• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco V-58 vs. workman W-58

I sent what I believe you need. Looking forward to your

Thanks anyway SuperLid.

How about email?

I agree that Master Chief's, 2/26/20<> report did not work for me either.
I've never owned or seen a V58 up close, and the Base Section in the instructions shows ZERO dimensions in the details.

That said, I was just guessing at the whole Base Section dimensions.

Eddie - Marconi
I sent you two emails. Did you receive them? Did you find what you need?

I sent you two emails. Did you receive them? Did you find what you need?
Yes SuperLid, I received both emails and I thank you.
When I get to working on this new model, I might have a
question or two.

I'm currently using your info to remodel an old V58 done in 2017

Thanks, again.

Yes SuperLid, I received both emails and I thank you.
When I get to working on this new model, I might have a
question or two.

I'm currently using your info to remodel an old V58 done in 2017

Thanks, again.
Great! There are a few variants and design changes out there, so there should be questions. I built and tested a workman on the ground yesterday, and it tested well. But the base assy, was similar but not exactly like a Maco. What I found, was Maco now uses a thinner wall bottom tube, than workman does. That changed the inherent cap value of the base. A pF here and there makes a difference with this antenna.

Good news SL.

Does the W5/8 produce a manual similar or the same as Maco?
The story goes like this... The OLD Maco V58 (when Kelvin was the owner and produced the W58), and W58 manuals, were virtually identical. The names and part numbers, were changed, to protect the innocent. The current V58*A* (Charles Electronics owned), is slightly different. They changed the antenna, the model number and the manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828
Here is a question of interest. While you are talking about these two antennas,

maco V-58 vs. workman W-58​

which I have heard a lot of good things about and have considered trying myself. How do they compare to the
Hygain SPT500 Super Penetrator which I have tried? Which gets a lot of good reviews. Some of you old Diehards may have tried both so let's hear the strengths and weakness of both antenna type. And maybe the location type each one excels in. Myself I went back to the Sirio M400 Star Duster in this deep narrow valley because the old timers convinced me it radiated better in my situation ! Have at it !!!

Reactions: Marconi
Here is a question of interest. While you are talking about these two antennas,

maco V-58 vs. workman W-58​

which I have heard a lot of good things about and have considered trying myself. How do they compare to the
Hygain SPT500 Super Penetrator which I have tried? Which gets a lot of good reviews. Some of you old Diehards may have tried both so let's hear the strengths and weakness of both antenna type. And maybe the location type each one excels in. Myself I went back to the Sirio M400 Star Duster in this deep narrow valley because the old timers convinced me it radiated better in my situation ! Have at it !!!
I ran a Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 back in the day. I can't speak for the MFJ version, SPT-500, but I doubt it is exactly the same electrically and build quality. I know MFJ changed the beta match on their version. If you look at the description of the antenna on the MFJ website, it says it is 22' 9"' in length. The manual diagram shows it as 19' and the specs say 22'. I guess MFJ has no idea what it is... I will say that the Penetrator was a great antenna, probably as good as it gets, in respect to omni-directional antennas. I am not a fan of the ring match of the V58/W58, but it is what it is. When I tested my Workman that I built up here, it was working great. I would say my build is close in performance to a Penetrator or any of the true .625/.64 wave antennas.

Last edited:
I ran a Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 back in the day. I can't speak for the MFJ version, SPT-500, but I doubt it is exactly the same electrically and build quality. I know MFJ changed the beta match on their version. If you look at the description of the antenna on the MFJ website, it says it is 22' 9"' in length. The manual diagram shows it as 19' and the specs say 22'. I guess MFJ has no idea what it is... I will say that the Penetrator was a great antenna, probably as good as it gets, in respect to omni-directional antennas. I am not a fan of the ring match of the V58/W58, but it is what it is. When I tested my Workman that I built up here, it was working great. I would say my build is close in performance to a Penetrator or any of the true .625/.64 wave antennas.
I bought and ran the MFJ version of the SPT-500 and it was OK after I modified the Matching device because it shorted out in the rain because they put the top plastic insulator in upside down causing rain to puddle and short it out. It worked ok after the mod but I didn't try it long because the old timers advice lured me back to the Star Duster. That was a couple years ago when DX really stunk and I was trying every thing to get on the air. LOL

I bought and ran the MFJ version of the SPT-500 and it was OK after I modified the Matching device because it shorted out in the rain because they put the top plastic insulator in upside down causing rain to puddle and short it out. It worked ok after the mod but I didn't try it long because the old timers advice lured me back to the Star Duster. That was a couple years ago when DX really stunk and I was trying every thing to get on the air. LOL
I also built my own version of a Starduster here, that I ran for a bit not long ago. Good antenna, but I made mine DC grounded. Lightweight, easy up,. easy down and just simple and works!

I will be getting the Workman version here shortly to test very soon.

Reactions: whiteastro
I also built my own version of a Starduster here, that I ran for a bit not long ago. Good antenna, but I made mine DC grounded. Lightweight, easy up,. easy down and just simple and works!

I will be getting the Workman version here shortly to test very soon.
The Workman Star Duster was my first base antenna getting back into CB again and ran it for years with success and great SWR across the band until water got in it and it froze and split. Then I went to the Sirio Star Duster which I'm running now and it works great for this Stinking Valley. My heart yurns for the Mountain Top ! LOL

Reactions: hotrod
The Workman Star Duster was my first base antenna getting back into CB again and ran it for years with success and great SWR across the band until water got in it and it froze and split. Then I went to the Sirio Star Duster which I'm running now and it works great for this Stinking Valley. My heart yurns for the Mountain Top ! LOL
Since I am re-working Workman antennas, I will look at that issue when I get it here. I would like to know where it split. When did you get that antenna?

Since I am re-working Workman antennas, I will look at that issue when I get it here. I would like to know where it split. When did you get that antenna?
It split down at the bottom close to the coax connection and there is pics in here somewhere posted. Sirio put a weep hole in there antenna. I got that Workman sometime in the early 2000 time frame. I cleaned the mud bees out of it, closed it up and sealed it, then drilled a weep hole in it. Now it is in storage in my garage waiting to ride again if need be !

It split down at the bottom close to the coax connection and there is pics in here somewhere posted. Sirio put a weep hole in there antenna. I got that Workman sometime in the early 2000 time frame. I cleaned the mud bees out of it, closed it up and sealed it, then drilled a weep hole in it. Now it is in storage in my garage waiting to ride again if need be !
I found one pic of the weep hole. Did you post any of the split?

Not of the split. someone wanted to see the weep hole.That was a while back.I'm not good at finding info yet, need more practice. LOL
I get it though...the element filled up, where it meets the hub, froze and split. So, it is my understanding, that the Sirio version has weep holes drilled in these parts at the factory, where the Workman does not? I have not had a Sirio copy here and I have not seen an AS one in too many years to know if they did that as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.