• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ISO: Display for a Uniden Pro 640e

pappy.gif
While searching for a alignment and display replacement - I found this...

Uniden Pro 640e AM / SSB CB Radio Review (December 26, 2009) - Now let’s talk about the display – probably the single biggest reason not to buy one of these radios. The Uniden Pro 640e suffered from a major design flaw in the circuit that regulates the voltages to the channel LED segments and they are prone to burning out. When I say “prone” I should say that if you own one of these radios, eventually the LED's will burn out. Replacing them in this radio is much more difficult than many other CB’s on the market, and although possible, it’s a pain. As you can see in the pictures of this radio the LED’s have burned out in multiple locations and although I can still tell what channel I’m on, if another 1 or 2 burn out it could get pretty interesting. Of course you can easily solve this by hardwiring in a frequency counter or using an external frequency counter.

Just picked up one of these radios,on the cheap,because of the display.I found one(new old stock)on ebay,just waiting for it to come in.
Today,I disassembled the face,de-soldered the old display.
Not as bad as I thought.
I'm eager to know what resistor value should I use to 'lower' the voltage to the new display,and,where to insert this resistor?
OR,,,,
Could'nt I just mod the 'brightness' switch to where it stays 'dim',and reduce the chance of premature 'burn-out'?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks!

I've had my Unien Pro 640e for many years now and it continues to work great! Best mobile CB/SSB I've ever seen!

My display had missing segments also after several years of use - the factory stated they could not do anything for me at the time so I decided to look into the radio myself - I found two solder joints broken on the back of the display board, reparied them, and works w/o problem toe this day!

I've had my Unien Pro 640e for many years now and it continues to work great! Best mobile CB/SSB I've ever seen!

My display had missing segments also after several years of use - the factory stated they could not do anything for me at the time so I decided to look into the radio myself - I found two solder joints broken on the back of the display board, reparied them, and works w/o problem toe this day!

"Best mobile CB/SSB I've ever seen" I take it this is the only AM/SSB CB radio you have ever seen.

Reactions: IMD262
I have two of these radios now-has anyone tried replacing the SMD's.
They can be purchased on fleabay for next to nothing.
Robert

I know this post is old but I have one here with the same issue. I marked some lines on the radio face for chan 11. Then I just count the clicks up and down to get to the right channel. This radio has a nice crisp modulation not to ment an awesome sounding SSB rig. Much like my 146GTL. Too bad there are not many mods out there for this beauty. Graet stock radio though.

I recently aquired one aswell and sme problem and as mentioned it is a common problem with the 640E models I have the channel kit (Expo 100 N kit) in a PC 122 that I will mosty likely use in the 640E instead and will just use an external frequency display which sucks but with extra channels it will be pretty usefull.

It is a cool little radio and I tuned and alligned it on center so it works perfect on SSB without a clarifier mod but that display problem just p!$$es me off. Kinda starnge but the Uniden PC122 has the same problem with the channel readout LEDs but atleast those can be fixed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.