• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile 10 through 12 meters

docrock

Nov 6, 2012
Hello, is anyone aware of a mobile antenna made specifically to tune 10 and 12 meters? I can find 10 meter mobiles and 12m mobiles but haven't found one that will tune both. Maybe a motorized screw or something of that nature.

I've never seen a 10/12 meter antenna as such. An auto/screwdriver antenna would seem a bit much for just two bands so close together. A couple of hamsticks or similar would certainly be cheaper.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 3 people
I've never seen a 10/12 meter antenna as such. An auto/screwdriver antenna would seem a bit much for just two bands so close together. A couple of hamsticks or similar would certainly be cheaper.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Two ham sticks on some type of double mount might work but the "gotcha" there is the mount.

Reactions: 1 person
Another alternative is to use a 10 meter antenna such as a hamstick and just chance the stinger for 12 meters. It would definitely require some effort to find the right stingers and settings, but it shouldn't be impossible by any means. An antenna made specifically for 10/12 meters would basically do something of the same sort, I would think.
- 'Doc

My predator 10k on a triple magnet mount is tuned 1.1:1 on 27.000. On 28.500 it is about 1.8:1. On 24.945 it is about 2.8:1. With my ic706mk2g, i can make MOST 10 & 12m contacts i attempt. More often then i can on 11m, i guess due to congestion. I turn back the power on the icom to show 30 watts on 12m, 10 & 11m i leave it set to 'H', which shows about 60 watts on my mobile rms meter. Is it efficient as it could be? Of course not. I already change ham sticks for 6m, 20m & 40m. If i can talk those 3 bands without having to pull over & swap antennas, i'm good :)
I've had many a ham tell me i cant do this or i'm lying. Trust me, i get out just fine on 10 & 12 like this.

get a antenna tuner and whip antenna...

Why didn't I think of saying this. I ran this setup before I acquired my screwdriver antenna. I used a 17 meter HamStick with my LDG tuner and ran 10,15,17 and 20 with it. I choose 17 because it was near the middle of those bands, little long for some and little short for others. For 10/12 just use a 12 meter HS, it will be long on 10 but better long then short (thats what she said).

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio