• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

monkeymade or predator?

Ive heard that the transistors cause harmonics inside the case of a texas star
No.

how can i check the antenna output connector on the amp and radio to see if they are indeed 50hm. Ive heard some say the swr bridge in the amp may be off.

Unless someone has dinked around with the inside of the radio, it IS 50 ohm at the output.
Texas Star has been building Amps for a long time the same way, and unless something has changed inside your amp it should be fine.
With a custom built amp I could see if the match was off.

I have a #8 ground wire from the frame to the antenna bracket (2" x 4" x3/16")

RF likes to see a nice path to ground, Straps are best for grounding, the wider the better...
It is not the same as DC.

It is much more likely that you are seeing an antenna/ground issue.
Move the antenna away from the cab.

Jeff

Getting an antenna this weekend, which performs (is the better) antenna?
Ive never owned either and only running an Omegaforce s45hp and a dx500v ( for now) maybe a sweet16 later.
It will be mounted about 8-9" away from the cab, on the passenger side bed.
An Magnum OF/S45 radio has too much output for the Texas Star amp. Danger Will Robinson - you might blow up the amp! You will have to turn the RF Output knob all of the way down. You will also need to turn off the 'TopGun' feature too. Adjust the output of the radio DOWN until you see no more than 20 watts output at peak for best results.

http://www.texasstar.com/export/specifications.html

Do you have a watt meter and know how to use it?
If not; then I can already smell smoke - and trouble.

If yo don't know what you are doing, either ask more questions or drive your setup to a CB shop that can dial everything together correctly.

Thx for everyones input! Ive heard that the transistors cause harmonics inside the case of a texas star, thats why the swr goes up when its on. Any truth to that? I will move the antenna around.
And how can i check the antenna output connector on the amp and radio to see if they are indeed 50hm. Ive heard some say the swr bridge in the amp may be off. Im just kinda learnin, so bear with me guys, but I AM LISTENING TO YOU ALL.

Do you have a ground wire (a braided copper wire - in particular) from the vehicle chassis to the amp? That is a standard procedure when using an amp - and you made no mention of this important factor! Are you using #6 or #8 gauge wire from the battery to the amp? You must do that too. You've got all this equipment - yet you don't know how do hook it up right. Shouldn't get ahead of yourself - IMO. Take your time and do each step correctly.

It may be far easier for you to get the antenna part of your project right by just getting a Wilson 5000 magnet mount and put it on the top/center of your cab. The Wilson 5000 will handle all of the power you want to throw at it. Mounting this antenna on the roof of your cab will ensure that it will radiate evenly. Mounting an antenna on the bed - regardless of the fact that you want to use a Predator antenna on it - will NOT have an even radiation pattern when transmitting.

Don't even consider getting a 'sweet sixteen' amp - until you can afford a replacement higher amperage alternator and perhaps another battery too.

Considering that you are trying to run before you can crawl tells me that you are going to make serious mistakes!

Lotta nice people on this forum that will help you if you just ask the right question; so don't be afraid to take the time to do it right . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Got to agree with Robb about turning the radio down, I did not realize it was the one with the RFX unit on the back.
You do not want the Texas star to dead key more than about 125/150 watts with no audio on AM mode.

Jeff

Radio >>>> Coax>>>> amp>>>>coax>>> SWR meter>>>> Coax>>> antenna.

That is exactly how i got everything, and i do recalibrate swr meter for each power setting, ( 1.Radio alone, 2. amp on mid power, 3. amp at high power).
Amp came from COPPER and they converted it.
Sounds like antenna placement and/or ground, im on those 2 things! check back in a couple days for an update Thx evreyone

An Magnum OF/S45 radio has too much output for the Texas Star amp. Danger Will Robinson - you might blow up the amp! You will have to turn the RF Output knob all of the way down. You will also need to turn off the 'TopGun' feature too. Adjust the output of the radio DOWN until you see no more than 20 watts output at peak for best results.

Texas Star Export Feature Chart

Do you have a watt meter and know how to use it?
If not; then I can already smell smoke - and trouble.

If yo don't know what you are doing, either ask more questions or drive your setup to a CB shop that can dial everything together correctly.

Do you have a ground wire (a braided copper wire - in particular) from the vehicle chassis to the amp? That is a standard procedure when using an amp - and you made no mention of this important factor! Are you using #6 or #8 gauge wire from the battery to the amp? You must do that too. You've got all this equipment - yet you don't know how do hook it up right. Shouldn't get ahead of yourself - IMO. Take your time and do each step correctly.

It may be far easier for you to get the antenna part of your project right by just getting a Wilson 5000 magnet mount and put it on the top/center of your cab. The Wilson 5000 will handle all of the power you want to throw at it. Mounting this antenna on the roof of your cab will ensure that it will radiate evenly. Mounting an antenna on the bed - regardless of the fact that you want to use a Predator antenna on it - will NOT have an even radiation pattern when transmitting.

Don't even consider getting a 'sweet sixteen' amp - until you can afford a replacement higher amperage alternator and perhaps another battery too.

Hi just to thro in some tid bits for everyones further review..
I do (only) run the radio at 1 1/2-2W deadkey, and turn mic gain down to about 35-40W pep,TOP GUN MODULATOR OFF, TS say the 2879's will operate with 6W (10w max), so, times four equals 24-40w, if thats right,
So i am seeing 120w deadkey and 490 pep, 1 to 4 ratio?
I have an 06 dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab cummins diesel,
(say that 3 times fast), so already have 2 batts.
130 amp alt, @14.5V using #6 stranded wire from batt to amp,50amp fuse at the batt
(i think the amp has#8 pigtails, hot and ground)
#8 wire from amp to seat bracket, Bout 1ft long,
#8 wire up to ant bracket from the frame,
Roadtech (pilot) open coil 1000w, 6, in length, about 8-10 inch behind cab.
Coax,all is RG8X, from radio to the amp is 9', coax from amp to meter is
3'(when inline Dosy TC-4001) and,from the meter to the antenna is 12'

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Robb, Sorry for the delay about turning the radio down. some time s there is a post or 2 before i can respond back. I Do have it turned down.

OK; add a braided wire for a ground wire from the amp to the chassis.

Thanks for clearing up that info.

The Texas Star spec sheet shows 20 watts input into the amp. But no more than 30 watts peak (like - screaming into the mic) for the radio output.

Last edited:
dxing440:

As a guess, if your antenna is just behind the cab and the SWR goes up when the power is on, then i would have to say that it is just too close to the cab.

I would still ground the amp to the chassis too.
Just needs to be done to be right . . .

The biggest difference between a Monkey made and Predator is if you whack a low hanging branch the Predator will break and the Monkey will tear the roof off.

Thanks ill try moving the antenna and do. More grounding. May go with wilson 5000 or go with another antenna anyhow if I get bigger amp.
Would a ts 1200 or 1600 handle the 80~100pep from this radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.