang for the buck.

I have at least 3 other brands.......good but not on the same level IMO.

My nickle......about an even exchange!

..................Ol'Ben

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.