• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257HP question to owner/users

Johnno

Jul 9, 2012
I bought one of these last week, and believe it or not, I am pretty happy with it.
My question to anyone who owns one is:
How hot does the heatsink get and how quickly?
Mine gets very hot, very quickly. Any and all experience with the Magnum 257HP RFX75 unit is welcomed and appreciated. :D

They can get hot pretty quick depending on output and how much you flap your jaw. Do you have any accurate output numbers?

I ran a little muffin fan attached to the heat sink with drywall anchors and powered by the radio. That arrangement kept things real cool with flapping jaws.

I had thr 257hp and Deltaforce hp 125w pep the heatsink got hot enough to burn your finger. I sold them due to the heat issue. They are nice radio IMO.

★ Sent from my Droid★

Last edited:
They can get hot pretty quick depending on output and how much you flap your jaw. Do you have any accurate output numbers?

I ran a little muffin fan attached to the heat sink with drywall anchors and powered by the radio. That arrangement kept things real cool with flapping jaws.

Hi m42

I had it hooked up to an Avair 1000 (Diamond clone) meter and a dummy load, meter was telling me around 70 watts.
I like the fan idea, where did you take power from?

Hi Vanilla

I like the radio, so I don't think I will go down that route, yet.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just did it quick and dirty.

Ran power wires down cord into the quick disconnect. You can draw from inside the radio, but I wanted to keep my tamper seal intact.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Another Magnum 257HP owner. Mine gets pretty warm even at 1/2 power. Hopefully your radio isn't plagued with the problems these radios had.

Right, I went out at lunch time and bought 2x 12 volt 40mm fans, if i connect them in series and apply voltage that will make them go slower, am I correct?

Another Magnum 257HP owner. Mine gets pretty warm even at 1/2 power. Hopefully your radio isn't plagued with the problems these radios had.

The guy who sold it to me did a couple of mods, that he got from a tech at Magnum USA which are supposed to rectify the problems they have, I watched him do them. Time will tell if they work, but so far so good except for the heat generated.

I question why operators buy these radios and don't know how they operate and then blow them up and then blame the company that made the radio.

These operators aren't aware that the output devices are MOSFETs in these radios and not bipolar transistors. They aren't aware that a MOSFET can be driven until they pop and a bipolar transistor will keep on ticking at its smaller output limit. They also don't realize that a single TO-220 package MOSFET (eg. IRF520N) will put out twice as much power as a bipolar transistor (eg. 2SC1969) will. So, the first thing they do is squeeze the last milliwatt out of the MOSFET radio and then cry because it blew up.

Late model Galaxy and Ranger radios have MOSFETs in them as well, and they will fry if you try to run them at the edge of their limit too. No ones receiver can hear the difference between 80 watts and 55 watts. So let it run cool and therefore last a long time. It's simply one - or the other.

Sure - putting a fan on it should be done too.
Excellent idea.

If you want to keep these radios alive; then make sure that the antenna has the best SWR, power wires are heavy enough for the amperage draw, don't over-drive the mic input, and USE ONLY 3/4 the peak rated output that the radio. If it has an RFX-75 on it; then use it with no more than 75 watts output. Run it at 100 watts; and then blame yourself for it failing. The buck stops here. It doesn't matter that your second cousin twice removed Billy-Bob says you can do 125 watts. Or anyone else for that matter. The heat sink on these radios just cannot cope with that much heat before it lets the MOSFET barf. The output DEVICE ITSELF dictates just how much can be expected of it. Not Billy-Bob . . .

lol . . .

EDIT:
BTW - Dosy watts don't count. It isn't accurate and will NOT show true peak output. They simply are not designed to read peak watts. That is another thing that Billy-Bob was wrong about too. Peak watts simply will not be seen; and unless you have a true peak-reading meter - you have no idea just how much it is really putting out.

Last edited:
I question why operators buy these radios and don't know how they operate and then blow them up and then blame the company that made the radio.

These operators aren't aware that the output devices are MOSFETs in these radios and not bipolar transistors. They aren't aware that a MOSFET can be driven until they pop and a bipolar transistor will keep on ticking at its smaller output limit. They also don't realize that a single TO-220 package MOSFET will put out twice as much power as a bipolar transistor will. So, the first thing they do is squeeze the last milliwatt out of the MOSFET radio and then cry because it blew up.

Late model Galaxy and Ranger radios have MOSFETs in them as well, and they will fry if you try to run them at the edge of their limit too. No ones receiver can hear the difference between 80 watts and 55 watts. So let it run cool and therefore last a long time. It's simply one - or the other.

Sure - putting a fan on it should be done too.
Excellent idea.

If you want to keep these radios alive; then make sure that the antenna has the best SWR, power wires are heavy enough for the amperage draw, don't over-drive the mic input, and USE ONLY 3/4 the peak rated output that the radio. If it has an RFX-75 on it; then use it with no more than 75 watts output. Run it at 100 watts; and then blame yourself for it failing. The buck stops here. It doesn't matter that your second cousin twice removed Billy-Bob says you can do 125 watts. Or anyone else for that matter. The heat sinks on these radios just cannot cope with that much heat before it lets the MOSFET barf. The output DEVICE ITSELF dictates just how much can be expected of it. Not Billy-Bob . . .

lol . . .

EDIT:
BTW - Dosy watts don't count. It isn't accurate and will NOT show true peak output. They simply are not designed to read peak watts. That is another thing that Billy-Bob was wrong about too.

Hmmm, was this directed at me?

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.