• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MC145106P info needed

Techno1

Feb 21, 2022
New Hampshire
Would anyone know if there is a post or write up on a channel mod for the mb8719 and mb8734 radios replacing it with a MC145106P pll

I know the MC145106p chip you can get more channels out of it than the mb8719 plls.

I have seen an actual kit you just plug into the removed 8719 and replaced with the MC145106.
See picture.
There is a rotary switch also on the kit.

Was wondering if anyone has seen this floating around?

thanks and MERRY XMAS TO ALL

Attachments

• 406387358_735812971307733_5146690166240110945_n.jpg
    406387358_735812971307733_5146690166240110945_n.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 24

It is an intriguing idea, but I've never seen a kit for that personally, and to do the swap would likely require some frequency juggling. The typical MC145106 chassis (Galaxy, Connex, etc) uses different loop oscillator and VCO frequencies. You photo shows what appears to be an extra crystal wired in somehow, but I can't really tell where from the photo.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
From what little info I have you need to have the 11.3258 xtal in circuit and you can see a rotary switch.

I also know there is another chip on the channel board.
Here is another picture with the 2000 going to 29.125mhz.

Thats about all the info i have on this channel kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_23.jpg
    Screenshot_23.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 17
In my net search I did see that but needs to be connected to the DigiMax.
the one I saw on a site explains>
remove the 8719 install socket and plugin the channel module.
then mount the rotary sw.
No hooking to a digimax.
So Im hoping to track this down as it looks very interesting for a channel kit.
Says it will work in both the 8719 and 8734 boards with the 11.3258 xtal.

In my net search I did see that but needs to be connected to the DigiMax.
the one I saw on a site explains>
remove the 8719 install socket and plugin the channel module.
then mount the rotary sw.
No hooking to a digimax.
So Im hoping to track this down as it looks very interesting for a channel kit.
Says it will work in both the 8719 and 8734 boards with the 11.3258 xtal.
You are on your own with this one, only blame yourself for even thinking it's an easy job. A job like this will prove that you can fix a radio, as you get to that part while doing the mod and the radio stops working ..... then hope the kids aren't around to learn new words.........

The first thing you should do is take out the original PLL, put a socket in its place, and then modify the trace circuit to work with the 145106. By the time you figure out what jumper goes where you'll know enough about PLLs to continue. Whatever you do, don't let the smoke out. There is enough information on the internet to do that much. It will work to this point.

The best place to start is with schematics of radios with the 145106 PLL, then finding out that the 8719 PLL can also be used in those same boards, but in different radios proving that it can be done.

Once you can turn the radio on and be able to change to whatever channels or frequencies you have with the stock channel selector..... you'll have a basic understanding telling you what needs to be done to keep moving on. This is where you'll spend more time researching on the internet, the problems will snowball.

The obstacles; will be getting to all the available frequencies, broadbanding TX and Rec, and then finding out that the VCO will soon stop working not letting your dreams come true even though you know they are in there. There is information out there on how to modify the VCO, but soon enough you'll find that it's not enough and it makes you study the VCO operation even more.

At this point before making a mess of a good radio ..... you'll rewire and put the 8719 back in the radio and hope you didn't screw up any of the original settings.

It would be cheaper to buy a "Radioddity QT60" radio that already has everything you wanted in the 8719 radio ........ and hope you have a ham ticket to use some of those frequencies.

Make the right choice ...... "Use your mind!" (Rick and Morty S7E7 2023)

South of the border 220 miles south of Phoenix,Az

Sometimes I login using a US vpn or just my regular ip with no problem in both cases
Im here in Boston Ma. So I tried everything to log in and nothing. Oh well I think they are blocking USA IP addresses so you cant log in but can only view the forum.

Merry Xmas to all

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.