• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loud Audio

Why do you want the Yaesu FT-857D? Surely it is not for great AM performance. They can be made to sound half decent but not great on AM.

BTW I have had one since the first year they came out. First the non D model and then later the D model. With changes in factory software settings it sounds half decent but most CB's or export radios have much better AM audio.

Reactions: NZ8N
You can transmit quality HIFI audio from the dirt to the light but will they hear it?
That is what it comes down to.
Even commercial AM broadcast radio suffers this today with new radio manufactures designing radios with narrow IF filters and what you get is limited treble and bass. You get a pass band that is only acceptable for speech which is fine for talk radio, and which is EXACTLY what broadcast commercial AM radio has become!
Believe it or not at one time AM radio used to carry music in HIFI with a limit at 15kHz like FM radio. Only drawback was that it was in monotone, but even they solved that with stereo AM.
Of course that all failed as FM became popular but that is far outside the point here...

You can drive a CB PA stage with series modulation and can drive that sucker from DC to dog ear top end and unless the person on the other end has a radio with the bandwidth to receive it you are wasting your time.
Second of all we are talking two way radios. What we mostly do with these is TALK. So that whole opened up audio bandwidth... does it make any difference? NO. Unless you are broadcasting music no one will notice the opened ends. In fact that openness can be detrimental to long distance talk as it opens up audio bandwidth it also opens up RF bandwidth which has a negating effect on range per watt.
You may sound damn good to you but 99% of the other CB rigs will not hear it with their shitty built in speakers.

If you want fidelity and LOUDNESS you need to concentrate on the audio going in. You should run that microphone into a 8 pole all pass filter, compressor, limiter, clipper to get maximum voice power. It is the effect of brick walling your voice so that every damn thing you say is peaked instead of highly dynamic audio that a normal mic has.

NO RADIO has the ability to do this by itself that I am aware of.
Plug that mic jack into an outboard processor, leave the radio itself UNTOUCHED. All those mods you hear about are myths spread around by people who do not know better.
Increasing your average modulation percentage can give you much wider range than increasing your RF output.
This is a fact!

Before you decide to replace your final transistor or run a linear, think logically why you sound soft and distant. It has little to do with RF and most everything to do with modulation.
Push the radio to 100% modulation, 125% maximum and DO NOT push it past 95 negative% modulation or you just splatter on other channels and decrease range.

What radios do this well (as OP requested)...?
None of them. It really does require more than a microphone and a basic AMC built into the radio.
Nothing else will fix his, increasing the RF will not fix it, using a power mic will not fix it. All those things will do is piss off your neighbors and people 3 channels up or down :)

Reactions: 2 people
No, not really. I was mostly getting answers to questions I wasn't asking.

You asked a question than was far less complicated than the answer. You might want to re-read all of the comments and glean this info and try to understand it.

There is also several suggestive remarks about over-modulated junk piles, which is what I was clearly not referring to.

Many new and experienced operators on AM have a poor reputation for doing just this; it is the consequence of making it loud but doing it incorrectly.

Somehow asking about recommendations of a strong, AM, radio turns into referencing of the dirty CBer with hacked up radios.

Improperly 'hacked' radios have proved to be a problem for Hams who reap the disadvantages - when these CB radios/operators have been so improperly modded because they will give off 'spurious signals' - on the Ham bands! This naturally tends to get some hackles up here.

I am constantly repeating that I am seeking a radio with 100% modulation, not more.

Just about ANY radio can be set for 100%.

As CK pointed out, 100% modulation isn't necessarily a really loud radio. It is merely the point in which any stock radio will begin to create distortion due to the negative cycle of the carrier shutting off. He DID point out that by compressing the negative peak keeps this cutoff/distortion from occurring. Once the negative peak compression mod is done; then increasing the positive peak beyond 100% can be done - and this is what can make an AM radio perceivably 'louder'.

Also that the output is fairly standard of 4W carrier, not over tuned.

FYI - in AM mode having a 4 to 1 carrier to peak watts @100% modulation will also give the cleanest transmit for an unmodified radio. Modifying the negative peak with compression will alter this ratio. eg: 4w carrier w/16w PEP for a stock radio is 4:1; a radio when modified with the NPC/RC will have a ratio of 8:1 - or 2w dead key and 16w PEP (PEP = 'peak envelope power'). But it isn't set for 100% any more - either; it is much higher.

I am simply stating that every distributor lists all their product as being loud. And they can't all be loud. It is an impossible thing for all to be loud. That would make them the same, and I' sure there are a couple that stand apart.

Yes they can; if so modded. They sell what people want and ask for.

Some radios come from the mfr loud because they had modified the AM circuits. Magnum is one - because they have the TopGun Modulators installed; which is similar to the Negative Peak Compression/Reduced Carrier ('NPC/RC') mod. The other radios mention have the POTENTIAL to be made loud by doing modifications; but not necessarily 'loud' with factory specifications. A Galaxy has a strong audio circuit that can be loud transmitting IF further modified. AM only radios have a dedicated audio circuit w/large xfrmr which is different than the AM/SSB radios and also have the potential to be loud when modded.

Pick a SPECIFIC radio that you want BECAUSE it has all of the features you want; then discuss on another thread what can be done to it to improve its AM modulation. That might get the exact answer you seek . . .

People tend to desire quality of audio more than swing watts.

Simply not so; both can and must be accomplished if loud AM audio is the goal.
Having one and not the other is going about it the wrong way.

Yup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
a cobra 29 and a good tune with a good power mic can go up against any 10 meter radio in town

I will believe it. I expect the older Cobra 29/ Uniden PC76 will be at or near the top of the list. Even my China made Cobra 29 is a strong radio. I only question its longevity. When my wife heard me key up with it she said, "What radio is that? I think its the best sounding one I've heard." That was before my Uniden Grant XL. I would like to get my Uniden PC76 fixed and do a side by side comparison, with the modern Cobra 29. I'll wager the old, made in the Philippine, Uniden will be better, but maybe not.

