• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Linear SSB relay problems

What amp was this or who was it made by? Sorry to hear about radio. That's why I always use a Cobra 29 to first test with. If something happens it's an $80 radio instead of big money.

Sounds like there was some oscillation going on and stray RF was saturating the relay keying transistor in the amp, eventually burning it out. That's why over time, it eventually knocked out the transistor so it immediately keyed when you turned it on. Sucks about what happened to the Kenwood tho... Crusher brings up a really good point, however. Always use an "el cheapo" radio for linear testing purposes, so the expensive gear don't get damaged. Bummer deal. :(

~Cheers~

Reactions: Crusher
So I have the same problem ...the relay stays in. I have to shut off linear switch to drop relay to get into receive again. This happens intermittently. What up?

Keying circuit, leaking transistor
I replaced a 26v 100mf cap on the board. I cut the leads tight to the underside but I did not notice that the legs had touched the heatsink. I saw the top of the cap had a slight bulge and that annoying relay thing was happening again. Sooooo again I replaced the cap but this time I used my nail clippers to really cut the legs and solder close to the board. I tested that thing all day today talking gibberish just to keep the relay popping in and I out. Not once did it stick!!! I also noticed my dk was slightly higher and my pep was outrageously higher. I now have a nice working amp..

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.