• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJunk.......

The only MFJ kit I ever assembled was the conversion kit for turning a 259 into a 259A, probably 15 years ago. And it really WAS a kit. Took the original 259 from a one-meter unit to two individual meters and made some other less-noticeable but nice modifications to the original design.

I used the 259A for 4-5 years before the 259B came out. And I've never had a bit of a problem with my 259B. Nor with any other MFJ product.

I guess I have been lucky. I have had two tnc's, wattmeter, mike/tnc switch and a 949E tuner and all worked fine out of the box.

I should probably clarify my statement above. I do not have very much MFJ gear but what I do have does work well and as it was intended. The only thing is that with the 269 antenna analyzer I had to tighten the antenna jack as well as tighten the screws that hold the circuit board. The load resistor in my MFJ-264 dummy load was not inserted properly into the fuse clip holder and needed to be loosened off,adjusted, and retightened.My 1700B antenna/transmitter switch had some loose screws on a couple of the SO-239 jacks. A friend's high power 9982 tuner had a missing set screw on the handle of the roller inductor and a missing bolt on the hot end of the inductor itself. That thing went off like a fire cracker when he fired up his Commander HF-2500amp. It actually welded the components together where they should have been bolted. All in all I would not say that MFJ is junk but IMHO they sure do have a pi$$ poor quality control department.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.