• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

let the skip begin on 11 meters

I just hooked up a dipole antenna I just got and there is a lot of skip coming in down here in south Texas. I tried a few times but nobody came back to me. I gotta work on my SWRs, they are high. I tried on my little ole Cobra 19 and my OLD Connex 3300HP which has problems. I wasn't picking up too much skip today in my truck. But that dipole was really picking it up this evening.
Now a couple of days ago I was in Wyoming and made the trip to Florida and New Jersey. I have a magnum S45 on its way and am really looking forward to talking on sideband. Never done it before so it ought to be fun.

skip

Skip's rolling in this morning with the usual '288' from I guess Arizona. Everyone's trying to talk to Carolina Kid. This guy must be in the right spot and right equipment. I watched a You Tube vid from Triple 7 ,Bulldog and Carolina Kid's up there. I did notice one operator from the Northwest that when he talks it cut right through another guy's modulation and I hear clearly understand him. He must have his radio setup right. No splatter,no overmodulation,but a good clean modulation. My back up radio,a TRC-428 is only good for local. Keys 2 1/2 watts,swings to 4 1/2 watts. <More audio>

Mother Nature

Your thanks should be to Mother Nature, not your radio or the tech that tuned it.:bored:
That would be the case. I pulled the covers off my 959 as soon as I got it back from DTB to check out his workmanship and to see how the amc,ssb alc and ssb power pots were adjusted. My adjustments previous to sending it to get tuned and aligned are vastly different. Plus I read Cbradiomagazine's 'how to talk skip' and I jumped on the contacts that had the biggest signal and they came back immediately. A properly tuned radio+Mother Nature=
(y)

P.S.not using echo/reverb and roger beep helped too. Plus I got to listen to a nice ten minute dx conversation from three dx'ers in Connecticut on 38 lsb. A pleasant change from 28 am. Ssb's the way to go!

Liking SSB

I got my brand new Magnum S45 yesterday evening. I couldn't wait to try SSB.
Well, I was down in Corpus Christi,Texas today and I found a couple of guys on LSB 37 talking so when they were through talking I asked for a break. One guy came back, as it turns out they were both in Corpus as well. We talked for a couple of minute and he told me that I should have no problem getting out with my radio from the way it sounded.

Well just about an hour later I was able to make solid contact to 741 in New York, as well to stations in and Pennsylvania an Ontario,Canada. I tried to contact 187 in New Hampshire, Conn. but had no luck. I also had my number called by stations in Montana and California , but there was no real conversation.

What I really liked was that there was NO B.S. like on regular CB. No one had splatter boxes and nobody repeated them selves 20 times just to finish break break break break break or bye bye bye bye bye.

This evening I tried USB 16 to contact stations i heard out of Cali., but had no luck.

When I talked to 741 in New York it was as if he was only a couple of miles from me. Nice clean audio. So far I am really liking SSB. I'm sure there are some clowns out there, but what I heard today was so much nicer then regular CB.

what #'s do you use, codeman? mobile only, or base too? always corpus christi, or elsewhere in TX? i think i've talked to every station in TX tthaht uses lsb 38, and half the rest of the stations in TX. that goes for 10m too!

what #'s do you use, codeman? mobile only, or base too? always corpus christi, or elsewhere in TX? i think i've talked to every station in TX tthaht uses lsb 38, and half the rest of the stations in TX. that goes for 10m too!

I am totally new to SSB, but I go by 353. I am usually somewhere around central to South Texas. Right now I am just mobile working on some sort of a temporary base.

skip is er nowhere!

Here in the uk at present it's low,to be honest AM is the best band as usa is booming in.
Most of the time it's Italia or Spain but it is nice to hear the state's more!(y)

static's been on a moderate today. Heard John Denver and some locals. met one of the locals at Radio Shack while getting a Otterbox Defender for my new Iphone5. the store's manager is a ham operater that I've known for fifteen years and displays his call sign proudly on his name badge.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.