• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco Shooting star or Gizmotchy 4?

Yap - I through the end caps away also.

When I had my beam up, I didn't use the caps either and I never heard it sing either, but it talked and heard pretty good. I think DXman can confirm that.

i've tried both a 4 element Gizmotchy and the Shooting Star and saw absolutly no difference i was trying to get a little more gain ground wave i just let propagation take care of the DX when conditions are good you can talk all over the world on a Antron 99 and 25 watts especially on SSB. i was trying to reach out further on Ground wave SSB mainly on horizontal. i had the 4 element GIZ up first then was told a better ground wave hitter would be the Shooting Star but after going thru the change i found no difference and thats why i went to Maco's 5 element that is dual polairity the HV. and boy what a difference it made found a whole new world horizontal ground wave on SSB talking 150 miles plus with just a 2950DX late night early morns when a lot of the guys that just run horizontal that mainly shoot dx rag chew ground wave.i now hear guys i never heard before. with either antenna you mentiond you won't go wrong they both get it done well. the plus with the GIZ is that you can expand it, but it seem like 5 elements is the breaking point to max dollar wise per performance. after that boom length added trouble to keep them up maintnace as well as beam width become major factors for anything bigger. so take a look at the Maco 5 element HV it's a dual polarity yagi it just does not have the wire reflector which seems not to make a whole lot of difference.

i've tried both a 4 element Gizmotchy and the Shooting Star and saw absolutly no difference i was trying to get a little more gain ground wave i just let propagation take care of the DX when conditions are good you can talk all over the world on a Antron 99 and 25 watts especially on SSB. i was trying to reach out further on Ground wave SSB mainly on horizontal. i had the 4 element GIZ up first then was told a better ground wave hitter would be the Shooting Star but after going thru the change i found no difference and thats why i went to Maco's 5 element that is dual polairity the HV. and boy what a difference it made found a whole new world horizontal ground wave on SSB talking 150 miles plus with just a 2950DX late night early morns when a lot of the guys that just run horizontal that mainly shoot dx rag chew ground wave.i now hear guys i never heard before. with either antenna you mentiond you won't go wrong they both get it done well. the plus with the GIZ is that you can expand it, but it seem like 5 elements is the breaking point to max dollar wise per performance. after that boom length added trouble to keep them up maintnace as well as beam width become major factors for anything bigger. so take a look at the Maco 5 element HV it's a dual polarity yagi it just does not have the wire reflector which seems not to make a whole lot of difference.

I love having both polarities also. I dont have a groundplane so it makes the 5 element h/v usefull in more types of conditons and works great for local or dx.

CD 45 rotor can handle up to 8.5 sq. ft. wind load.
Compare that to the wind load spec of the antenna that you are considering.
They usually post that specification at the mfr or distributor's web site. . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.