I will believe it. I expect the older Cobra 29/ Uniden PC76 will be at or near the top of the list. Even my China made Cobra 29 is a strong radio. I only question its longevity. When my wife heard me key up with it she said, "What radio is that? I think its the best sounding one I've heard." That was before my Uniden Grant XL. I would like to get my Uniden PC76 fixed and do a side by side comparison, with the modern Cobra 29. I'll wager the old, made in the Philippine, Uniden will be better, but maybe not.

all of the uniden/cobra that have the side mic will be great talkers with a good tune .
i doubt you,ll see much [if any] difference between the china and philly made radios as
long as thier both SIDE MICS. the front mics im not sure i only ever tried a 68 with
the weatherband and it seemed to do good also. but never compared it to the older
ones

all of the uniden/cobra that have the side mic will be great talkers with a good tune .
i doubt you,ll see much [if any] difference between the china and philly made radios as
long as thier both SIDE MICS. the front mics im not sure i only ever tried a 68 with
the weatherband and it seemed to do good also. but never compared it to the older
ones

Uniden seemed to keep their s--t together as far as build quality, better than Cobra. Their (Uniden) front mic radios haven't declined much. The front mic/china version Cobras aren't built nearly as well as when they (Cobra) were built by Uniden. My modern does Cobra sound good, but as I said, I haven't compared it with my older model to see which or even if it is better.

Just for the record,whenever I send a radio to DTB to tune and align,I always ask him to set the modulation no higher than 100%. The only exception is the Uniden PRO505 XL I bought new from him and had him do an align and tune. The radio was only capable of 90-95% modulation and he suggested that a good power mic would help pick up any slack in that department.

It is safe to say that no CB can have more than 100% modulation and sound crisp, clear and loud. You can't go over 100%. I think when you talk about LOUD radios it is more in the quality of the sound. Some radios you can adjust to 100%and they don't sound loud at all. It is all about how the radio tunes up and how it handles itself afterwards. Each radio had an audio quality to it on the air which others just can't match.

Reactions: TOGAMAN
It is safe to say that no CB can have more than 100% modulation and sound crisp, clear and loud. You can't go over 100%. I think when you talk about LOUD radios it is more in the quality of the sound. Some radios you can adjust to 100%and they don't sound loud at all. It is all about how the radio tunes up and how it handles itself afterwards. Each radio had an audio quality to it on the air which others just can't match.

Apparently you either did not read all the posts in this thread or you don't understand them. It is entirely possible o exceed 100% mod for the reasons and using the methods I mentioned earlier. AM broadcasters do it everyday 24/7/365. When we discuss mod levels we reference the + mod levels and not the - unless you specifically mention it in relation to carrier cut-off.

Splattering = less range.

Darn! I have this old Midland 13-830 from 1976 just sitting around, taking up space....I thought I'd really make it loud....you know, cut the limiter.....then maybe for giggles and grins I'd throw an echo board in it, take it to the nearest truck stop, advertise it for sale....I figure some truckers would be all over it like white on rice, thinking it was a big radio of some sorts...:laugh:....but then again cutting the limiter on a radio w/o a mic gain I'm sure would make it into a splatter box....I'm not one to want to kill range or splatter.....:eek:

Apparently you either did not read all the posts in this thread or you don't understand them. It is entirely possible o exceed 100% mod for the reasons and using the methods I mentioned earlier. AM broadcasters do it everyday 24/7/365. When we discuss mod levels we reference the + mod levels and not the - unless you specifically mention it in relation to carrier cut-off.

I understand every post on this thread! I am just trying to help the person who started this thread. Most 11 meter users are not "broadcasters"! I am mearly trying to simplify this so someone who doesn't have a masters degree and a extra tech class license can comprehend. There are many radios who again and again make the top ten or five BEST am radios. It is the QUALITY of the AUDIO! It is the radio itself! Is not a radio with a mic, amplifier, magical kit and tune.

true

thank you. ive been trying to explain this for years.
all them swing kits super hack packs are just distortion.
just a good alignment is all you need. 99% of the time.

I understand every post on this thread! I am just trying to help the person who started this thread. Most 11 meter users are not "broadcasters"! I am mearly trying to simplify this so someone who doesn't have a masters degree and a extra tech class license can comprehend. There are many radios who again and again make the top ten or five BEST am radios. It is the QUALITY of the AUDIO! It is the radio itself! Is not a radio with a mic, amplifier, magical kit and tune.

I gave up on this thread anyway. People overthink a simple question, never really answer it, but think they are. It is ok. I just sent out my Uniden 76 XLW for repair at Bells and I will match it with a small amp. It will sound great and be loud without distortion. He worked on my Madison and I get tons of positive reports on how good I sound. It has a good tune. It probably doesn't even put out 15W PEP, but sounds AWESOME!! I have it paired with a Turner + Three desk mic. I will toss a small class AB amp once I get my big ground plane up on the 50' tower and kick butt on the air.
I am not even bothering to ask anymore and just go with my gut on this one. That being said, I am looking for a Cobra 146 GTL and a Cobra 138 XLR for my next purchases. I am guessing that they will scream once matched with a small amp.

See, I wasn't asking about tunes, over modulation, or big watts. I just wanted some input on well built radios that are loud, not distorted and hacked. People have issues and twist my question into their rants.

My bad. :blink: When I saw the quote above in bold which was was in direct opposition to what was stated, I obviously thought you meant what you were saying wasthat it was safe to say that no CB can have more than 100% modulation and sound crisp, clear and loud. You can't go over 100%.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.